11/11/1985: Remembering Pelle Lindbergh

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
My dad (who has been a Flyers fan since the 80's) still says that they would have won at least one cup with Lindbergh in net.

It's not like his Vezina winning season was a fluke either, a lot of people don't realize that he had some major hardware before he won the Vezina.

-Named best goaltender at the European Junior Championships in 1976, and 1977.
-Selected to the WJC All-Star Team in 1978.
-Named best goaltender at the WJC in 1978.
-Selected to the Swedish World All-Star Team in 1979, 1980, and 1983.
-Selected to the AHL First All-Star Team in 1981.
-Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award winner in 1981 (AHL lowest GAA...shared with Robbie Moore).
-Dudley "Red" Garrett Memorial Award winner in 1981 (AHL RoY).
-Les Cunningham Award winner in 1981 (AHL MVP).
-Selected to the NHL All-Rookie Team in 1983.
-Selected to the NHL First All-Star Team in 1985.
-Vezina Trophy winner in 1985.
-Played in 1983, 1985 NHL All-Star Games.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Thanks. They were very emotional times to say the least. What a special young man and for my opinion the 2nd best goalie to play for us after Bernie. Yep you heard me right, If he had lived we would have won at least two cups hands down. That was a special group of young men who could really play as a team and Pelle was their backbone and kindred spirit. I to remember the phone call from my best pal telling me the bad news. I called another pal of mine who was and still is today on the Magnolia Fire Company who was at the scene. We all wore suits to the first game at the Spectrum after his death for his service. I still have the service and game on tape and inside the cover along with the tape is the game ticket. By chance alone that game ticket had Pelle on it. So instead of tearing the stub off they just marked the back of the ticket. Pretty nice of them to do that. We all cried that night knowing that we lost a very fine young man and for selfish reasons knowing without him our hopes for a cup were most likely dashed.
RIP Pelle

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Remembering Pelle Lindbergh

I didn't get to watch him play, only heard stories from others, but watching this video, I can't help but to notice how smooth he was, especially for a goalie of that time. I don't think until the arrival of Dominic Hasek did a goalie come along who was so naturally gifted at the position, really amazing video, although I'm not a Flyer fan it really brought a tear to my eye. Hope you guys enjoy this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPzsGg2eQ0k

What an amazing goalie :handclap:

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I didn't get to watch him play, only heard stories from others, but watching this video, I can't help but to notice how smooth he was, especially for a goalie of that time. I don't think until the arrival of Dominic Hasek did a goalie come along who was so naturally gifted at the position, really amazing video, although I'm not a Flyer fan it really brought a tear to my eye. Hope you guys enjoy this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPzsGg2eQ0k

What an amazing goalie :handclap:

Thank you. It is always good to see that young man no matter what.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Thank you. It is always good to see that young man no matter what.

The first game of the 1980 Olympics was shown live on TV in bits and spurts because of limited options and availability at the time. I remember watching Bill Baker score against Sweden in the last minute to tie that game; the U.S. squad was at the initial stages of the eventual fervor. Lindbergh was solid, too. That same night, the Soviets beat Japan 16-0.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
The first game of the 1980 Olympics was shown live on TV in bits and spurts because of limited options and availability at the time. I remember watching Bill Baker score against Sweden in the last minute to tie that game; the U.S. squad was at the initial stages of the eventual fervor. Lindbergh was solid, too. That same night, the Soviets beat Japan 16-0.

Must've been a great Olympics, if only he had been able to reach his prime, I think the Flyers would've had the best goalie in the league until Hasek came along.

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
As a younger fan, I wasn't lucky enough to be able to watch him play. But almost every person I talk to tells me the Flyers would have won at least one Cup if Pelle never passed. RIP.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
As a younger fan, I wasn't lucky enough to be able to watch him play. But almost every person I talk to tells me the Flyers would have won at least one Cup if Pelle never passed. RIP.

Yeah, I think the Flyers would've won the Cup in 1987 if they had Pelle Lindbergh. No disrespect to Ron Hextall, but Lindbergh was at a higher level IMO.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Yeah, I think the Flyers would've won the Cup in 1987 if they had Pelle Lindbergh. No disrespect to Ron Hextall, but Lindbergh was at a higher level IMO.

Hextall won the Conn Smythe that season. There would be little room for improvement for any goalie that season. 1986 and the possibilities would be a much better argument. 1987, the Flyers were decimated by injuries and to get to the 7th game against arguably the most powerful team constructed was a phenomenal achievement.

Last edited:

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
The Flyers of the mid-80s were probably the only team in the NHL that could go toe-to-toe with the Oilers in a 7 game series (just judging by the roster/stats of course). We had some pretty stacked teams back then.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Hextall won the Conn Smythe that season. There would be little room for improvement for any goalie that season. 1986 and the possibilities would be a much better argument. 1987, the Flyers were decimated by injuries and to get to the 7th game against arguably the most powerful team constructed was a phenomenal achievement.

Probably true, that team took the Oilers to the brink. I just figured Lindbergh could've taken them an extra step.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey

Hextall is number three on my list(or four do to Doug F).:sarcasm: I do not know what year but they would have won a cup or two. Pelle had "it". And the team just fed off him. There was something very special about him and the sky was the limit. Who knows how good this young man could have turned out. Drinking and driving:shakehead. I am just glad I did not kill anyone when I used to have more than a few and drove. But those days are long gone for this old SOB.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Hextall is number three on my list(or four do to Doug F).:sarcasm: I do not know what year but they would have won a cup or two. Pelle had "it". And the team just fed off him. There was something very special about him and the sky was the limit. Who knows how good this young man could have turned out. Drinking and driving:shakehead. I am just glad I did not kill anyone when I used to have more than a few and drove. But those days are long gone for this old SOB.

I hear ya man, my dad is a huge Flyer fan, always talks about the greatness of Pelle Lindbergh. Never really thought much of it, but then I started looking at his highlights and goalies of that time didn't move like that, not until the 1990s anyway. I don't doubt for a second that the Flyers would've won a Cup or 2 if Pelle Lindbergh didn't pass away like he did. Really a loss, not just for Flyer fans but for the league as a whole. What a great goalie, really think he would've been up there with the likes of Patrick Roy had he not passed.

But you're right, drinking & driving is bad news. I used to do it during my early 20s but not anymore. I just go to the liquor store and drink at home if I'm going to get sloshed these days.

Jgboys1

Apr 28, 2012
Long Island New York
I have been a fan of the Flyers since 1976 and always wanted to go see the Flyers at the Spectrum. That was the 1st game I saw live at the old Spectrum. Bob Froese was in net that night, giving Pelle a much needed night off. Little did I know that Pelle would be gone by the time I woke up the following morning. A sad day indeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad