GDT: 11/14/13 - 7:30PM EDT - Anaheim VS Tampa Bay

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Beauty. Looking at the scoresheet the penealtys Gudas got on the play was for holding (against Mathieu Perreault ) + roughing (Selanne also got roughing to offset that) when did the hold occur on the play? I do not remember that.

Etem talked with Gudas but that was not really even worth of Roughing penalties imo. I guess Teemu got the penalty Etem was supposed to get. Unless something else happened which was wasnt shown but based on Teemu's reaction he was pretty clueless also. Gudas' extra was for holding against Teemu, which happened after the Gudas hit on Selanne and before the interaction between Etem and Gudas

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I like the Chief as a person but I've been wondering for a long time now why he still has a job. I mean compared to other teams' broadcasts and color guys he's just not good. He is almost as big as a homer as the Pens' Paul Steigerwald, he mispronounces player names on a regular basis, confuses the most obvious plays (he almost always messes up deflections for example) and sometimes all the insight he provides is "tssssssk" and other incomprehensible stuff. Is that really what the majority in the Tampa Bay area want to hear? I mean except for the purpose of drinking games.

I have a feeling they're pushing Dinger to replace Taylor some day. If that's the case it's gonna be real tough to stay awake. The guy's great and all but he's probably the most monotone voice in all of television.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I like the Chief as a person but I've been wondering for a long time now why he still has a job. I mean compared to other teams' broadcasts and color guys he's just not good. He is almost as big as a homer as the Pens' Paul Steigerwald, he mispronounces player names on a regular basis, confuses the most obvious plays (he almost always messes up deflections for example) and sometimes all the insight he provides is "tssssssk" and other incomprehensible stuff. Is that really what the majority in the Tampa Bay area want to hear? I mean except for the purpose of drinking games.

I have a feeling they're pushing Dinger to replace Taylor some day. If that's the case it's gonna be real tough to stay awake. The guy's great and all but he's probably the most monotone voice in all of television.

Esposito does awesome for the radio color commentary. I know he's nearing the end of that though but would have been cool if he could do the sun sport s. But i do agree, I am kinda done with Chief. He's a good guy like you said but there are many other people that can do his job much better. You can tell he just goes there at night with little to no research, and roots for the Lightning like a drunk fan in the stands.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Esposito does awesome for the radio color commentary. I know he's nearing the end of that though but would have been cool if he could do the sun sport s. But i do agree, I am kinda done with Chief. He's a good guy like you said but there are many other people that can do his job much better. You can tell he just goes there at night with little to no research, and roots for the Lightning like a drunk fan in the stands.

But who would be better?

I don't like Chief doing color, I never have. But I'm not seeing a whole lot of wonderful options. If it's Dingman I may have to jump off the skyway.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I feel like an important step to a fanbase's growth is a good TV crew. I really like RP, he calls the game well and is an interesting guy. I've had issues with Chief for years though. A color commentator is supposed to have insight into the game that the casual fan wouldn't and in turn teach the viewers about the game. I feel all Chief does is root for the Lightning and, as someone else said, give "Ohhhh's" and "tsssssk's" as his color commentary. That isn't teaching any viewers about the game, what the players were thinking, what they could have done differently, etc. I feel they really need to get somebody in there that can do this job correctly if we want a more knowledgeable fan base here in Tampa.

Edit: I also don't like Paul Porter, the in-arena announcer. He messes up names, scoring, and penalties as well.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I feel like an important step to a fanbase's growth is a good TV crew. I really like RP, he calls the game well and is an interesting guy. I've had issues with Chief for years though. A color commentator is supposed to have insight into the game that the casual fan wouldn't and in turn teach the viewers about the game. I feel all Chief does is root for the Lightning and, as someone else said, give "Ohhhh's" and "tsssssk's" as his color commentary. That isn't teaching any viewers about the game, what the players were thinking, what they could have done differently, etc. I feel they really need to get somebody in there that can do this job correctly if we want a more knowledgeable fan base here in Tampa.

Edit: I also don't like Paul Porter, the in-arena announcer. He messes up names, scoring, and penalties as well.

I will never forget last seasons home opener when he was doing the player intros and introduced Marty and Stammer as assistant captains.

Left me hoping that nobody outside of Tampa Bay fans was watching the game. Or that it at least didn't make it onto the tv broadcast.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Any discussion of the future is futile. Phantom cam will replace them all.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
He has come a loooong way since he first started his TV adventure. I like him. I think he has what it takes.

I must seriously be the only person that really doesn't want him as Chief's replacement. I like him between the benches, as long as he isn't being told to pimp the Phantom Cam. And he's ok for intermission and pre-game, or at least blunting the negative aspects of PK. But he's got that awful monotone and no objectivity at all.

warlord6

Jan 13, 2010
FLA
Very good game last night. I felt we used the same scheme/effort level that we had vs. MTL. That bodes well for consistency.

I REALLY like Flip. He has been growing on me a ton this season, quickly becoming my favorite player.

Arena was pretty festive last night. I love the fans in the upper decks. At one point I heard what sounded like a bass drum? Or perhaps someone brought a war elephant? Either way, it was awesome!

How MTL and ANA must feel about Big Ben...

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
Awesome game last night, loved the Forum vibe and the way the Lightning played. Their speed and "in your face" confrontational style is a combination that is hard to beat.
^I agree warlord6, Filppula's skill set is just a fun watch and fits into the style of the TBL to a T.
Great pick up by SFY.

Tyler Durden

Sep 18, 2009
I believe Filppula was playing on the second line with Brown and Purcell. The top line was Killorn Connolly St.Louis. I don't understand why Filppula didn't just play on the top line? He does centre the top PP line with Brown and Purcell on the wings, and St.Louis playing the point with Hedman, did Filppula get to play on the top line as a centre vs the Ducks last night?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't figure out how Flip fell out of favor in Detroit. Comparing him to his replacement, Weiss, is just... I don't even know what to call it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I believe Filppula was playing on the second line with Brown and Purcell. The top line was Killorn Connolly St.Louis. I don't understand why Filppula didn't just play on the top line? He does centre the top PP line with Brown and Purcell on the wings, and St.Louis playing the point with Hedman, did Filppula get to play on the top line as a centre vs the Ducks last night?

Flip's line is basically the top line for now. They're definitely the most effective.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa

If you are slotting Filp on top line and bringing Connolly to second line - then you'd have Brown/Connolly/Purcell on 2nd line - why would you want this? I like that Cooper keeps the lines balanced - it will take time for Connolly to get the chemistry going but I forsee good things to come from that line in the VERY near future.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Flip did get plenty of time with MSL and Killorn, I noticed them out their quite a bit even outside the PP. He got double shifted now and then and led the team in icetime, Connolly only played 13mins.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
As a Lightning and Redwings fan Flipulla has really impressed me for the Bolts. He was anti-clutch and couldn't finish even though he showed tremendous potential and talent at times in Detroit. He has really elevated his game. The whole team is playing so much better under Cooper and the grooming of the farm team up to the pros is really paying off its dividends. I was very impressed and proud of the Lightning last night dominated the 1st place Ducks.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
Flip did get plenty of time with MSL and Killorn, I noticed them out their quite a bit even outside the PP. He got double shifted now and then and led the team in icetime, Connolly only played 13mins.

Flip had 15 5v5 mins, 12,7 with Purcell, 12,4 Brown, 1,9 Killorn, 1,5 MSL

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
I can't figure out how Flip fell out of favor in Detroit. Comparing him to his replacement, Weiss, is just... I don't even know what to call it.

There was a rumour of 7-year contract before the free agenzy, which Flip declined at the time and tested the market anyway. Wings went for plan B and got Weiss. Good for Val to get out of there tho, they're in one big mess atm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad