GDT: 11/17/18 - 1:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Philadelphia

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
And let me preface my bitching...I'm in this for Lord Stanley. The team is nowhere near where we should be. Long season? Who cares. I'm tired of being the bridesmaids. We should be out to kill every night. Dominate. We have a great mix of vets and youth under this cap. The time is now.

Reactions: Kusic

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
And let me preface my *****ing...I'm in this for Lord Stanley. The team is nowhere near where we should be. Long season? Who cares. I'm tired of being the bridesmaids. We should be out to kill every night. Dominate. We have a great mix of vets and youth under this cap. The time is now.
The team did that last year and was burned out halfway through the season.

Reactions: LightningStrikes

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
And let me preface my *****ing...I'm in this for Lord Stanley. The team is nowhere near where we should be. Long season? Who cares. I'm tired of being the bridesmaids. We should be out to kill every night. Dominate. We have a great mix of vets and youth under this cap. The time is now.
THE TIME is in April, May and June. But, I hear where you're coming from. This is a very frustrating team to watch because, particularly for the long-term, signed veterans, I think they view the regular season as an inconvenience that they have endure before the real season starts in April. That's what leads to games like today's. Just pure lack of focus. "Oh, we're up 5-1 even though we've played like dirt, I think I'll take the rest of the game off" And I think that mindset has infected Cooper too. And that is why we, the fans, are going to be watching some our supremely talented players on our supremely talented team play lackluster, lazy hockey much of the time. And even at that, they'll still win most of them.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
THE TIME is in April, May and June. But, I hear where you're coming from. This is a very frustrating team to watch because, particularly for the long-term, signed veterans, I think they view the regular season as an inconvenience that they have endure before the real season starts in April. That's what leads to games like today's. Just pure lack of focus. "Oh, we're up 5-1 even though we've played like dirt, I think I'll take the rest of the game off" And I think that mindset has infected Cooper too. And that is why we, the fans, are going to be watching our supremely talented team play lackluster, lazy hockey much of the time. And even at that, they'll still win most of them.
I didn’t read this but I wanted to state kuch had two points today. Welp, I’m out.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
I didn’t read this but I wanted to state kuch had two points today. Welp, I’m out.
He also turned the puck over several times, played indifferent defense at best, missed several passes and on and on. So yeah, he had 2 helpers but he can be so much better than he is playing right now, so can Heddy and Stammer, but they're just average, which was my point.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
I did watch the game but couldn't come here to make sounds.
So the friendly Flyers fans were half right and half wrong, eh?

I get that no team can play angry (if not hungry) 24/7 but I believe there's such a thing as "how to turtle" when you have a big lead.
I've seen other teams doing a good job maintaining the lead so no reason we can't learn and do that with this group.

So far this season we've been the rabbit from "The Rabbit and the Turtle".
( Plz refer below. It illustrates our frustrating game well.)
giphy.gif

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
That would've been one of the worst losses in franchise history. Up 4 goals against a bubble team with 10 minutes to go should be a lock. The fact that this went to OT is inexcusable.

Reactions: Kusic

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
That would've been one of the worst losses in franchise history. Up 4 goals against a bubble team with 10 minutes to go should be a lock. The fact that this went to OT is inexcusable.
I think that the biggest come back to win in a third period was from 3 goals down (been several years since I read that so maybe it is no longer the case). If we had lost, it may have been another record

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think that the biggest come back to win in a third period was from 3 goals down (been several years since I read that so maybe it is no longer the case). If we had lost, it may have been another record
I kean... miracle in Manchester was 5-0 in the third so that ain't right.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
I kean... miracle in Manchester was 5-0 in the third so that ain't right.
No idea where I read it. It's been several years but it is obviously not right (never heard of Miracle in/on Manchester before you mentioned it). I am trying to figure out what sparked my interest, it is possible that it came from this https://www.tsn.ca/the-rarity-of-the-three-goal-comeback-1.412950 or something like it. I imagine the Bolts almost blew a 3 goal lead in the third and it made me curious. It is entirely possible that I am also mixing up two or more different articles

Hopefully it is clear that I am not trying to argue with you.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Seems like Washington regularly comes back from 3 and 4 goal leads against us, going back a few years. They do that against everyone though.

Reactions: Hoek

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Holy God am I glad I missed this one. A backup lets in questionable goals on top of us doing what 99% of teams do with a 5-1 lead and HF Lightning is ready to burn it down as their team goes back into 1st place in the league after missing Stralman, Hedman and Vasy lately.

We have games like this all the time. Calm your heads it is not the end of the world. Perhaps a 6-1 ass whopping by the Flyers would have been preferable?

Domingue let in one bad one and besides that saved lots of lazy asses in Philly. When you let a very limited team like Philly fire away 45 shots then you better not blame your goalie. Many guys just didn't give a damn about that game and that's a fact. I liked Coburn, Girardi, Cirelli, Joseph, Point and the 4th line. The rest was pretty underwhelming...and that's describing it very nicely.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Domingue let in one bad one and besides that saved lots of lazy asses in Philly. When you let a very limited team like Philly fire away 45 shots then you better not blame your goalie. Many guys just didn't give a damn about that game and that's a fact. I liked Coburn, Girardi, Cirelli, Joseph, Point and the 4th line. The rest was pretty underwhelming...and that's describing it very nicely.

The crux of my statement is that people need to calm the HELL down. It's the third week of November and the words unacceptable, firing and should be playing better are in use.

We are mad because we ARE NOT at a .750 win percentage because Ottawa went full game 7 on us -because a win in Tampa is the best highlight they can hope to have all year. And we did what 99% of teams do with a 5-1 lead with 10 minutes to go and our backup showed why he is a backup when Philly scored enough power plays goals in garbage time to make a game out of it. 45 SOG? That must mean they tried 50-60 times to shoot. Lol you won't see that much desperation from that team to win a game for a while now.

Yeah it sucked. Yeah it wasn't cool. But people need to calm the hell down. Almost every night without fail we see some team come along wanting to take their best shot at us and yet here we sit 7-3 in our last 10 games, could be 1st overall in the league tomorrow night. Take the bad with good in stride and just be happy that the WORST thing that's happened to us wasn't losing Hedman, Stralman and now Vasy. The WORST thing is that we sat back like every team does with a 4 goal lead with 10 minutes to go.

It was a very bad 10 minutes. Frustration is absolutely warranted. But that doesn't mean HF Lightning needs to match the intensity of the meltdown they saw on the ice in a routine game. You'd think we just missed a playoff spot or had a 7-12-1 record at best

Reactions: LightningStrikes

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The crux of my statement is that people need to calm the HELL down. It's the third week of November and the words unacceptable, firing and should be playing better are in use.

We are mad because we ARE NOT at a .750 win percentage because Ottawa went full game 7 on us -because a win in Tampa is the best highlight they can hope to have all year. And we did what 99% of teams do with a 5-1 lead with 10 minutes to go and our backup showed why he is a backup when Philly scored enough power plays goals in garbage time to make a game out of it. 45 SOG? That must mean they tried 50-60 times to shoot. Lol you won't see that much desperation from that team to win a game for a while now.

Yeah it sucked. Yeah it wasn't cool. But people need to calm the hell down. Almost every night without fail we see some team come along wanting to take their best shot at us and yet here we sit 7-3 in our last 10 games, could be 1st overall in the league tomorrow night. Take the bad with good in stride and just be happy that the WORST thing that's happened to us wasn't losing Hedman, Stralman and now Vasy. The WORST thing is that we sat back like every team does with a 4 goal lead with 10 minutes to go.

It was a very bad 10 minutes. Frustration is absolutely warranted. But that doesn't mean HF Lightning needs to match the intensity of the meltdown they saw on the ice in a routine game. You'd think we just missed a playoff spot or had a 7-12-1 record at best

Again...if not for Domingue, Philly scores 7 or 8 at least...not 5. We're also not talking about a bad 10mins...the whole game was bad and it was a lucky win. The worst thing about it is that it wasn't a team effort because at least half of the team didn't care. Coaching was also questionable. Cooper should have benched certain players or at least he should have taken a timeout to adress the issues.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Presidents trophies and cups are not the same thing, nor do they go to the same team very often in any given year. Saying we're doomed to fail because we're not constantly dominating is just an unrealistic position. Whatever team wins the cup this year is going to have its ups and downs. Our downs, so far, have likely been the easiest to swallow in the entire league, outside of maybe Nashville. So I mean, yeah, they coughed up a four goal lead. They might even do it again. That really doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the playoffs. If it did, Gary Bettman would just take the Stanley Cup home every year because no team earned it.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Presidents trophies and cups are not the same thing, nor do they go to the same team very often in any given year. Saying we're doomed to fail because we're not constantly dominating is just an unrealistic position. Whatever team wins the cup this year is going to have its ups and downs. Our downs, so far, have likely been the easiest to swallow in the entire league, outside of maybe Nashville. So I mean, yeah, they coughed up a four goal lead. They might even do it again. That really doesn't have a whole lot of bearing on the playoffs. If it did, Gary Bettman would just take the Stanley Cup home every year because no team earned it.

Agree. Our downs are pretty laughable compared to others. Ill take a period of poor hockey over a poor game. It seems like our consistency issues go from period to period and not game to game. Its not ideal but an issue we can work through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->