GDT: 11/27/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Anaheim vs Tampa Bay

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Anyone concerned about our 1st line? Too early to judge?
It looks like Yanni can't carry the line by himself when the other two aren't as good as the ones on the 2nd and the 3rd lines.

Nah, it was only a couple of games ago that Stamkos had his best game in years. I wouldn't mind tinkering with it, but I wouldn't mind if we didn't either. Stamkos has earned a bit of leeway and Gourde will always find his game sooner rather than later. Miller was off, but I'd let him work it out if only because the other three lines look so good I wouldn't want to break them up.

Reactions: LonLon Lei

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
McStrals was the top pair even when Hedman was healthy though. That's the thing. They played the toughest match-ups. That's why I think it would make more sense to pair Cernak with Hedman and use them more in offensive situations.

Just seems like a great combination, Hedman has the speed and reach to help cover/relieve pressure for Cernak.

The ice times tonight looked promising

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
Nah, it was only a couple of games ago that Stamkos had his best game in years. I wouldn't mind tinkering with it, but I wouldn't mind if we didn't either. Stamkos has earned a bit of leeway and Gourde will always find his game sooner rather than later. Miller was off, but I'd let him work it out if only because the other three lines look so good I wouldn't want to break them up.
I agree.Stammer wasn't bad and I'm not worried about Millsy yet let alone Yanni. Point may be the only one unaffected wherever he plays though.

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
I do miss the ole.incredible sniping Stamkos ...It's a good thing they got Point. ... Boy wat a find

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Anaheim is a heavy team and played the way a team needs to beat us. We weren't awful but the combination of Miller playing really well and us not playing desperate contributed to the loss. Not overly concerned over just one game and I fully expect the Bolts to come out playing like fire against Sabres on Thursday!

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Did not think we played that badly, was always going to be a tough challenge the way Millers record is against us, move onto the sabres.

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
Did not think we played that badly, was always going to be a tough challenge the way Millers record is against us, move onto the sabres.
Looked like a later round playoff game so the Bolts are expected to lose

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Lol @ not being able to score more than one goal against a crappy team with a million year old backup in net. I guess we were due for one of these nights.

We played well. That million year-old goalie used to be one of the better goalies in the league, and, like Luongo, those guys don't just start to suck overnight. Occasionally they remind you what made them so good. He robbed us a number of times. If we play that way in every game we lose, we'll be fine. We were by far the better team. But Miller outperformed Domingue, which is to be expected, and they got some crazy good bounces, like the 2nd goal.

Reactions: Hoek

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Anaheim is a heavy team and played the way a team needs to beat us. We weren't awful but the combination of Miller playing really well and us not playing desperate contributed to the loss. Not overly concerned over just one game and I fully expect the Bolts to come out playing like fire against Sabres on Thursday!

I just don't think this is a realistic viewpoint. Your definition of "desperate" is just "pucks going in." We didn't get any bounces. JT Miller was off by a hair on several chances, and Killorn got flat-out robbed, and on and on. It would be fair to criticize our execution, but not really our desperation, given the number of chances we created.

Sometimes you just lose, even when you're outplaying your opponent. We out-chanced them significantly. Their goalie was better than ours and they got the bounces. Sometimes that's all it comes down to.

If memory serves, Miller's always been one of the better goalies in the league when it comes to the cross-ice one-timer. He reads that play better than just about anybody, and always has. He stopped Stamkos and Kucherov multiple times each, late in the game. They looked like easy saves because Miller has always had a knack for getting a good jump on those plays and cutting the angle down perfectly. Making it look easy is a skill in itself.

Reactions: JDBolt

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I just don't think this is a realistic viewpoint. Your definition of "desperate" is just "pucks going in." We didn't get any bounces. JT Miller was off by a hair on several chances, and Killorn got flat-out robbed, and on and on. It would be fair to criticize our execution, but not really our desperation, given the number of chances we created.

Sometimes you just lose, even when you're outplaying your opponent. We out-chanced them significantly. Their goalie was better than ours and they got the bounces. Sometimes that's all it comes down to.

If memory serves, Miller's always been one of the better goalies in the league when it comes to the cross-ice one-timer. He reads that play better than just about anybody, and always has. He stopped Stamkos and Kucherov multiple times each, late in the game. They looked like easy saves because Miller has always had a knack for getting a good jump on those plays and cutting the angle down perfectly. Making it look easy is a skill in itself.

Yea I was saying to my friend in the first period that this will either be a game like the previous 2 where we rain on them early or it will be a dominate performance by us and we still lose. It just felt like one of those games.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
It always is. I love being a Lightning fan but I've always said that Amalie Arena is the quietest gathering of 19,000 people you'll ever find.
I haven’t been to a game in a long time. I used to be one of those people that would try to start the “let’s go Lightning” chants, destroying my throat by the end of the game. I think Bolts fans used to be a lot more vocal during the game.

I have also wondered why it has gotten so quiet. I was thinking about what could be done to change it. I came up with giveaway bullhorns. Like made out of paper or something that would help amplify the crowd. It’s probably been done before

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I haven’t been to a game in a long time. I used to be one of those people that would try to start the “let’s go Lightning” chants, destroying my throat by the end of the game. I think Bolts fans used to be a lot more vocal during the game.

I have also wondered why it has gotten so quiet. I was thinking about what could be done to change it. I came up with giveaway bullhorns. Like made out of paper or something that would help amplify the crowd. It’s probably been done before

They always say that about Toronto too. Apparently, in their case, it's because most of the front rows are corporate seats.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

During the playoffs at least a couple of the freebies are always noisemakers. One is the rally drum which is awesome (I often bring mine to a regular game 'cause it makes a great annoying noise if opposition fans are sitting close by :DD) and thunder sticks which aren't quite as noisy and tend to break quickly. There's also foldable signs which turn into noisemakers when folded.

There's not as many corporate types as in Original 6 cities/Toronto but there's still some that are pretty quiet. I think part of it is we've gotten spoiled in that we're used to seeing excellence now. It also depends on the opponent. Some teams (Detroit, Boston, Chicago, New York Rangers) tend to bring out the 'best' in us. ;)

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy

As an italian who is familiar with soccer fans (but consider that in my country, we've many many problems with them) I've some idea.
1) The community can prepare/imagine some songs/chants/chorus to sing during the games. Maybe 3-4-5 songs with rhymes, that are pretty good. Of course these songs are good to cheer the team and the single players.
2) The organization, with the fans, can organize some choreographies, to show before the puck drop. These ones can be useful to bring more color into the building.
Of course, you've to know that in Italy, these fans who want to sing during the match, are in a specific sector of the building. In NHL I think that in every part of the Amalie Arena, there're people with kids or, simply, people who want to see the game quietly. And of course you cannot say: "Go away".

I've to say another thing, to be honest. I'm familiar with the Italian fans, but I've seen one hockey match in Canada (Lightning @ Maple Leafs, in October 2016, 7-3 win for us). And I've loved the atmosphere in the Air Canada Center. I like the "American cheer style", to be honest. And I think it's better than the Italian one, with his problems. As Gianluigi Buffon (the former Juventus of Turin goalie) said: "The fans cannot score a goal". So, imho, the building, apparently quiet, is not a big problem. :)

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
As an italian who is familiar with soccer fans (but consider that in my country, we've many many problems with them) I've some idea.
1) The community can prepare/imagine some songs/chants/chorus to sing during the games. Maybe 3-4-5 songs with rhymes, that are pretty good. Of course these songs are good to cheer the team and the single players.
2) The organization, with the fans, can organize some choreographies, to show before the puck drop. These ones can be useful to bring more color into the building.
Of course, you've to know that in Italy, these fans who want to sing during the match, are in a specific sector of the building. In NHL I think that in every part of the Amalie Arena, there're people with kids or, simply, people who want to see the game quietly. And of course you cannot say: "Go away".

I've to say another thing, to be honest. I'm familiar with the Italian fans, but I've seen one hockey match in Canada (Lightning @ Maple Leafs, in October 2016, 7-3 win for us). And I've loved the atmosphere in the Air Canada Center. I like the "American cheer style", to be honest. And I think it's better than the Italian one, with his problems. As Gianluigi Buffon (the former Juventus of Turin goalie) said: "The fans cannot score a goal". So, imho, the building, apparently quiet, is not a big problem. :)
After hearing the Keybank Center going crazy for the Sabres last night I hope we get to see the same type of energy at Amalie

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
After hearing the Keybank Center going crazy for the Sabres last night I hope we get to see the same type of energy at Amalie
I don't care, to be honest, about the noise in the building. Yes, it's better to hear songs and chorus, but it's ok also the atmosphere we've now.
I hope to see a different score, thursday :D

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

I stopped starting and doing the chant by 2007. I'm not gonna scream myself hoarse so 300 people can look at me like "the f*** is THIS guy's problem? SIT DOWN AND STOP MAKING SO MUCH NOISE"

You'd swear I walked into their living room....

My idea is a little different. You need about 20-50 people, a drum kit, an easy song to learn with a good tune. You set up shop around the arena before they let people in and soon you'll get a couple hundred people in on it because monkey see monkey do. It's always vibrant come playoff time but all you gotta do is stay consistent with this and with any luck we'll get a soccer atmosphere in Amalie after hyping them at the door

If you don't know... Soccer atmospheres are LEGIT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad