GDT: 11/15 7pm Sharks @ Oilers -- Hoping to keep the shutout streak going

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
David pollak
"@PollakOnSharks: McLellan says it's time to see results from Havlat, that "pre-season" is over. Oddity: Havlat's stat sheet line vs. VAN was blank. Honest."

Hope we see some jump from him tonight!

Hah, TMac is getting more and more candid as the years go by.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
David pollak
"@PollakOnSharks: McLellan says it's time to see results from Havlat, that "pre-season" is over. Oddity: Havlat's stat sheet line vs. VAN was blank. Honest."

Hope we see some jump from him tonight!

I can't quite remember who was saying Havlat was doing fine last night. :dunno:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I can't quite remember who was saying Havlat was doing fine last night. :dunno:

He wasn't. Got demoted pretty quick. Whether that was due to what the team needed at the time or he was really skating only the staff knows. To be fair, nieto got demoted as well. Clear message. You work hard, skate, and establish a forecheck you'll play.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I was fairly surprised when I read it. Last years feelings still there?

Probably a bit of this

Maybe or he just knows the buttons to push to get his guys going.

Gotta be a lot of that.

Definitely. He's just never really came out that candid about anyone else. That I can recall anyway :)

He's come out and said that he expects "his top players to play like top players," but this singling-out stood out to me.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
He wasn't. Got demoted pretty quick. Whether that was due to what the team needed at the time or he was really skating only the staff knows. To be fair, nieto got demoted as well. Clear message. You work hard, skate, and establish a forecheck you'll play.

Yeah he and Marty were kind of tip toeing around ice last night at times.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/mclellan-nieto-havlat-they-have-produce

Kurzicle on Nieto and Havlat.

I miss Nieto Pavs Wingo. Havlat seems to be dragging that line down, its missing the human cannonball element Wingels brings. You need a good gritty and fast forechecker like Wingo for a line like that, hopefully things will normalize when Burns comes back. Bigger question is does Nieto go down or do they somehow get rid of Havlat. As Jux has mentioned Nieto has good Corsi numbers and chemistry with Pavs, I want him to stay but what to do with Havlat.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Yea I can recall the top players comment. I've seen him protect Marleau a bit. "He's gripping the stick" etc. the most I've seen was when he says Marleau can get sucked into a small portion of ice (why they moved him to center once)

A good indication that everyone is expected to have a bit of F1 in them. Nieto I think is just having rookie struggles though. He's also small, he has to find a way to get to the net.

Marty...it's hard because I've seen a couple of his stretch of games where I'm like "that's who we need" but it just seems like the exception for him right now. I guess my question is does he sit or just skate with desi? (If his play doesn't improve).

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Niemi is sort of a special case. Goalies tend to stand alone in coaches' comments. As for Clowe, I think Todd spoke more on Clowe's behavior. I don't recall him talking about performance.

Probably. Clowe got a little crazy towards the end. :laugh:

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
From Kurz's artcle, but missing from Pollak's:

It was pointed out to McLellan by another reporter that Havlat, who had offseason pelvic surgery delaying his season debut, did not have a single notch in any category in 11 minutes and 47 seconds of ice time. No shots on net, no attempted shots, no hits, no blocked shots, no giveaways or takeaways.

How do you go through a game and have nothing?

“I don’t know. He’s in the room there if you want to pull him out and ask him. Pretty simple. That’s noticeable.”

Havlat was requested for an interview, but it was too close to the team’s pregame meeting.

Wow. Todd does seem a tad frustrated.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Wow. Todd does seem a tad frustrated.

Wow, so he literally did nothing all game... This seems like Koala is legitimately pissed, people seem to blame Havlat a lot for the slump but there might be something to the attitude shift from Burns to Havlat. I would hope DW would explore whatever options if Havlat is seen as that much of a drag on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad