Post-Game Talk: 11/10/19 | #15 panthers @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
That 3rd line gets buried every game. Multiple guys have played there too.

The only consistent on that line is Howden and it's remaining the same. No clue how he can keep getting buried in every game and stay in his spot. It's amazing.

When Zibanejad comes back, he needs to sit or go down. I can see the reluctance on playing Andersson there, but you can go with Zibanejad, Strome, and Chytil down the middle and whoever on the 4C spot.

Doubt it happens, but something has to change.

Just put Zbad with Kakko. We’re scoring. Don’t change a thing otherwise.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Can really see the kids' talent starting to gel together. Really encouraging. Lias and Howden need to flip spots. Brett is just not showing much offensive mustard or puck possession to warrant top 9.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
We're going to have a monster second half after some of these kids get fully acclimated. Fox, Chytil, Buchnevich, DeAngelo and Lindgren all looking really, really good. Lemieux is starting to chip in some offense and blocking shots at 100%. Kakko's game is definitely coming along, hes making strides and Panarin is just a savage. Howden is definitely disappointing right now. Once Zibenejad gets back, I think this team can absolutely go on a tear but the majority of the games will be similar to this; high scoring track meets. We just don't have the personnel yet to shut most other teams down and that's strictly due to a young/inexperienced D core.

TLDR; if we're going to lose, I want to lose like this where there is obvious progression and where the kids take charge of the game

We are probably to have a shit ton of OTLs

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We are scoring but lines 1 3 and 4 are getting destroyed every night. Can’t keep playing like this need some changes.

Reactions: Ola

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
We are scoring but lines 1 3 and 4 are getting destroyed every night. Can’t keep playing like this need some changes.

infeel like they did better for a few games like the nahsville game but then went back to getting buried.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
infeel like they did better for a few games like the nahsville game but then went back to getting buried.

we’re asking a whole lot of Strome and Fast playing against superstars every night. It’s not sustainable. They’ve been opportunistic mainly because Panarin is so good but that top line has been buried religiously.

Reactions: kovazub94

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yes they’re basically trying to hold on defensively and I the neutral zone and the. Make something happen quickly offensively. It’s not a great looking line

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Most shifts against the opponents best line we have Fast Strome and A talented but very raw libor Hajek out there with Panarin and Trouba.

Imo it’s not a big coincidence that Trouba has struggled the last two weeks after a strong start with Mika out. The top unit has struggled badly, they just happen to keep putting points up in the process lol

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Honest question, do you view yourself as objective when it comes to Hank? Because quite frankly if your opinions about Hank are valid he is not only the greatest goalie in the history of the game, he is the greatest athlete in the history of sports. The guy makes a mistake in your eyes about 3 times a season. Come on man, your posts are a self-parody at this point.

It's a miniscule counter-weight to the decade long tradition to dedicating 2/3s of every PGT after Henrik loses or his back up wins to declaring the end of Hanks career and the disaster that is his contract.

He made a lot of big saves, especially early and gave us enough to win a game. That's all a goalie can ever actually do, because y'know, they're goalies. Save percentages in a game are like a Corsi measurement. If it's .655 or something it's a bad night, but a 6-5 loss in the shootout? Trailing by just 2-1 after getting outshot 18 to 9 in the first? He had some huge saves shorthanded to keep it close and the goal that beat him was a great deflection fifteen feet out.

Was he great tonight, maybe not. But he was good enough for us to win. If that's your bad nights at 37 there shouldn't be a need for nevesis to come in and defend the guy.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Is it that big of a deal to take like three minutes to see who wins the game?
I think he was saying it’s not a viable way to end a pro game, especially since it doesn’t happen in the playoffs etc when shit gets real. It’s not about time management it’s about what matters?

Reactions: romba

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
In going over the highlights, the only goal that was egregious in regards to D coverage was MAYBE the Vatrano breakaway. The D was caught in the middle of a change. When the goal was scored, Fox had just gotten on the ice and Trouba was still left on. (Which might indicate it was a weird change, cause that's 2 righties on together). But really, Smith was taken out so quickly that the puck transitioned back up the ice much faster than usual in that situation. So, it's not like the other night where all 5 guys went off at the same time.

The other 4 goals were not terribly defended. There were no breakdowns on the two goals against in the first. The Dadanov PP goal happened just as Sjkei left Dadanov to cover the passer. So, I don't know. Maybe he should have slid or laid his stick across the ice instead of just pivoted? He only had a split second really. And the Boyle deflection was also no one's fault. Lias got picked trying to get to the point. And it's possible Sjkei could have gotten better body position on Boyle. Or done a better job of tying up his stick. Honestly, the D wasn't terrible. Not perfect. But not as bad as it looks on the scoresheet.

One other positive worth pointing out -- Fox had a partial breakaway again. That's two games in a row. I really do think having Lindgren around is giving Fox more confidence to join the rush.

One thing about Kakko. While his offensive game is getting better, they've gotta work with him on where he needs to be when the team is trying to break out of the zone. I don't mean a structured breakout. But what happens when our D forces a turnover and turns up ice, looking for an outlet. Kakko breaks out of the zone too early or puts himself in no man's land. Far too often when his line is on the ice, they're chipping the puck out and losing possession. Some of this might be on his linemates. But I do think Kakko needs to make himself a better outlet option. This, along with his first step are areas i'd like to see him improve on as he matures.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Most shifts against the opponents best line we have Fast Strome and A talented but very raw libor Hajek out there with Panarin and Trouba.

Imo it’s not a big coincidence that Trouba has struggled the last two weeks after a strong start with Mika out. The top unit has struggled badly, they just happen to keep putting points up in the process lol

Agreed, and let’s not forget — Ziba hasn’t exactly excelled 5 on 5 in these match-ups either all the time. They are tough. Different challenges every night depending on who you play.

Michal

Apr 12, 2019
Warsaw, Poland
Are you really in Warsaw? I am living in Bialystok these days... "Semi retired" - like consigliere Tom Hagen once aptly put it ... We should meet, if so. Not that many NYR fans around here... Otoh your comments might get me into trouble... hehehe
Hi, I live in Warsaw as well :)

Reactions: BBKers

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
and every other goalie under 35 kicks that out easily then pushes off their back foot to slide into position for the rebound. Puck would never slide under him to the far post. If you’re going to continue to be like this lovesick at least know what you’re talking about.
From what I have read you and Nevesis are correct, with different points of view. I think that was the 2nd time in Hank's tenure, that I have ever seen him flat on his back. That is NEVER a good thing. I feel that he felt had he gotten up, it could slide under with perfect timing and felt he should stay put. Technically, that puck should never have sneaked under.
And yeah, Fox blew his assignment. Fox probably thought Hank had it, and didnt make sure his man wasnt gonna get it......"if" .........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad