Apr 22, 2014
USA
Saw this on CP (thanks to sureLoss), making sure none of you miss out on it:

Glencross-Monahan-Setoguchi
Gaudreau-Granlund-Hudler
Baertschi-Jooris-Byron
Bollig-Bouma-McGrattan
Ferland and Reinhart as extras

-Setoguchi filling in for Jones and likely in against the Ducks if Jones is a no go
-looks like McGrattan in for Reinhart against the Ducks
-Hartley says Russell's absence was maintenance and he is "for sure playing tomorrow"
-David Jones is a game time decision against the Ducks
-Hiller is the confirmed starter for tomorrow

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I thought we were riding the goalie if they won a game.. Ramo won last time in Ottawa, must mean Hiller is the preferred goalie then.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I thought we were riding the goalie if they won a game.. Ramo won last time in Ottawa, must mean Hiller is the preferred goalie then.

Ramo also made a whole bunch of stellar saves against Ottawa too, but most of them seemed to go under the radar because of the McArthur goal.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hox and RS called it though. I am sure Hartley will start Ramo next game, but I think Hiller's revenge overrides Ramo's win slightly.

I like a goalie problem.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

It's about respect. Usually goalies other than Elliot want to play against their former teams. Hiller didn't leave Anaheim on the best terms.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Hox and RS called it though. I am sure Hartley will start Ramo next game, but I think Hiller's revenge overrides Ramo's win slightly.

I like a goalie problem.

Terminator-deal-with-it.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Lubo and Steinberg were basically saying the same thing as me and RS this afternoon on theFan. In the other thread, Anglesmith brought up a good point that sometimes can emotion can go the other way and work against you, and I agree with him because he's right and I've seen it happen on occasion. But I think with how a coach needs to be a master puppeteer and pull the right strings, you have to at least give your player that chance. It's a great storyline as well, Hiller is obviously bitter about how things ended in Anaheim and I think you have to give him that chance at redemption no matter what. It was the right call IMO.

Start Ramo next game, he deserves it!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'm thinking Anaheim is going to be hungry and looking to right the ship after getting embarrassed at home by Florida.

Also, does anyone know if Perry will be back in the line-up?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hiller won against Arz but sat out for the Ott game, had Hiller lost it might have been different.

Well, Hiller didn't look that comfortable in that game AZ, and he let in some softies. We should have killed AZ, they're lucky they made it close. He'll definitely be ready to go for Tuesday night's game.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hiller on getting the start: http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|CGY|home

Tuesday will mark another start for Calgary Flames goaltender Jonas Hiller. It won’t be like the others, though.

Hiller will get the crease call when Calgary welcomes the Anaheim Ducks, his former club with whom he spent his first seven seasons and 326 career National Hockey League games.

“I’m definitely excited to play those guys,” Hiller said following Monday’s practice. “It’s going to be more special than a usual game. It definitely makes it more special if you know a lot of guys you face and some guys you’ve played with for the last seven years. You can’t deny that. It’s a little bit more than a usual game.”

Hiller posted a 162-110-32 record over parts of seven seasons in Orange County and amassed a 2.51 goals against average and .916 career save percentage.

But he struggled following the Olympic break last season and saw his role diminish in favour of rookie goaltender Frederik Andersen. With Andersen, 25, and John Gibson, 21, battling for crease time, the Ducks opted not to re-sign the 32-year-old Hiller this offseason.

“For me, it almost felt like after the Olympic break it seemed like I wouldn’t start against the good teams and at first it was just ‘to rest you’,” Hiller said. “I kind of felt like (Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau) was leaning more towards Andersen. It’s tough at that point to not second-guess yourself and be mentally focused out there just to play well.

“If you don’t feel that trust you second-guess everything and you kind of go out there not to play bad instead of play well.”

It opened the door for a change of scenery with the Flames.

Hiller signed a two-year deal with Calgary and has flourished, starting his post-Ducks career with an 8-4-1 record. He’s also put up a 2.30 goals against average and .922 save percentage through 13 appearances.

“It’s a little disappointing, sure, but it’s part of the hockey business,” he said. “That’s the not so fun side. At the same time, I’m excited to have gotten a new job somewhere else. Things have been great here. I’m really excited to have success with this team and hopefully we will [Tuesday] as well.”

It was automatic to start Hiller against his former club, coach Bob Hartley admitted.

“Whenever you play your former team for the first time, it’s always special,” Hartley said. “It’s always fun and we want to give him this but at the same time, I think Karri gave us a great game against Ottawa. We have two great goalies, two goalies that can win us some games so we will use them.”

He's up to the challenge.

Hiller just isn’t sure who has the advantage: he, or Ducks shooters.

“We’ll find out [Tuesday]. I have no idea,” Hiller said. “I’ve seen goalies play against their former team and were great and I’ve seen it the other way around. I’m just excited to play again. It’s definitely a little more special knowing a lot of the guys.”

Safe to say he is ready to win one against his former team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Well, Hiller didn't look that comfortable in that game AZ, and he let in some softies. We should have killed AZ, they're lucky they made it close. He'll definitely be ready to go for Tuesday night's game.

I wasn't saying Hiller was great just that he won sat so it's not like Ramo's alone in doing so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->