GDT: 11/27/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Anaheim vs Tampa Bay

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
As an italian who is familiar with soccer fans (but consider that in my country, we've many many problems with them) I've some idea.
1) The community can prepare/imagine some songs/chants/chorus to sing during the games. Maybe 3-4-5 songs with rhymes, that are pretty good. Of course these songs are good to cheer the team and the single players.
2) The organization, with the fans, can organize some choreographies, to show before the puck drop. These ones can be useful to bring more color into the building.
Of course, you've to know that in Italy, these fans who want to sing during the match, are in a specific sector of the building. In NHL I think that in every part of the Amalie Arena, there're people with kids or, simply, people who want to see the game quietly. And of course you cannot say: "Go away".

I've to say another thing, to be honest. I'm familiar with the Italian fans, but I've seen one hockey match in Canada (Lightning @ Maple Leafs, in October 2016, 7-3 win for us). And I've loved the atmosphere in the Air Canada Center. I like the "American cheer style", to be honest. And I think it's better than the Italian one, with his problems. As Gianluigi Buffon (the former Juventus of Turin goalie) said: "The fans cannot score a goal". So, imho, the building, apparently quiet, is not a big problem. :)
The Sticks of Fire do that in a section on the third level, but I hear people whine about them saying it's not a soccer match and to stop chanting all the time. I think that's pretty shortsighted. I will say though, they need to come up with new material. I believe that will we win is old and tired. So is Let's go Lightning though. That's the thing I hate about hockey fans here. So unimaginative. In Argentina there is a whole repertoire of songs about how they love the team or want a championship (and against rivals, but we don't have to do that stuff).

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
The Sticks of Fire do that in a section on the third level, but I hear people whine about them saying it's not a soccer match and to stop chanting all the time. I think that's pretty shortsighted. I will say though, they need to come up with new material. I believe that will we win is old and tired. So is Let's go Lightning though. That's the thing I hate about hockey fans here. So unimaginative. In Argentina there is a whole repertoire of songs about how they love the team or want a championship (and against rivals, but we don't have to do that stuff).
Wow, I did not know that there is a group of fans that sing during the games.
I can agree with you about the poor imagination and fantasy of the songs. But I cannot agree with you about taking the Argentina (in particular, the Argentine soccer fans) as a valid example. Both Argentina and Italy are not the perfect examples to show how a fanbase should be.
To be honest, I like also the quiet and calm atmosphere there's now, in the NHL buildings.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Wow, I did not know that there is a group of fans that sing during the games.
I can agree with you about the poor imagination and fantasy of the songs. But I cannot agree with you about taking the Argentina (in particular, the Argentine soccer fans) as a valid example. Both Argentina and Italy are not the perfect examples to show how a fanbase should be.
To be honest, I like also the quiet and calm atmosphere there's now, in the NHL buildings.
I'm not saying they should be singing the whole game, and they definitely should not emulate all other aspects, but at least have some creativity and be supportive! "Let's Go <insert team name>" is so bland no wonder people don't like doing it after a while. Compare with something like this:

(Ignore the drums and instruments, I would NOT want that in an arena, lol)

"Let's go Boca! We came to support you! In order to be champions, you have to win today!"

I mean there's also plenty of examples in USA with college football fight songs and such. I don't understand why that never carried over to professional leagues. It just feels so corporate and sterile, especially when the jumbotron is telling you to do it instead of it happening naturally.

Reactions: Fabiobest

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
I agree
I'm not saying they should be singing the whole game, and they definitely should not emulate all other aspects, but at least have some creativity and be supportive! "Let's Go <insert team name>" is so bland no wonder people don't like doing it after a while. Compare with something like this:

(Ignore the drums and instruments, I would NOT want that in an arena, lol)

"Let's go Boca! We came to support you! In order to be champions, you have to win today!"

I mean there's also plenty of examples in USA with college football fight songs and such. I don't understand why that never carried over to professional leagues. It just feels so corporate and sterile, especially when the jumbotron is telling you to do it instead of it happening naturally.

I agree with you about the poor imagination of the fans. Me too I think there're of course better songs than "Let's go Bolts". And I think it's a good idea to try to sing them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->