GDT: 11/16/13 - 8:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Phoenix

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
845214279fb7284.gif

Man, Walter White is a certified badass.

This is going to be a tough one, Phoenix always has a good squad. Hopefully we get the Bolts version of Smitty and not the new and improved yotes one.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I give credit where credit is due. when a team loses its best player and they are still able to win games with the help of their goaltender, i admire that goaltender and his abilities.

if you guys don't like a fan from an opposing team coming on here and complimenting your team then i won't come on here.

whoa slow down!

I have absolutely no problem with it, it's just weird.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I remember at the beggining of the season how many people from other teams said we had over paid for Bishop, gave Flip way too large of a contract, and how Yzerman should be fired soon.

I seem to recall before the season started how quite a few TAMPA BAY fans were saying those things and wanting Yzerman fired.

The outrage over buying VL out, why he didn't just acquire a top 4 D, overpaying for Filppula, etc. I would say "fire Yzerman, he's an idiot" was the popular opinion among people on this board (TB fans).

TSN did an interesting comparison between Detroit and TB the other day. They brought up the fact that Filpulla and Stephen Weiss were both UFA's and got almost identical contracts. Then they brought up the fact that Filpulla is having a great season and excelling in TB and Weiss....has 3 points. The conclusion was Yzerman got the best of the situation and Holland screwed up massively by letting Filpulla go and bringing in Weiss instead.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
I seem to recall before the season started how quite a few TAMPA BAY fans were saying those things and wanting Yzerman fired.

The outrage over buying VL out, why he didn't just acquire a top 4 D, overpaying for Filppula, etc. I would say "fire Yzerman, he's an idiot" was the popular opinion among people on this board (TB fans).

TSN did an interesting comparison between Detroit and TB the other day. They brought up the fact that Filpulla and Stephen Weiss were both UFA's and got almost identical contracts. Then they brought up the fact that Filpulla is having a great season and excelling in TB and Weiss....has 3 points. The conclusion was Yzerman got the best of the situation and Holland screwed up massively by letting Filpulla go and bringing in Weiss instead.

I don't remember that at all, save for maybe like 2 people. Everyone here understood Vinny's buyout especially. It hurt yeah, but it was a necessary move. Everyone who has been actually paying attention has nothing for praise for Yzerman on this board - we call him SFY (GM god, Steve ****ing Yzerman) for a reason. He's taken our depth to being one of the worst over 20 years to the very best. Most of us are very supportive of Yzerman.

That being said, I was a little disappointed he didn't go get another Dman this offseason, but, realistically, who could he have gotten that wouldn't have cost an arm and a leg? That, and we are doing just find on D so far.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga

No, this board was completely the opposite.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Those outraged by VL4's buyout and wanting Yzerman gone were definitely a minority. Most understood the situation and knew it had to be done. Hell, I even remember praise for Vinik for being willing to shell out the money for it

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009

No, it wasn't. There were a couple of Lightning fans who went there. There were a couple more who pointed out that he wasn't going to have an unlimited amount of time and would be fired eventually, if he didn't show results. Mostly, there were a bunch who were pissed about one transaction or another, but pointed out the transition in the minors and were willing to give more time.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Nobody was angry about the Vinny buyout, shocked yes but angry no. There were quite a few though who were not pleased with the amount we paid and the length we gave Flip. I was not one of them, i found the price fair and was happy with it. The Bishop trade confused people, considering what we gave up for Lindy and to go out a grab Bish for another fan favourite in Conacher was strange. Nevertheless no one called for Yzerman's head. Everyone know we can never understand the Yzerplan, all we can do is believe in it.

Yzlamic Preacher*

Oh and I'm seriously hoping no one has or has contracted the hockey team killer. The dreadful, the vengeful, destroyer of the hockey God's, INFLUENZA!

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
There were two people absolutely enraged over the VL buyout. One of whom is, was and probably always will be pissed at any move Yzerman ever makes, up to and including a Cup win if that should someday happen.

The other stated that he was no longer a Bolts fan. Which makes me think he wasn't really much of one to begin with.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation

A few of us were calling for his head but the most could see the depth pool he was creating and were fine with waiting.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
this team scares me more than rest of road trip honestly.

One cool thing is oel and yandle have been turning the puck over a lot. So when that happens we just got to convert.

No one is really dominating this team this season they get no respect we were 8-2-0 and think they are 8-1-1 in last ten. Might be wrong went from looking other day.

Tough team good first two lines.

Hoping the kids line kick some serious butt and we are gonna get some chances on mistakes and got to bury them:)

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
2-1 Coyotes, Vrbata with both goals. The Coyotes worry me with their defense, it's going to be hard to score this game.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
I don't remember that at all, save for maybe like 2 people.

I'm sure someone if they were so inclined, could go back over old posts and compile quite a list.

I would call it the majority of posts/posters to this board were of that opinion (Yzerman's an idiot, fire him).

Now that they're doing well no one remembers what they said?

Yzlamic Preacher*

I'm sure someone if they were so inclined, could go back over old posts and compile quite a list.

I would call it the majority of posts/posters to this board were of that opinion (Yzerman's an idiot, fire him).

If you are so sure, you could also find it yourself.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

I don't agree. I'd say it was a very small minority that said that.

I'd say what caused the most controversy was the Conacher-Bishop trade. A lot of people didn't like the trade at the time (myself especially, sorry Bish!) but I don't remember anyone calling for his head because of it.

A couple of posters were especially upset about Vinny, but a couple is definitely the minority. Most of us understood the situation and, if I remember correctly, some weren't all that shocked.

I don't remember all that much hate for the Filppula signing either. I think we were all pretty much saying it was 1 year and 500k too much at the time. With how he's performed so far though, he might've been an absolute steal at that price.

Last edited:

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
Without looking up my posts I am sure I was of the mind that I hated to see Vinny go this year but the writing was on the wall for him to be bought out. I was still sad to see him go. As for Flip. I reserved judgement on that and did not say ya of nay on that.

As for tonight I feel fairly confidant in the Lightning but I felt the same about NJ and then they came out flat. I think they have learned from that and the cooper effect is in full affect. Win it for Stammer boys.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
I had a problem with the Filppula contract to an extent. I didn't think he had the track record to warrant that type of deal. So far, he has obviously been worth every penny and I'd argue that he's playing the best hockey of his career. I guess it's still relatively early, but I'm happily eating crow on that one.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I wasn't around the boards when these moves went down, but man do I remember them.

The Flip acquisition, I remember, was mostly laughed at in the media. I specifically remember Jeff O'Neill of TSN making fun of it. And honestly, of all Yzerman's major moves, this was the one where even I lost faith. I thought it looked like a desperation move to replace Vinny. Thankfully, I'm not the GM.

With Vinny, honestly I was/am more impressed with Vinik than Yzerman. I think most of us understood the buyout was for the best, but even so, I don't think many of us really thought it would happen. It happened because Vinik put up the cash. All that said, it did show Yzerman had a lot of guts, because he knew how unpopular the move would be in certain circles. For me, this is the one where Yzerman really proved himself as a GM, even if it was the obvious move to make. It was still a hard move, and I think a lot of GMs would have shied away because they'd be afraid of backlash.

Conacher for Bishop looks like the deal of the decade. At the time, it was perceived as "a good hockey trade." Now it looks like Yzerman went into Murray's office with a shotgun and a ski mask, Omar Little style.

Interestingly enough, the move that I remember getting the most calls for Yzerman's head was the firing of Guy Boucher. I've learned that apparently that wasn't the case on these boards. I myself had been calling for Boucher's head for about a month prior to his firing. But I remember several articles and TV analysts that claimed Yzerman was throwing Boucher under the bus for his own mistakes. Of course these people never mentioned the minor league system, which I always took as proof that they didn't know anything about the Lightning.

Interesting times.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
No, it wasn't. There were a couple of Lightning fans who went there. There were a couple more who pointed out that he wasn't going to have an unlimited amount of time and would be fired eventually, if he didn't show results. Mostly, there were a bunch who were pissed about one transaction or another, but pointed out the transition in the minors and were willing to give more time.

I was one of these. I seriously don't buy many people calling for Yzerman's head. I know I had said I love the prospect depth we now have, but within the next few seasons we were going to have to see pro results. A few people went overboard with the Vinny buyout, but I think the vast majority of us understood the move after the initial emotion wore off, and probably even agreed with it.

SFY gets **** on the main boards, but very rarely is he questioned for long here. There's a reason he's SFY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->