GDT: 11/15/14 - 7:00PM EDT - New York Islanders VS Tampa Bay

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
I missed this one again, did we actually play well or did we suck and win again?

Came out flat and played bad for half the first. Got a 5-3 PP and scored to tie 2-2 and played good rest of the game. Bish did have to bail them out occasionally but overall better than last game.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Im confused.

1. Stamkos not playing well, scoring as frequently as usual
2. PP is not performing well

Seems like an easy fix when you have a highly touted, playmaking 19 year old sitting in the press box.

PP is performing just fine. They have some stinkers but it comes through more frequently than what 27 other teams in the NHL?

Coop's love affair with Killorn is getting a tad annoying.

Killorn played third line tonight. I don't see a problem with it. So much undervaluing of Killorn on this board. Killorn is like a Purcell but actually works hard.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
i thought was 32 off top of head lmao amazing

johnson to me is a super solid goalie so to see us pot 5 after being shut down finally for a game was awesome and stamkos was flying like best ive seen him skate super fast tonight good signs:)

I dont like drouin in presser

for me barbs or sustr sometimes give brewer a day off 1 of those three
than killer and morrow most nights lol

Stamkos was garbage tonight. No idea what you were watching. This was by far his worst game this season. Mistakes and just completely disinterested. Floating around looking like VL4.

Mikeaveli

Sep 25, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Came out flat and played bad for half the first. Got a 5-3 PP and scored to tie 2-2 and played good rest of the game. Bish did have to bail them out occasionally but overall better than last game.
Nice to see, but maybe we were just lucky we scored on the PP to shake us out of that funk. Need to play the full 60 minutes.
Killorn played third line tonight. I don't see a problem with it. So much undervaluing of Killorn on this board. Killorn is like a Purcell but actually works hard.
Yeah, I'm probably just salty at the scratching of Drouin. Just gotta remember that Stamkos was scratched a few times as a rookie and he's turned out fine.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Stamkos was garbage tonight. No idea what you were watching. This was by far his worst game this season. Mistakes and just completely disinterested. Floating around looking like VL4.

I definitely disagree. He wasn't good tonight but it was far from his worst.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Watched the game (DVR makes it so much faster to watch...)

I thought we largely looked good. The first goal was a really bad defensive play, and Sustr and Gudas both made some bad turnovers, but overall it was a good effort, and I really liked the forward play in the Dzone all night. We really need Hedman back before we play the big boys, because I think good teams - especially top players on good teams, can give some of our D fits.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Stamkos is probably one of the worst guys to keep possession in the zone. You can see the different mentality of forechecking between him and Callahan. Callahan wants to take the puck no matter where it is, or at least force a bad pass so someone else could take it. Stamkos looks to intercept passes for quick strikes back, but doesn't get dirty in the corners to keep possession. Still, he didn't have a bad game, just didn't have a very good one.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I'm glad we played better than the last two games, and am thrilled we won, but Stamkos is becoming a concern. Is it related to his leg? If not, what the hell is it?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I'm glad we played better than the last two games, and am thrilled we won, but Stamkos is becoming a concern. Is it related to his leg? If not, what the hell is it?

Eh - I think some of it is line composition. He had some chances this game, although I think either him or Flip has to play second forechecker a bit more aggressively to support when Callahan forces a weak pass D to D.

Callum

Jun 8, 2012
Melbourne, Australia

I personally don't think it's anything to do with his leg. I'm pretty sure Cooper through out some lifting stats regarding to how much stronger his leg is now than that before the injury.

He's shown glimpses of what he's capable of and now he just needs to find some consistency, maybe that comes with time or a change of linemates. *Cough* *Cough* Drouin.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Stamkos gets pressured more than anybody else on the team, because he can score with the puck from just about anywhere. His lack of creativity also bleeds through, the less time you give him to see the ice the more likely he is to make a mistake. I think that is why you see him "swoop in" for goals.

The Johnson line on the other hand has excellent puck control, led by TJ who seems to always make the right play. There is a large contrast in the play styles between the two lines. If Stamkos could find a way to buy himself more space he'd be back in business, but that isn't going to happen until he has some success setting up his teammates consistently and burning the other team for aggressively pressuring him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
What stood out to me is Stammer's board play and on the cycle. Pucks go by him that anybody else on the team would've stopped and turned into a scoring chance. Pucks are bouncing over or under is stick left and right, he's a tad too late every other chance - it's mind-boggling.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Im confused.

1. Stamkos not playing well, scoring as frequently as usual
2. PP is not performing well

Seems like an easy fix when you have a highly touted, playmaking 19 year old sitting in the press box.

PP is #6 in the entire league. If that's not performing well, will take it! As per Stamkos yeah he seems to not be on all cylinders.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Stamkos had 0 shots last night.

Stamkos did not play well most of the game. He had that one good pass on the Flip goal. But Callahan and Flip have been driving that top line with Stamkos as a spectator. Still, Stamkos is putting up the points, so really should not complain.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Missed this one, guess I won't be watching games if they blow up teams when I'm away from a TV.

Fun thing I noticed: In the Tyler Johnson postgame interview you can hear "When the Levee Breaks" playing in the background. My favorite LZ song.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Also - was checking out the Islanders GDT and they keep saying Johnson had a bad game. I was like "WTF were they watching he had a goal and was playing great all game!"

Then I realized they were talking about the goalie. I feel stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad