['11 HFB Draft Board] #7

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
The first 5 names listed above the line are eligible to be put directly on to the list.

The next 5 (below the line), are eligible to be moved up to be put on the next poll. If any two are tied in bottom portion, I'll just move them up, and later on pare down the list when it gets too big.

This is to encourage discussion comparing prospects to each other, citing a drop in talent, etc. Especially for those of us less fortunate to see them for ourselves. It is not supposed to be a mock draft, so just pick the players you like.

You may also want to request a name to be added to the next poll.

1. Adam Larsson, D, Skelleftea (SEL) - SWE
2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C, Red Deer (WHL) - CAN
3. Gabriel Landeskog, LW, Kitchener (OHL) - SWE
4. Sean Couturier, C, Drummondville (QMJHL) - CAN
5. Ryan Strome, C, Niagara (OHL) - CAN
6. Jonathan Huberdeau, LW, Saint John (QMJHL) - CAN

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Murphy. The lower category is a real tough choice, went with Puempel in the end.

Add Bärtschi.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
By people at HF.

RLR has Hamilton as the 4th best player in the draft.

FC and Bobby Mac had him 5th.

Ratings differ from a lot of people, but most of those ratings were out months ago.

Murphys been a better player than Hamilton the entire year and hes continued to improve in areas people said he was weak in.

I take it you haven't seen either one play though if your going to base it off ratings.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Ratings differ from a lot of people, but most of those ratings were out months ago.

Murphys been a better player than Hamilton the entire year and hes continued to improve in areas people said he was weak in.

I take it you haven't seen either one play though if your going to base it off ratings.

I have seen both play.

It's not about who is the better player now, it's who will be better in the future.

I think Hamilton will be a complete defenceman in the show, a guy who does everything at a high level...and his offensive production won't be that much different than Murphy's.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I have seen both play.

It's not about who is the better player now, it's who will be better in the future.

I think Hamilton will be a complete defenceman in the show, a guy who does everything at a high level...and his offensive production won't be that much different than Murphy's.

And Murphy definitely has the higher potential of the two. Right now Hamilton doesn't do anything much better than Murphy. Defensively hes better, but its not a huge diffrence. Murphys probably more physical even though Hamiliton is 5 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier, but Murphy is a hell of a lot better offensively.

Expanding on that last note, people seem to make Hamilton out to be this great PMD who plays a good two way game. Hamiltons definitely more of a 2-way then offense, his stats are bit higher than they should. He a less offensive version of Pietrangelo and I don't think Hamilton has the potential to hit much over 50 points. His skill is fairly well developed now, so its not like hes putting up 58 points as a raw defensemen, like Green was putting up that much when his talent was very raw. Stats dont tell the story here at alll and Hamilton absoulutely isn't on Murphys level offensively.

What may put him above Murphy is the fact hes 6'4 and hes less of a risk, though Murphy gets way too much flak for being high risk. If Murphy turns out which I think is still very likely, he'll be an amazing defensemen.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hamilton is much better defensively, and not that much worse offensively than Murphy. He's also bigger. I'd say he's better now and much better in the future.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Hamilton is much better defensively, and not that much worse offensively than Murphy. He's also bigger. I'd say he's better now and much better in the future.

Not going to bother reinerating what I just said but Hamilton is definitely not much better defensively and hes definitely not near Murphy offensively. If Murphy was 6'4 190 lbs he'd be in contention for 1st overall definitely. Hamiltons already that size and hes not.

What does that tell you? The biggest factor is the size diffrence which is why Murphy isn't and won't be clearly ahead of Hamilton. You can always turn 6'4 smooth skating defencemen into an NHL player even if they "bust". 5'11 is a bit more difficult since they don't have that size.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Not going to bother reinerating what I just said but Hamilton is definitely not much better defensively and hes definitely not near Murphy offensively. If Murphy was 6'4 190 lbs he'd be in contention for 1st overall definitely. Hamiltons already that size and hes not.

What does that tell you? The biggest factor is the size diffrence which is why Murphy isn't and won't be clearly ahead of Hamilton. You can always turn 6'4 smooth skating defencemen into an NHL player even if they "bust". 5'11 is a bit more difficult since they don't have that size.

Hamilton was a winger and that's where he got most of his offensive senses from. He's still developing as a defenceman, and as such he has a lot of room to grow defensively and become physical despite what people are saying. IIRC he's only been playing D for the last two years and before than he was a winger (he may have played D when he was younger though.) Either way he has a long way to go to develop.

In terms of offensively...how are his numbers inflated? Murphy plays on a team that is stacked offensively. Niagara is a good team, but Hamilton definitely doesn't have the offensive help that Murphy has and he's still putting up great numbers. Yes, he's more of a two-way defender, but he's better defensively, he's very mobile, and he's got good offensive IQ.

As far as who the better NHL player will be? Almost definitely Hamilton in my mind.

Also comparing skillsets of someone who is 6'4 and 5'11 is kind of silly. Of course if Hamilton had Murphy's skillset, speed, and ability he would be the #1 overall. But Murphy likely wouldn't have the same abilities if he were bigger. Things get different with different bodies.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Kitchener is not stacked offensively. Very good but far from stacked When Murphy went out the teams offense dried up completely, they scored 2 goals in 3 games when he missed 3 games with dizzyness. Niagra was probably as strong as Kitchener offensively.

Murphy has a much higher potential than Hamilton, and if all goes right he will be the better NHLer. You can't say Hamilton has more potential, he simply doesn't, it's not true.

So when saying Hamiltons no doubt going to be the better NHLer, thats expecting he hits his full potential and Murphy doesn't and basically busts. And size doesn't correlate with skill sets. If Murphy as 6'4 it wouldn't diminsh his talent at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad