GDT: 11/23/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Chicago vs Tampa Bay

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
You think they scratch Sergachev when Stralman gets back? or are they gonna send Cernak back down?

Don't really know where I stand on the issue. Love Sergachev and want him to get as much games as he can in his back pocket at the NHL level but on nights like these I could see why he would be scratched.

I love Sergachev too, but lately the defensive side of his game seems very inconsistent. I know he's not being sheltered by Strålman any more but still... I am really liking Cernak's play right now. He makes the typical expected rookie mistakes, but over all his defensive instincts seem to be really solid. And he's NOT afraid to play the body and get into board battles which is something that Sergy seems to avoid whenever possible. :P

Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Cernak
Coburn - Sergachev

Looks solid to me guess if we scratch Girardi looks like KK would have to go

I wish we'd at least give this a try, as I think it would really help Hedman and give Cernak more NHL time, but I don't think it will happen until next season. I just don't think they'll sit Girardi unless he's injured.

I do wonder if Koekkoek is going to be traded even though he played pretty well when Heddy was out. With Hedman and McDonagh locked in on LD for the foreseeable future, KK would never get top 4 minutes. Plus he really needs to be with a defensively skilled partner because he's more gifted offensively than defensively, imho. Or, as Macho and others have stated, just make KK a forward. :laugh:

Last edited:

BowDownToVasilevskiy

Jun 30, 2013
Canada
I love Sergachev too, but lately the defensive side of his game seems very inconsistent. I know he's not being sheltered by Strålman any more but still... I am really liking Cernak's play right now. He make the typical expected rookie mistakes, but over all his defensive instincts seem to be really solid. And he's NOT afraid to play the body and get into board battles which is something that Sergy seems to avoid whenever possible. :P

I wish we'd at least give this a try, as I think it would really help Hedman and give Cernak more NHL time, but I don't think it will happen until next season. I just don't think they'll sit Girardi unless he's injured.

I do wonder if Koekkoek is going to be traded even though he played pretty well when Heddy was out. With Hedman and McDonagh locked in on LD for the foreseeable future, KK would never get top 4 minutes. Plus he really needs to be with a defensively skilled partner because he's more gifted offensively than defensively, imho. Or, as Macho and others have stated, just make KK a forward. :laugh:
I agree with you about Sergachev and his inconsistent defensive game but i'm not sure scratching him would fix that but I guess it is worth a try. I'm assuming he will turn into a consistent defender through experience

With Cernak on the roster now I think we can confidently say KK won't be getting time soon unless some more injuries come up.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Will be veeerrrryyyyyy interesting to see what they do when Strals gets back. Our super conservative front office probably sends him back to Syracuse, but hopefully they reconsider.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Hard to figure out what happens when Palat gets back too. Erne's playing too well to scratch right now.

Reactions: SRQKiter

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
Hard to figure out what happens when Palat gets back too. Erne's playing too well to scratch right now.
Callahan I guess, it's a tough one though. Paq and Erne have been too good to sit, and Callahan hasn't been bad in his role either tbh, but something has to give. He is getting up there, maybe some rest will do him some good. We'll see if Erne can keep consistent too, a month ago no one would have complained to see him sit.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Sweet passing by Kuch on the first few goals, great goal by Cally and Domingue holding on to the win. Nice performance, champs!

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Keep Palat for the depth and scratch Callahan. Girardi has been better than Sergachev all season and is a righty who can shot block and kill penalties. Not sure why we would sit him for the useless Sergachev. Sergachev needs to sit and actually watch how hesitant he is in his own zone. Very lackadaisical and hesitant. Cernak has been playing well and provides a bit of grit back there.

Sit Sergachev and Callahan and make these guys compete every night to keep playing. That's depth.

Reactions: DaBolts

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
I love Sergachev too, but lately the defensive side of his game seems very inconsistent. I know he's not being sheltered by Strålman any more but still... I am really liking Cernak's play right now. He makes the typical expected rookie mistakes, but over all his defensive instincts seem to be really solid. And he's NOT afraid to play the body and get into board battles which is something that Sergy seems to avoid whenever possible. :P

Hmm, I wonder if there's a Western team who needs an offensive defenseman whose GM is majorly in the hot seat................... :sarcasm:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The best I've got off the top of my head is something lame like United Nations line since they're from USA, Russia and Canada.

But you're right. It needs a name

I don't know anymore. After the 2nd and 3rd Johnson and Kuch put in, maybe we need to wait a bit to make sure it stays a thing. It dominated the 1st, and was great against Florida. But man, Kucherov gave away every puck he touched after the 1st period, and Johnson wasn't much better.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Let's be real, they'll just be called the new triplets line. We kind of got stuck with that description thanks to JC

Yeah. And that's the way they looked in the 1st. They cycled the puck until Chicago's collective head spun off, and then found open guys in the slot three different times. Johnson could have had four goals in the 1st. But yeah. Those 2nd and 3rd periods were pretty terrible for them. But yeah, when they've been on, it's been very Triplet-like.

Which, of course, with Stamkos playing out of his mind, has been the dream our fanbase has had for almost five years. An effective Stamkos line PLUS a Triplet line. Nobody's gonna be able to keep up with that 1-2. And our 3-4 isn't bad right now either.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Yeah. And that's the way they looked in the 1st. They cycled the puck until Chicago's collective head spun off, and then found open guys in the slot three different times. Johnson could have had four goals in the 1st. But yeah. Those 2nd and 3rd periods were pretty terrible for them. But yeah, when they've been on, it's been very Triplet-like.

Which, of course, with Stamkos playing out of his mind, has been the dream our fanbase has had for almost five years. An effective Stamkos line PLUS a Triplet line. Nobody's gonna be able to keep up with that 1-2. And our 3-4 isn't bad right now either.

Plus our third line

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I can guarantee Cally will not be scratched when Palat comes back. Girardi I also doubt. (slim chance)

Cmon guys, Cally won't be scratched. Lets be real here.

Reactions: Raphael87

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Keep Palat for the depth and scratch Callahan. Girardi has been better than Sergachev all season and is a righty who can shot block and kill penalties. Not sure why we would sit him for the useless Sergachev. Sergachev needs to sit and actually watch how hesitant he is in his own zone. Very lackadaisical and hesitant. Cernak has been playing well and provides a bit of grit back there.

Sit Sergachev and Callahan and make these guys compete every night to keep playing. That's depth.

Whatever Sergachev is now, we need to develop him. We need to get him somewhere around the couple hundred game mark. If he's a trainwreck in the playoffs, that's one thing, but I don't see it happening. Even if Girardi would be slightly better on the third pairing, and that's a big if (but I do agree with it), I think we have to err on the side of getting Sergachev reps and letting him getting his growing pains out of the way. Girardi's gone after this year; Sergachev's not.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can guarantee Cally will not be scratched when Palat comes back. Girardi I also doubt. (slim chance)

Cmon guys, Cally won't be scratched. Lets be real here.

I'd like to give him the odd night off. But Cally's been pretty good. It's kind of the same situation as Girardi vs. Cernak/Sergachev, I think. Cernak's likely the odd man out...

Good problems, I guess.

I'd like to see us try Cernak with Hedman though, because that might be where we land next year. Assuming McDonagh keeps taking on the toughest assignments, that gives Cernak a little more slack, and he could be a more dependable partner for Hedman sooner rather than later.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I'd like to give him the odd night off. But Cally's been pretty good. It's kind of the same situation as Girardi vs. Cernak/Sergachev, I think. Cernak's likely the odd man out...

Good problems, I guess.

I'd like to see us try Cernak with Hedman though, because that might be where we land next year. Assuming McDonagh keeps taking on the toughest assignments, that gives Cernak a little more slack, and he could be a more dependable partner for Hedman sooner rather than later.

Cernak with a great game tonight. If he continues his great play he will beat out Girardi

Cernak brings some grit, speed size and a strong D zone stick. He’s been great for a rookie.

Reactions: Hit The Lights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->