GDT: #11 | Philadelphia Flyers @ New York Islanders | October 26 | 7PM | F/L 5-2

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I would like to see Nilsson get some starts. Have him and Poulin go 1a/1b with Nabby taking a backseat for a while. Wishful thinking, I know.

too earls in the season to be doing this, but i agree. i feel poulin was just handed the backup role the day DP was bought out, and Nillson--although the more "rough" prospect--has more potental.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I would like to see Nilsson get some starts. Have him and Poulin go 1a/1b with Nabby taking a backseat for a while. Wishful thinking, I know.

Nilsson is getting shelled in BP. Even DP was better in the AHL - not kidding.

Isles have no answers for goalie problems in their organization. Not remotely close.

Nabby is the best goalie by far. Sad as that sounds.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
The primary problem with this team is the defensive play. The frustrating part is that it isnt ONE guy or ONE Dman causing the problems. It's a combination of many things, imo:

-FWDS not backchecking
-Rookies being rookies
-Visnovsky being hurt
-Carkner being Carkner
-The Coaching

Every game its just a little of this or a little of that...and we seem to play to the level of the competition. Rarely are we the aggressors in play. To me, while we cant fix the players on D, we certainly can put them in a better position to succeed. I think we need to reign in the FWDs a bit, they need to do a better job of backchecking and clogging up the neutral zone. Too often players are crossing our blueline at full speed and all it takes is one player to blow an assignment and bing, its in the net.

The other thing that needs fixing is the coaching decisions, why does cappy seem to try every decision other than what we all think makes sense?

MM-Tavares-Bailey
Grabner-Neilsen-Okposo
PMB-Regin-Nelson
MM-CC-CC

PP1: MM-JT-Bailey-Neilsen-Donovan
PP2: Ok-Regin-PBJ-Amac-Hamonic

People have complained tavares hasnt played particularly well this year and i agree he hasnt hit his stride just yet, but he needs more of a playmaker on his line, someone who wont have his passes bounce right off their sticks into the corner half the time...why Cappy hasnt really tried bailey up there, i'll never know.

Great rant-post!

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Well, Donovan sucked out there defensively....He should have been paired with AMac at minimum, but our D needed AMac to eat up minuted due to the lack of depth. Three blatant gaffes that led to goals by Donovan, one he stood around watching.

Poulin did not look bad.....just not good. The Isles hung him out to dry. Our backcheck was all over the place as if we didn't expect Philly to have anything.

Two ODD goals charged them up. We got energy through a well timed fight but Philly got more opportunity through bad play to take this.

Vinny Lecavalier kills us yet again.

CMac should not have sit....I'd rather they dress him as a defenseman and sat Donovan, but that would have been rough.

Anyone else notice how AFRAID our guys are of going into the slot/crease/middle? We just let them set up a box defense to keep us out. Tavares has NO ONE to pass to unless it's someone behind the net with coverage or on the same/opposite wall far away. We have three guys high on the blueline for him, though, thankfully.....so they can get shots with NO ONE to get rebounds.

So many problems with last night. Donovan the biggest. Not far behind the gameplan. We HAVE TO have a tougher backcheck and some guys with balls enough to jam down the middle! I wanna see PMB and Grabner and JT going THROUGH the middle and Moulson sneaking in and sticking in the goalie's face. We can't expect to win unless we play like 29 other teams are willing to. This silk glove panzie hockey has to END!

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
too earls in the season to be doing this, but i agree. i feel poulin was just handed the backup role the day DP was bought out, and Nillson--although the more "rough" prospect--has more potental.

Nilsson has to get TIME to grow as he took a year off. He absolutely NEEDS to not be touched or meddled with. Poulin just needs time. Nabby needs to not start every game.

For this sensible and performed regularly by every good team act to work....we need better team and blueline defense. Simple. And FWIW, I was happier with Carkner out there than I was with Donovan on D. Hell, I thought he got better shots off as well.

But I'm not worried about Donovan yet. He's a kid. He should be played less until he earns more time. I think we need to see a bit of a trap in the meantime for the sake of our GLARING weaknesses.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Grabner on the third line is ridiculous. PMB has done nothing to warrant 2nd line slot and more minutes than Bailey or Grabner. What a joke.

Boulton in Nelson out did what exactly? If Martin and Carkner can't handle Rosehill and Rinaldo, they should be outta here.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Grabner on the third line is ridiculous. PMB has done nothing to warrant 2nd line slot and more minutes than Bailey or Grabner. What a joke.

Boulton in Nelson out did what exactly? If Martin and Carkner can't handle Rosehill and Rinaldo, they should be outta here.

I like the toughness having those three, plus CMac and Clutterbuck would have.....IF WE HAD D. But with out team not playing D or having the Donovan sinkhole or not going into traffic up the middle, It wouldn't matter if we inserted Gillies, Shultz and Howe for toughness if we can't drive the net or protect our crease.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Well, Donovan sucked out there defensively....He should have been paired with AMac at minimum, but our D needed AMac to eat up minuted due to the lack of depth. Three blatant gaffes that led to goals by Donovan, one he stood around watching.

Poulin did not look bad.....just not good. The Isles hung him out to dry. Our backcheck was all over the place as if we didn't expect Philly to have anything.

Two ODD goals charged them up. We got energy through a well timed fight but Philly got more opportunity through bad play to take this.

Vinny Lecavalier kills us yet again.

CMac should not have sit....I'd rather they dress him as a defenseman and sat Donovan, but that would have been rough.

Anyone else notice how AFRAID our guys are of going into the slot/crease/middle? We just let them set up a box defense to keep us out. Tavares has NO ONE to pass to unless it's someone behind the net with coverage or on the same/opposite wall far away. We have three guys high on the blueline for him, though, thankfully.....so they can get shots with NO ONE to get rebounds.

So many problems with last night. Donovan the biggest. Not far behind the gameplan. We HAVE TO have a tougher backcheck and some guys with balls enough to jam down the middle! I wanna see PMB and Grabner and JT going THROUGH the middle and Moulson sneaking in and sticking in the goalie's face. We can't expect to win unless we play like 29 other teams are willing to. This silk glove panzie hockey has to END!

Philly is a terrible team, the Islanders should have smoked them yesterday, but they played like crap and the score showed it.

Donovan and Carkner were absolutely awful out there and the forwards didn't help much. But if the Islanders are going to get better, then they must get used to these growing pains from Donovan (and deHaan, Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Pedan, Pelech, Mayfield) because I've NEVER seen a defenseman that comes into the league and doesn't struggle in his first season. Except maybe Denis Potvin. Even Kenny Jonsson was terrible in his early Toronto years.

IF, the young core is good enough to compete for cups, then you bring in some strong vets. If they aren't, and you plan to continue to add youth, then it's slow and steady and expect inconsistency and poor results. At times.

Isles are HALF PREGNANT in that regard.

They don't bring in great players (like DET, CHI used to bring in players like Shanahan, Hossa) - instead, they add vets like Regin, Bouchard, Carkner, Martinek (who I like) and then expect the young guys to get better. If you're going to go with youth, go with youth. If you're going to play vets, play GOOD vets.

Losing Visnovsky was obviously going to hurt and it clearly shows. Everyone was already playing 1-2 spots above their expectations - now it's worse.

Donovan reminds me of Bailey, on the ice with Schremp, Comeau, Hilbert, Park, Sim and we wonder why he struggled. Except on defense, it's much much harder.

Remember Viktor Hedman, Tyler Myers, Zack Bogosian, Luke Schenn, Dougie Hamilton and Adam Larsson - some were protected early on, some shined early on, all have looked good and horrible. To expect anything different shows you're just not paying attention.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Philly is a terrible team, the Islanders should have smoked them yesterday, but they played like crap and the score showed it.

Donovan and Carkner were absolutely awful out there and the forwards didn't help much. But if the Islanders are going to get better, then they must get used to these growing pains from Donovan (and deHaan, Reinhart, Pulock, Pokka, Pedan, Pelech, Mayfield) because I've NEVER seen a defenseman that comes into the league and doesn't struggle in his first season. Except maybe Denis Potvin. Even Kenny Jonsson was terrible in his early Toronto years.

IF, the young core is good enough to compete for cups, then you bring in some strong vets. If they aren't, and you plan to continue to add youth, then it's slow and steady and expect inconsistency and poor results. At times.

Isles are HALF PREGNANT in that regard.

They don't bring in great players (like DET, CHI used to bring in players like Shanahan, Hossa) - instead, they add vets like Regin, Bouchard, Carkner, Martinek (who I like) and then expect the young guys to get better. If you're going to go with youth, go with youth. If you're going to play vets, play GOOD vets.

Losing Visnovsky was obviously going to hurt and it clearly shows. Everyone was already playing 1-2 spots above their expectations - now it's worse.

Donovan reminds me of Bailey, on the ice with Schremp, Comeau, Hilbert, Park, Sim and we wonder why he struggled. Except on defense, it's much much harder.

Remember Viktor Hedman, Tyler Myers, Zack Bogosian, Luke Schenn, Dougie Hamilton and Adam Larsson - some were protected early on, some shined early on, all have looked good and horrible. To expect anything different shows you're just not paying attention.

Great post. I agree with a lot of the Donovan stuff. We're not exactly putting him in a position to succeed.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Great post. I agree with a lot of the Donovan stuff. We're not exactly putting him in a position to succeed.

No we're totally not....the kid plays an all out offense game and needs skilled players to cover his arse and show him, like an Aucoin or KJ could, WHEN TO TAKE GAMBLES and to be first and foremost the guy PROTECTING HIS GOALIE.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
No we're totally not....the kid plays an all out offense game and needs skilled players to cover his arse and show him, like an Aucoin or KJ could, WHEN TO TAKE GAMBLES and to be first and foremost the guy PROTECTING HIS GOALIE.

Keith Yandel would do wonders for Donovon.

potvins4cups

Aug 23, 2007
Dog crap attendance again last night. After a huge win against the supposed beasts of the east. Only 13,600 fans decided to show up and at least 1500 were flyers fans.

Islanderfan17

Aug 24, 2010
Glad it wasn't all boos for streit, came here during the rough years and gave it his all, no reason to boo him

There was no reason to boo him anyways IMO, unless someone didn't like his play. He wanted to stay here but he also wanted the paycheck he had earned, can't blame him. Was a good player for us, always loved Streit rockets from the point. Only thing that drove me insane with him was him taking the puck up in slow motion on the PP :cry:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
igFOcUVl.jpg

BYLaxmHl.jpg

These are the jerseys the boys wore in warm up, look better than the black ones. Go pink.

Wasn't sure where to post them, didn't notice anyone else post a pic.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Well, this was a terrible sports weekend for sure. Jets lose 49-9 today. Both my teams are average and can't win 2 games in a row. Frustrating...

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
49? I thought the Jets had an awesome defensive coach, like genius level! And a super bowl capable defense......

I shut the game off when it was 35-6, I was pissed.

Their defense is very good, obviously didn't have a good game today. Couldn't get a good pass rush going, the Bengals O-Line played very well. The Bengals just played a great game offensively, defensively and on special teams.

****ing Marvin Jones had 4 touchdowns.They kept throwing the back-shoulder pass. Our CB's Milliner and Walls haven't been getting it done. Milliner has been hurt and Walls is just terrible.

The offense wasn't very good at all. 2 pick sixs. When the offense can't move the ball and get first downs, it gives the other team great field position and the Bengals took advantage of that.

The Jets had a chance early on when they had a goal line stop to keep it at 14-0. Then Wilkerson(my favorite player) got an interception, and the offense didn't capitalize on the turnover, only got 3 points. Biggest play was when the Jets kicked off with only a couple of minutes to go in the 2nd quarter and Tate had a great return. It could have been 21-6 going into the 3rd quarter, and Jets got the ball in the 2nd half. Instead it was 28-6 and Geno threw a pic 6 to start off the quarter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad