GDT: #11: Islanders at FLYERS, Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, 1:00 p.m. ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
If this game heads south fast and the crowd undeniably turns it feels like it would have to be the end.

If Snyder was still alive, that would be a fairly obvious statement. With this new regime, we just don't know. Dave Scott has no track record and is a total unkown. Lately, Hextall comes across as incredibly arrogant and steadfast. While Homer may have mentally checked out and really not give a shit.

It doesn't help that the Flyers have done an incredibly effective job controlling the media. The beat writers are unbelievably whipped. Afraid to lose press passes, while clutching to there job in a dying industry.

Then we have the nightly pre and post game propaganda session on television. Filled with the usual cast of Flyers employees and other tight lipped cowards. Which is in direct contrast to similar shows before and after Phillies & Eagles games on the same channel.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
The only playoff series the Flyers were not completely embarassed in since 2012 was with Berube behind the bench in 2014.

Even though he was a cement-head, he was a better coach than Hakstol.

I'm not quite convinced of that. One thing I remember very clearly is the similarity of the rosters between the last Berube year and first Hakstol year -- they were virtually identical, making a great test case for the value of coaching. The home records were a wash (23-11-7 vs 23-10-8) but the Hakstol Flyers improved to 18-17-6 on the road over Berube's 10-20-11. It's funny to think about now, but one thing we were all excited about in the first few weeks of the season was the obvious improvement in structure (where there had been none) and especially in transition; they actually had breakout plays and looked significantly, wowingly faster despite having the same personnel.

Long-term, though, Chief still gets invited to alumni events and parties. I certainly have a soft spot for him. He bled for the franchise and was one True Flyer, just never should have been given coaching responsibilities. Hakstol is a foot-stomping, nose-thumbing outsider who never even tried to understand the franchise culture.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
A group of like 75 people is coming down from the island and will get to tailgate in a monsoon. Will be wearing my Bailey jersey and hoping Gritty doesn't eat me. My prediction: Uncle Leo gets a hat trick and when he gets acknowledged as the #1 star it takes him 15 minutes to skate from the player enterance to center ice.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not quite convinced of that. One thing I remember very clearly is the similarity of the rosters between the last Berube year and first Hakstol year -- they were virtually identical, making a great test case for the value of coaching. The home records were a wash (23-11-7 vs 23-10-8) but the Hakstol Flyers improved to 18-17-6 on the road over Berube's 10-20-11. It's funny to think about now, but one thing we were all excited about in the first few weeks of the season was the obvious improvement in structure (where there had been none) and especially in transition; they actually had breakout plays and looked significantly, wowingly faster despite having the same personnel.

Long-term, though, Chief still gets invited to alumni events and parties. I certainly have a soft spot for him. He bled for the franchise and was one True Flyer, just never should have been given coaching responsibilities. Hakstol is a foot-stomping, nose-thumbing outsider who never even tried to understand the franchise culture.

The 15-16 Flyers featured a historically spectacular rookie season from Shayne Gostisbehere. That is the only reason that team even made the Playoffs.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
A group of like 75 people is coming down from the island and will get to tailgate in a monsoon. Will be wearing my Bailey jersey and hoping Gritty doesn't eat me. My prediction: Uncle Leo gets a hat trick and when he gets acknowledged as the #1 star it takes him 15 minutes to skate from the player enterance to center ice.
who’s uncle leo?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The 15-16 Flyers featured a historically spectacular rookie season from Shayne Gostisbehere. That is the only reason that team even made the Playoffs.

Mason having his last good year was a big reason, otherwise that was a pretty limited roster.
On the other hand, Hakstol got us to the playoffs last year with bad goalies, and a below par bottom six and bottom four.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If this game heads south fast and the crowd undeniably turns it feels like it would have to be the end.

If Snyder was still alive, that would be a fairly obvious statement. With this new regime, we just don't know. Dave Scott has no track record and is a total unkown. Lately, Hextall comes across as incredibly arrogant and steadfast. While Homer may have mentally checked out and really not give a ****.

It doesn't help that the Flyers have done an incredibly effective job controlling the media. The beat writers are unbelievably whipped. Afraid to lose press passes, while clutching to there job in a dying industry.

Then we have the nightly pre and post game propaganda session on television. Filled with the usual cast of Flyers employees and other tight lipped cowards. Which is in direct contrast to similar shows before and after Phillies & Eagles games on the same channel.
I got blocked by Therien after I tweeted him during the 1st intermission of the Boston game when he said AMac does everything right.

"How can you sit and say AMac does everything right when he JUST made a bad turnover and deflected the puck in his net for a Goal. Then followed it up but not taking his man on the PK for a goal. Don't be a coward. Tell the truth!"

Guess he did not appreciate it. But yes, the media are mostly cowards.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Leo Kromerov, worst player in all of hockey. Also I am at a punk show, am getting home at 2am and am starting my journey to Philly at 5am. Need to ask Gritty if I can borrow some of his cocaine when I get down there.

Are you at the PlayStation?! I was supposed to go, but I had to be home to calm the dogs down in this storm.

Reactions: sabremike

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I sorta feel bad for AMac. Gets a lot of heat just because he signed a huge contract and gets over played by his coaches. At the same time he's rich so meh.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

If Snyder was still alive, that would be a fairly obvious statement. With this new regime, we just don't know. Dave Scott has no track record and is a total unkown. Lately, Hextall comes across as incredibly arrogant and steadfast. While Homer may have mentally checked out and really not give a ****.

We need the Flyers insider Panotch back to do real investigative journalism...lol

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hahaha. I feel the same with a band like Nickelback. I don't care much for them but don't particularly enjoy the disrespect of them. People who mean well and etc. shouldn't get crapped all over.

They’re irrelevant to me but it was random how people just decided one day after all these years that it was a thing to constantly dump on them. :laugh:

They’re not the only mediocre musical act that got pushed through in the history of music.

Reactions: Lindberg

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018

They also traded Vinnie and Luke on one of the giddiest days of my fandom. Hextall had done the impossible. Things were looking up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad