Prospect Info: #110 OA - Goalie - Joren Van Pottelberghe, SWEDEN-JR. U18

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I judge draft picks mainly on their name since I don't know much else about them.

And I'm sorry to say but Van Pottelberghe is one of those names that has BUST written all over it.

Hey but by that logic, Svechnikov kinda sounds like Ovechkin, so we should be alright :)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
"The Wings took 6-foot-3 Joren Van Pottelberghe, a Swiss goalie, who last year moved to Sweden. Andersson believes the Wings may have landed a gem with the fourth-round pick as most teams more than likely overlooked his situation with Linköpings last season.

“He was scheduled to be their No. 1 goalie on the Junior A team, and their only goalie on the Junior B team got injured at the beginning of the year, so they had nobody else,†Andersson said. “They had to play him because he’s a ’97 and could play on the Junior B team. Their other Junior A goalie was a ’96, so they couldn’t send him down. The kid ended up playing a lot of Junior B games. You have to know why. I don’t know if some teams thought he’s not good enough to play on the Junior A team, but there was a reason why he played a lot down there.â€"

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772706&navid=DL|DET|home

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I respect Hakan, but ... how many times have we read about how excited he is about the steals they nabbed, only to end up with Rasmus Bodin, Jesper Samuelsson, Johan Ryno, etc?

He's always excited. Sometimes for good reason. Usually not. I'm going to keep my powder dry and hope this pick pans out. Going to need more than excited Hakan noises before I buy though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I respect Hakan, but ... how many times have we read about how excited he is about the steals they nabbed, only to end up with Rasmus Bodin, Jesper Samuelsson, Johan Ryno, etc?

He's always excited. Sometimes for good reason. Usually not. I'm going to keep my powder dry and hope this pick pans out. Going to need more than excited Hakan noises before I buy though.

Well half our top 4 on defense and 4 out of our top 6 forwards have came from him, so I'm not gonna doubt the guy too much. He misses like anyone else, but he's also the reason we're still relevant.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's a pick at 110. Isn't that when you said you take goalies, sarcasto? Unless the stance is NEVER draft a goalie, I'm not sure I get the hard stance here and undermining our best scout because he talks positively about his picks.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
It's a pick at 110. Isn't that when you said you take goalies, sarcasto? Unless the stance is NEVER draft a goalie, I'm not sure I get the hard stance here and undermining our best scout because he talks positively about his picks.

I'm not sold this is a real person, let alone a real goalie. His name sounds awfully made up to me.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not sold this is a real person, let alone a real goalie. His name sounds awfully made up to me.

His name is Mr. Snrub and he comes from somewhere... far away. Yes, that'll do.

latest

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

It's at the early edge of when I might take a goalie. Like I said, I don't have a specific problem with the pick. They've already had two picks so anyone they were desperate to get, they would have gotten already. Clearly they like the guy and they are not sold on Perry. And I wasn't undermining Hakan, just pointing out that even the guys who are really good at scouting miss like 75% of the time. With goalies, more like 90%.

Let's not proclaim him the next big thing just because he's a Hakan guy. Hakan has admitted he doesn't know much about goalies.

And it's not like I suggested it would be quite quarking if they donated the pick to the local energy concern.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Let's not proclaim him the next big thing just because he's a Hakan guy. Hakan has admitted he doesn't know much about goalies.

And it's not like I suggested it would be quite quarking if they donated the pick to the local energy concern.

Who is doing that?

Hard to get excited about a goalie pick when we're sitting on the heir apparent in Mrazek, but keeping a nice stock of goalies usually works out okay. And, if they work out, and you end up with too many goalies like the Rangers or Ottawa you can flip the young promising goalies for nice draft picks. Ottawa got into the 1st round with Lehner, and the Rangers got 3 picks for Talbot (57th, 79th and 184th).

.... And I hope you have a grappling hook to make a speedy exit.

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
Was very good for Switzerland at the WJC18, it was a surprise since he chose the "unconventional" route for swiss players and went young abroad to develop, so we didn't see as much as usual.
Difficult to say but Switzerland has tradition of good goalie, to some people Van Potterberghe reminds of young Hiller. We will see.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
With his shootout loss he'll fit right in with the Red Wings organization.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
In one of the most unconventional decisions I've seen in European hockey, he's been loaned to Rungsted, Denmark.

A Few Good Males

Apr 15, 2018
Detroit, MI
An unfortunate situation for JVP, however this may influence him to come to NA next year. The Wings brass wanted him to come over this year but he chose not to.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well last season he shared the net with Gilles Senn, another talented young netminder...they weren't great but not too bad either with both around 0,905% and 3 GAA. Not sure if the team expected magic things from them but for some reason they got Anders Lindback in what looks like a desperation move. As we all know, Lindberg sucks. Just let in 7 goals against Langnau, one of the worst teams in Switzerland. Both Van Pottelberghe and Senn are much better than Lindberg. I think this situation will sort itself out eventually once they chased Lindberg outta town...still you can probably expect some hard feelings. Those kind of three goalies situations are never easy...particularly if they happen like that. Also has to be said that Davos doesn't have any money...they wouldn't even exist without the Spengler Cup. Surely not the way you wanna spend your money if you don't have enough of it.

I agree that it would be best for Van Pottelberghe to go over to NA and compete for playing time in Grand Rapids.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well last season he shared the net with Gilles Senn, another talented young netminder...they weren't great but not too bad either with both around 0,905% and 3 GAA. Not sure if the team expected magic things from them but for some reason they got Anders Lindback in what looks like a desperation move. As we all know, Lindberg sucks. Just let in 7 goals against Langnau, one of the worst teams in Switzerland. Both Van Pottelberghe and Senn are much better than Lindberg. I think this situation will sort itself out eventually once they chased Lindberg outta town...still you can probably expect some hard feelings. Those kind of three goalies situations are never easy...particularly if they happen like that. Also has to be said that Davos doesn't have any money...they wouldn't even exist without the Spengler Cup. Surely not the way you wanna spend your money if you don't have enough of it.

I agree that it would be best for Van Pottelberghe to go over to NA and compete for playing time in Grand Rapids.

Davos with yet another loss. 38-28 SOG but since Lindback only stopped 23 they still lost 2-5. Man is that guy brutal. I can't believe they sent van Pottelberghe to Denmark to play Lindback. Terrible move:laugh:

Last edited:

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I agree that it would be best for Van Pottelberghe to go over to NA and compete for playing time in Grand Rapids.[/QUOTE said:
Doesn't sound like JP is good enough to play in GR. Maybe Toledo.....

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
It's at the early edge of when I might take a goalie. Like I said, I don't have a specific problem with the pick. They've already had two picks so anyone they were desperate to get, they would have gotten already. Clearly they like the guy and they are not sold on Perry. And I wasn't undermining Hakan, just pointing out that even the guys who are really good at scouting miss like 75% of the time. With goalies, more like 90%.

I remember an interview with Hakan at the draft this year (HSJ?) where he said he didn't know much about goalies and relied on his colleagues for selections.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Doesn't sound like JP is good enough to play in GR. Maybe Toledo.....

Don't be ridiculous now. If Van Pottelberghe wanted to play for the Griffins the Wings probably wouldn't have signed Sateri and went with Rybar/Van Pottelberghe in Grand Rapids instead. Joren may not be quite as good as Sateri or Rybar right now but he's also significantly younger and easily good enough to play AHL. He played in Europe's 2nd best league for two seasons...he wasn't great but not too bad either. He could easily play 30-40% behind a good starter like Rybar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad