Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
1,000,000 games.

We're all in purgatory or hell.

Haks tenure feels like a hallway with no end.

giphy-2.gif

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Kadri on Hockey Central...talking about the PP and AGAINST PKers:

"A lot of teams are ALL OUT PRESSURE especially when the puck is on the wall or if there is a bobble. A lot of PK's are REALLY AGGRESSIVE in that situation"

Hey Lappy....you watching????

Drives me insane watching the PK just sit back in a box formation. Colorado's PK did a fantastic job of this. Pressure forces mistakes

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Lines from Pracrice:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Laughton - Vorobyev - Simmonds
Knight/Weal - Lehtera/Weal - Weise

Provorov - Hagg
Ghost - Amac
Sanheim - Gudas

Neuvirth
Elliot

PP1: Same
PP2: Same

PK1:

Laughton - Lehtera
Provorov - Gudas

PK2:

Giroux - Weise... G most likely won’t PK much
Ghost - Amac

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Going on a field trip to Colonial Philly tomorrow so I'm relieved I'll have to miss this one.

Will you get to see authentic colonial-era photos of the Flyers' PK set-up and actual line-up charts? "Okay, kids, get in close with the fourth-line energy guy so we can get a picture."

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Brian Burke on Hockey Central right now:

"You don't need fast skaters to play a fast game. You need quick puck movement and quick decisions"

Hmmm....

Yep. Fast skaters are nice, and you want a few, but crisp passes and players who can catch them without fumbling gets you up the ice just as quickly.
Flyers don't have enough players with open ice skills, nor enough players with the size and heart to play in the slot.
So there are few options.

Changing coaches won't change the mediocre talent on this team or the mismatches between this talent.
Last season was the best you could expect the old core to do, and they're more likely to decline than improve from this point onward.
That's why I want Hextall to finish blowing this team up and work in the kids the next two seasons.
I'd like to watch a faster, more skilled team that plays together, not a few free lancers and a bunch of mediocrities.

And for god's sake find a real goalie.

Reactions: renberg and hatcher

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Lines from Pracrice:

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Laughton - Vorobyev - Simmonds
Knight/Weal - Lehtera/Weal - Weise

Provorov - Hagg
Ghost - Amac
Sanheim - Gudas

Neuvirth
Elliot

PP1: Same
PP2: Same

PK1:

Laughton - Lehtera
Provorov - Gudas

PK2:

Giroux - Weise... G most likely won’t PK much
Ghost - Amac

L
O
f***ing
L

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Yep. Fast skaters are nice, and you want a few, but crisp passes and players who can catch them without fumbling gets you up the ice just as quickly.
Flyers don't have enough players with open ice skills, nor enough players with the size and heart to play in the slot.
So there are few options.

Changing coaches won't change the mediocre talent on this team or the mismatches between this talent.
Last season was the best you could expect the old core to do, and they're more likely to decline than improve from this point onward.
That's why I want Hextall to finish blowing this team up and work in the kids the next two seasons.
I'd like to watch a faster, more skilled team that plays together, not a few free lancers and a bunch of mediocrities.

And for god's sake find a real goalie.
I disagree with open ice skill. TK, Weal, Voracek, Giroux, and even Couts are above average in open ice. Ghost, Provorov, and Sanheim are abober average for Dmen too. Simmonds and Laughton have their moments too. I don’t think Philly is a bad open ice team. They’re not great, but their play doesn’t push that type of directive.

The system is play the perimeter and watch for rebounds... which is ok, but the shots have to be there.

And I really don’t understand your grievance for changing the coaches, rather the improvement is to sell the teams best players.

NYI is a piss poor team with a great coach... hence why they’re 1 point behind the flyers with 2 less games played. WSH didn’t really change their team that much and are only 2 points above the flyers. Their new coach is running the same system, but not as well as Trotz did.

It really runs on the coaches.

Do you not remember Lavis game 7 2nd period intermission speech to the flyers down 3-0,3-0 in the series and game. That jump started their way to the cup finals.

It really runs on the coach. Take it as a form of football. You could have the best defnense, offense, and special teams, but if your coordinators and coaches don’t know how to utilize it properly, you won’t get anywhere. The Vikings are Top 5 in all categories, but their coach can’t do anything with it.

It does come down to the players, yes I 100% agree, but you need a good coach.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I disagree with open ice skill. TK, Weal, Voracek, Giroux, and even Couts are above average in open ice. Ghost, Provorov, and Sanheim are abober average for Dmen too. Simmonds and Laughton have their moments too. I don’t think Philly is a bad open ice team. They’re not great, but their play doesn’t push that type of directive.

The system is play the perimeter and watch for rebounds... which is ok, but the shots have to be there.

It really runs on the coach. Take it as a form of football. You could have the best defnense, offense, and special teams, but if your coordinators and coaches don’t know how to utilize it properly, you won’t get anywhere. The Vikings are Top 5 in all categories, but their coach can’t do anything with it.

It does come down to the players, yes I 100% agree, but you need a good coach.

Football is all strategy, hockey is talent first, coaching second.

Provorov is getting better but still doesn't make great decisions passing the puck, that's the weakest part of his game.
Sanheim is improving, but has a ways to go, the raw skill is there, recognition is still developing.

TK is a good open ice passer, and so is Patrick, the two of them together can fly up the ice.
Giroux is a great passer though his puck handling has declined.
Couts is laboring this year with his knee, lacks any burst skating and that's hurt his whole game.
Weal is better at skating with the puck than pushing it up ice through passes.
Voracek is great at entries but lousy at passing up the ice, he has this really bad habit of just cycling with the puck and not seeing teammates.

Simmonds is horrible, handles the puck like a live grenade, Vorobyev doesn't see the ice right now, Raffl lacks puck skills, Weise is a slower version of Simmonds, Laughton is primarily a forechecker, plays die on his stick, Lehtera is a decent passer but always behind the play.

What you don't see very often with the Flyers is the crisp tick-tack-toe breakout passing, too many missed passes or fumbled passes off the stick.
That's one reason they end up dumping it in so often, by the time the puck gets to the blue line, the defense has time to set up and harrass the puck carrier.
And the primary reason they pass back to the point is with JVR out, they don't have slot guys other than Patrick and Couts.

Reactions: hatcher

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Like Berube wanted but got fired.

...What?

Berube didn't want that. He played the slowest possible system. There was no transition up ice until the puck had hung out in our end for a bit so everyone could get organized. The problem is that it let the opposition set up in the neutral zone. Thus it was always a fight to get into the offensive zone, only really Couts, G, and V were capable of getting through. It was brutal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Provorov is getting better but still doesn't make great decisions passing the puck, that's the weakest part of his game.
Sanheim is improving, but has a ways to go, the raw skill is there, recognition is still developing.

TK is a good open ice passer, and so is Patrick, the two of them together can fly up the ice.
Couts is laboring this year with his knee, lacks any burst skating and that's hurt his whole game.
Voracek is great at entries but lousy at passing up the ice, he has this really bad habit of just cycling with the puck and not seeing teammates.

Simmonds is horrible, handles the puck like a live grenade, Vorobyev doesn't see the ice right now, Raffl lacks puck skills, Weise is a slower version of Simmonds, Laughton is primarily a forechecker, plays die on his stick, Lehtera is a decent passer but always behind the play.

What you don't see very often with the Flyers is the crisp tick-tack-toe breakout passing, too many missed passes or fumbled passes off the stick.
That's one reason they end up dumping it in so often, by the time the puck gets to the blue line, the defense has time to set up and harrass the puck carrier.
And the primary reason they pass back to the point is with JVR out, they don't have slot guys other than Patrick and Couts.

We have enough talent to be better than our teams have been. Coaching matters more than you think and it has held them back.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden

While your write-up is pretty good, I won’t be too nit picky, because again it’s good, but Simmers game isn’t to be an entry man/puck handler and Raffl has great puck skills (maybe not hands or pretty passing). Raffl is one of our better forwards at actually holding onto the puck when in traffic or trying to get around traffic. That’s why he’s a CF% machine!

Talent, talent, talent. Describe that? I don’t get it. Why did PIT win they cup when WSH, TBL, ANH, and even SJ we’re more “talented teams”. How was OTT able to take PIT to 7 games in the ECF? I think the argument of diluted talent is outdated and quite frankly incorrect.

Yes I get that football is more or less strategy, but most plays deal on 1-1 matchups which indicate that talent would be the pressing issue. If your team runs a 4-3 defense, but you go sign Luke Keuchley who is the best 3-4 in the game, guess what... you’ll be hearing everyone screaming “oh he can’t play, he’s regressing, he’s overrated”... no... he’s playing in a system that doesn’t suit him.

The great thing about hockey is that play style is highly malleable (besides Simmer because he’s really only good at being a net front and board player- ie: those players).

The flyers don’t seem to be a good perimeter team from what we’ve watched with the exception of Sanheim-Gudas. So, as a smart coach would donfor a struggling team, figure out which play best suits each line and build detail and a system that plays to each archetype.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
...What?

Berube didn't want that. He played the slowest possible system. There was no transition up ice until the puck had hung out in our end for a bit so everyone could get organized. The problem is that it let the opposition set up in the neutral zone. Thus it was always a fight to get into the offensive zone, only really Couts, G, and V were capable of getting through. It was brutal.
No he didn't he wanted them to read and react but the team was slow. His practices he kept hollering quicker and faster all the time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No he didn't he wanted them to read and react but the team was slow. His practices he kept hollering quicker and faster all the time.

That's not true at all. Maybe he wanted them to go faster, but there was no possible way for his system to be fast. It couldn't be done. He had them play like it was the DPE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad