Recalled/Assigned: 11 Players To Belleville Following Loss To Habs

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
The only ones that are surprising to me are Lajoie and Veronneau. They looked to be in the mix but they'll almost certainly be back at some point in the year. Both showed well imo.

Formenton was really disappointing. I expected him to have a shot coming into camp. Belleville is the right spot for him though. He's got a lot of areas to work on and that's really the best place for him now.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
Not really surprised by any of them
Maybe Lajoie but we have to play Boro on LD

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
The only ones that are surprising to me are Lajoie and Veronneau. They looked to be in the mix but they'll almost certainly be back at some point in the year. Both showed well imo.

Formenton was really disappointing. I expected him to have a shot coming into camp. Belleville is the right spot for him though. He's got a lot of areas to work on and that's really the best place for him now.

Those were the only two that surprised me as well. Formenton to me really needs to handle the puck at a high volume. Granted I think people need to measure their offensive expectations with him. He’s not a natural finisher. I’m happy Abramov is still up. DJ’s high on him apparently. Chlapik hasn’t had enough game time as of yet, and neither has Brown. Doubt they stick around though. Not wild about Balcers on the 4th line so maybe he’ll get sent down initially too.

Reactions: NyQuil and Cosmix

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Scott Sabourin is gonna make the team, baby!

SABUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

tenor.gif
a

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Here's who's left...

G: Anderson/Nilsson/Hogberg

D: Boro/Brannstrom/Chabot/DeMelo/Goloubef/Hainsey/Jaros/Zaitsev

F: Anisimov/Balcers/Batherson/Boedker/C.Brown/L.Brown/Chlapik/Duclair/Ennis/Kelly/Pageau/Paul/Ryan/Sabourin/Szwarz/Tierney/Tkachuk/White

Injured: Wolanin and Abramov

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Those were the only two that surprised me as well. Formenton to me really needs to handle the puck at a high volume. Granted I think people need to measure their offensive expectations with him. He’s not a natural finisher. I’m happy Abramov is still up. DJ’s high on him apparently. Chlapik hasn’t had enough game time as of yet, and neither has Brown. Doubt they stick around though. Not wild about Balcers on the 4th line so maybe he’ll get sent down initially too.
Yeah, judging by the pregame talking heads it sounds like Abramov is in the mix. He also has a concussion though so I don't know if they can actually send him down while injured. Won't be too butthurt if he's sent down. Can definitely use some time to refine his touch around the net. That seems like where he's gonna score from as a pro.

I think Brown is worth looking at given how few guys on the club right now can handle the puck and distribute. You could move White to his wing and have him deal on the top line with the other guys doing the dirty work. We were at our best when Alfie did the C defensive duties along Spezza. Could do something like that. Sounds like Smith wants the center on each line to handle the bulk of the down low defensive duties. Still lots of options.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Yeah, judging by the pregame talking heads it sounds like Abramov is in the mix. He also has a concussion though so I don't know if they can actually send him down while injured. Won't be too ******** if he's sent down. Can definitely use some time to refine his touch around the net. That seems like where he's gonna score from as a pro.

I think Brown is worth looking at given how few guys on the club right now can handle the puck and distribute. You could move White to his wing and have him deal on the top line with the other guys doing the dirty work. We were at our best when Alfie did the C defensive duties along Spezza. Could do something like that. Sounds like Smith wants the center on each line to handle the bulk of the down low defensive duties. Still lots of options.

They should at least try the Paul-L.Brown-Batherson line in pre-season. They already have the chemistry. They could also try Tkachuk-L.Brown-Batherson or put Duclair on the wing of L.Brown. It would be nice to see some offensive players put together instead of being offset by more defensive depth players. So far I am not liking C.Brown on the top line or Pageau in a top six role. DJ Smith should be trying to create some offensive lines.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
They should at least try the Paul-L.Brown-Batherson line in pre-season. They already have the chemistry. They could also try Tkachuk-L.Brown-Batherson or put Duclair on the wing of L.Brown. It would be nice to see some offensive players put together instead of being offset by more defensive depth players. So far I am not liking C.Brown on the top line or Pageau in a top six role. DJ Smith should be trying to create some offensive lines.
100% agree

Reactions: Cosmix

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Here's who's left...

G: Anderson/Nilsson/Hogberg

D: Boro/Brannstrom/Chabot/DeMelo/Goloubef/Hainsey/Jaros/Zaitsev

F: Anisimov/Balcers/Batherson/Boedker/C.Brown/L.Brown/Chlapik/Duclair/Ennis/Kelly/Pageau/Paul/Ryan/Sabourin/Szwarz/Tierney/Tkachuk/White

Injured: Wolanin and Abramov
1. Swartz?? Why?

2. Kelly!! Deserves it. Let's get him in games!

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
1. Swartz?? Why?

2. Kelly!! Deserves it. Let's get him in games!

They probably agree to give an extended look to AHL veterans like Szwarz in order to sign them. He is making $425,000 to play in the AHL this season. I don't think he stood out in a good way last game so unless he did something I missed I would have to think that it is an informal agreement between player and club. It seems like that happens a lot where expensive AHL veterans end up as late cuts in training camps. Either coaches like them and give serious consideration to keeping them around or its an informal agreement.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

I'm kind of surprised DJ hasn't tinkered with the lines a bit. You'd think this is the time to try some things out.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'm kind of surprised DJ hasn't tinkered with the lines a bit. You'd think this is the time to try some things out.

Especially after the game today. I would have thought that he would have changed up with Tkachuk-White-C.Brown line and the Duclair-Pageau-Batherson line today after neither was producing anything. Maybe with some of the bubble players he wanted to keep consistent lines in order to evaluate them. If something goes wrong then it can be easier to see who failed their assignment. He could have also had the lines like that in order to get a good look a players competing with eachother for a single roster spot. If he juggled the lines too much it might have made it difficult to make his assessments.

We will see moving forwards though. I think he could likely keep the Ennis-Anisimov-Ryan line for now but I hope he juggles the other lines. I also hopes he puts players in a position to succeed. Logan Brown should get a serious look with some skilled wingers. I think he is trying to force Pageau and Connor Brown into top six roles and at this point I am not seeing it. I don't see the offensive skill for them to be the best option in those roles.

Reactions: Cosmix

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
These cuts seem 0% surprising to me.

I mean... I guess maybe I thought Davidsson would make it to the next round of cuts before being sent to Belleville, but I didn't really think any of these kids were going to start the season as NHL players.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

To have offensive lines, you need offensive players with higher end puck-handling, shooting and skating skills. Unfortunately, this team lacks those types of players. That is not news though. :)

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
These cuts seem 0% surprising to me.

I mean... I guess maybe I thought Davidsson would make it to the next round of cuts before being sent to Belleville, but I didn't really think any of these kids were going to start the season as NHL players.

I thought Davidsson had a decent chance too, but solely based on the reports that he was the last cut of his previous team. Based on his performance I do not see an NHL level player at this time.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I thought Davidsson had a decent chance too, but solely based on the reports that he was the last cut of his previous team. Based on his performance I do not see an NHL level player at this time.

Agreed.

I just thought he'd get an extra round of cuts in because he was involved in the big deadline trades we made, and he'd get an extra length of leash at Camp for him to show something that management would be able to point to and say "See? Davidson did (a good play or game in preseason), so the trades were good!"

It's the kind of thing we usually do, so I thought there was a chance here as well, but Davidsson hasn't really stood out at all, so it makes sense.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Exactly what I expect... Lajoie was sent down last year but only play 3 games in Belleville because of injury. A major role in Belleville with 22-25 Minutes a night is only good for him. I expect him to be called up during the year and be better and stronger.

Reactions: coladin

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
the only sure thing to come out of these cuts is that im definitely buying the AHL Senators subscription

Honestly I would send down bath and bransstrom as well.. I don't think we have the forwards or the defence to go along with those two to help them out and unlock any sort of potential. (This has nothing to do witgh my AHL subscription)

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->