Prospect Info: #110 OA - Goalie - Joren Van Pottelberghe, SWEDEN-JR. U18

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Joren Van Pottelberghe will be a stud because he has a sweet name.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
The only reason I don't hate this pick is because Paterson kind of stinks and I have no idea what to think about Perry.

Based on usage and stats from the games he did play, Perry looks pretty bad. Not surprised they took a goalie, even if I think taking goalies is almost always a waste of a draft pick. At least they didn't take one early. I hope I've seen the last first round goalie pick in team history.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
This guy could be a good backup just because of his name. Dont know why we drafted him though, Coreau was pretty good.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
[...] even if I think taking goalies is almost always a waste of a draft pick.

Why is that? Nearly every great goalie in the NHL was drafted. Even if later, they were drafted.

The best goalie last year was a 5th overall. In fact, of all the starting goalies around the league, there's a really high percentage of 1st round picks. Price, Dubnyk, Fleury, Lehtonen, Varlomov, Schnieder, Luongo, Ward, Bernier. After that, there's a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks. The minority is the undrafted goalie.

The best goalie prospects were all taken in the first couple rounds, too. I'd say goalie scouting is improving dramatically and the out of nowhere late bloomer will become more and more rare.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Why is that? Nearly every great goalie in the NHL was drafted. Even if later, they were drafted.

The best goalie last year was a 5th overall. In fact, of all the starting goalies around the league, there's a really high percentage of 1st round picks. Price, Dubnyk, Fleury, Lehtonen, Varlomov, Schnieder, Luongo, Ward, Bernier. After that, there's a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round picks. The minority is the undrafted goalie.

The best goalie prospects were all taken in the first couple rounds, too. I'd say goalie scouting is improving dramatically and the out of nowhere late bloomer will become more and more rare.

First off, goalie development is almost a total crapshoot. There have been studies on goalie success vs draft position and there is much less correlation between draft spot and NHL success than with skaters. Case in point, how many of those first round goalies panned out for the team that drafted them? Half? Even if you draft a goalie that ends up being a keeper, odds are good you won't be the one to reap the benefits. That's even worse than picking a bust.

Second, you can only play one goalie at a time. Granted, it's more important to have a competent goalie than any other single player on the ice, but it also means you only need one every ten years or so. Organizational depth is important, but late round and undrafted goalies very often do just as well in that regard. Plus, per point one, there are always goalies that other teams have given up on that you can bring in and try to fix. Happens pretty regularly.

Saying that the best goalie last year was fifth overall is pretty silly too, since we won't know who the best goalie from that draft is for another ten years. Dude hasn't even played yet.

Bottom line, given the volatility of the position I don't believe it's ever an acceptable value proposition to take a goalie early. Take a late round guy one in a while, sign some undrafteds, and use your early picks on skaters with much, much better chance of playing.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Saying that the best goalie last year was fifth overall is pretty silly too, since we won't know who the best goalie from that draft is for another ten years. Dude hasn't even played yet.

Bottom line, given the volatility of the position I don't believe it's ever an acceptable value proposition to take a goalie early. Take a late round guy one in a while, sign some undrafteds, and use your early picks on skaters with much, much better chance of playing.

Carey Price.

Eh, whatever. I look at the great young goalies coming into the league and nearly all of them were taken in the first couple rounds. I think scouting has finally caught up in that area.

Anchor Town*

First off, goalie development is almost a total crapshoot. There have been studies on goalie success vs draft position and there is much less correlation between draft spot and NHL success than with skaters. Case in point, how many of those first round goalies panned out for the team that drafted them? Half? Even if you draft a goalie that ends up being a keeper, odds are good you won't be the one to reap the benefits. That's even worse than picking a bust.

Second, you can only play one goalie at a time. Granted, it's more important to have a competent goalie than any other single player on the ice, but it also means you only need one every ten years or so. Organizational depth is important, but late round and undrafted goalies very often do just as well in that regard. Plus, per point one, there are always goalies that other teams have given up on that you can bring in and try to fix. Happens pretty regularly.

Link to studies? Do they qualify draft position by round or by pick number? Most 1st round goalies are picked later in the round whereas forwards are picked on average at about spot 14. It's no wonder that 1st round forwards pan out more often than 1st round goalies based on that alone.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Not a very impressive goalie tbh. But he does have room to grow ofc and you never know.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I see people who are not happy with this pick. I have not seen any video so I will just say wait for bout 5-7 years and if he is still around in the organization than be judgemental. Goalie was not a big need. I will give the Wings scouting staff the benefit of the doubt. They don't hit on every player but he maybe another PM!!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I see people who are not happy with this pick. I have not seen any video so I will just say wait for bout 5-7 years and if he is still around in the organization than be judgemental. Goalie was not a big need. I will give the Wings scouting staff the benefit of the doubt. They don't hit on every player but he maybe another PM!!

I watched some video of him last night and what really stood out to me was his aggressiveness, compete level (never gives up to make a save; acrobatic) and quickness. Honestly, his style reminds me of Mrazek.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I judge draft picks mainly on their name since I don't know much else about them.

And I'm sorry to say but Van Pottelberghe is one of those names that has BUST written all over it.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Carey Price.

Eh, whatever. I look at the great young goalies coming into the league and nearly all of them were taken in the first couple rounds. I think scouting has finally caught up in that area.

I thought you were saying the best goalie taken in last year's draft. Which would be silly. Price is legit and was a top pick, that is true.

Rinne, late round pick. Bishop, late round pick. Quick, late round pick. Etc. Even the Wings favor their own late round goalie over their 2nd rounder. Volatility in the early rounds is too high for goalies.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
This guy getting tryout contracts from teams, perhaps?

Wouldn't surprise me if he did. I dont understand at all how he didn't get picked. He was spectacular at the U-18's. easily the best goalie in the tournament. Had good numbers on the both his junior and Mestis team. Mestis is a pretty solid mens league. Yet the backup on his junior team gets drafted and he doesn't. his backup might be decent, I really dont know, but I'm thinking there's a reason why he was the backup there and also not one of Finland's 3 three goalies at the U-18's, where Vehvilainen was the clear number one and played every game.

How scouts could watch that performance and not think he deserved to at least get picked in the 7th round is mind boggling to me.

I dont know what JYP's plans are with him next season, with Tarkki and Saikkonen under contract, but I could see it becoming a situation similar to Ville Husso, where he should have been drafted in his draft year, got passed over, and ends up going 94th the next year.

Either way, I think this guy has a future, even if he got passed over this year.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
I watched some video of him last night and what really stood out to me was his aggressiveness, compete level (never gives up to make a save; acrobatic) and quickness. Honestly, his style reminds me of Mrazek.

Good the wings can use another PM!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad