GDT: 11/1/18 - 7:30PM EDT - Nashville vs Tampa Bay

Bozo Nicholson

5 Alarm Fire™
Jun 6, 2015
We can afford the occasional miscue from Stamkos when he's scoring 40 and 50 goals a year. But right now he has 2 goals in his last 24 games. Mainly because he's passing up A-grade opportunities for no reason I can fathom.
Gooooood God :help:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Especially when the whole team was on the same page tonight about pucks on net. The Captain gives up a stupid turnover like that.

It was so pointless. Kucherov was on the boards. He's not gonna score from there even if the pass gets through. Stamkos is in the slot. There's traffic. ...I just don't get it with this guy. He just doesn't think on his feet. His instincts are wrong about 70% of the time lately.

LonLon Lei

Feb 27, 2018
welp, still looking forward to the next game vs. Canediens.
I appreciate the team's effort tonight and expect us to do more or less the same...except captain,
please take care of yourself...!!

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's no benefit to keeping Stamkos and Kucherov on the same PP unit if neither can get their shot off. Kucherov is much better shooter than he is a passer, he can rarely hit Stamkos in his sweet spot from his side of the ice.

He needs to move to the point if he wants to feed Stamkos all day like the 2-5th goals in this video.

That loaded up shot is something we've barely seen this season because Stamkos is on the same unit.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
There's no benefit to keeping Stamkos and Kucherov on the same PP unit if neither can get their shot off. Kucherov is much better shooter than he is a passer, he can rarely hit Stamkos in his sweet spot from his side of the ice.

He needs to move to the point if he wants to feed Stamkos all day like the 2-5th goals in this video.

That loaded up shot is something we've barely seen this season because Stamkos is on the same unit.

Watching that video makes me sad.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The 1st unit was horrific tonight. When Hedman gets back, I'd like to see us go Point-Hedman-Kucherov across the top on Unit 1 (to recreate Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov), and Stamkos-Sergachev-Miller/X on Unit 2. And split the time a little more equally.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
The 1st unit was horrific tonight. When Hedman gets back, I'd like to see us go Point-Hedman-Kucherov across the top on Unit 1 (to recreate Drouin-Hedman-Kucherov), and Stamkos-Sergachev-Miller/X on Unit 2. And split the time a little more equally.
I think Point Gourde TJ should be locked ina while. Figure out how to get Kuch going and hide Stammer away from the top 6

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think Point Gourde TJ should be locked ina while. Figure out how to get Kuch going and hide Stammer away from the top 6

I'm only talking about the PP. I'd like to break up Stamkos and Kucherov and get back to what made us successful on the PP when Richards first came in, which was Drouin-to-Hedman-to-Kucherov = $$$. Point can take Drouin's place easily enough. We looked great last year too with Stamkos as a trigger-man, but now they won't stop ****ing up.

At ES, I agree we have to keep that line together. Maybe go with Miller-Stamkos-X, and then Kucherov with whoever's left over.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Man that video is depressing. To think he once moved like that and was hungry for goals. He looks NOTHING like that now. There will never be another MSL in Tampa history. The vision was just unreal.

Saw the recaps of the goals scored and he looked lost. Missed the game.

ElectricDreamMachine

Nov 5, 2013
Just a brutal game from Stammer. First he lost the coverage on Josi on the second goal and then that god awful decision to cross ice pass in third period, which led to the third goal. I love the guy and keep having faith that eventually he will turn it around but he's a complete disaster right now on 5v5.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
Sigh. Stamkos is such an irrelevant piece of this team right now, I actually find myself asking if we wouldn't be better without him on the ice for a few games. He's been a net negative this season. It's sad.

waterboy65

Jul 7, 2017
Aging stars who are faced with declining athletic skills typically rely upon their increased knowledge of the game to find a way to contribute at a high level. In some cases, despite erosion of skills, some players like MSL and Yzerman played at an elite level late into their 30's because they were able to anticipate plays. Unfortunately, Stammer is not showing this anticipation ability and he is making stupid mistakes that you would expect out of a rookie. If he is unable to rely upon his experience to show him how to play the game correctly then he his game will continue to rapidly deteriorate.

Hockeyfan4453

Jul 26, 2009
City of Champions
On a serious note, there is no way this team can endure this type of play and $8.5 million cap hit for the remaining 5 years. Don't forget: we saw this team get to game 7 of the ECF against one of the most dominant teams we've seen in the past decade in the Pens. All this WITHOUT STAMKOS

He has been a complete liability to this team. It's so sad to see, especially when I watch the video of him and Marty. Anyone else remember when Tocchet became coach here and instructed Stamkos on going to net, scoring tip goals, how to score in a number of different way...

When is the last time someone saw Stamkos drive to the net and tip in a point shot for a goal? In 2011-2012 he used to do that all the time in addition to his patented clapper. It pains me to witness this. Biznasty was right unfortunately...the man is a MENTAL MIDGET!!

All the injuries have done quite the toll on him mentally and physically. The way he thinks the game and adjusts to the play is egregious lately. Open in the slot and you decide to make a 40 ft. cross ice feed to Kuch who doesn't have a good scoring position??? The man is just afraid to go to the net anymore, looks slow, and injuries have clearly taken their impact. Very sad - but if I were Brisbois, I seriously consider moving on from him in a year or two. Especially, if we don't win the cup this year with another stacked roster...

I truly think it's time we start considering options to move him. Yes. Even if he's out captain and such a decorated player in franchise history. The team should always take priority. We are slowly but surely developing a bad reputation as playoff chokers and Mr. 91 has been a big reason for it.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I wonder what he does in practice, take a bunch of shots so he can never use it in game and not develop any other area of his game? :laugh:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
On the subject of moving him, even though I know it's unlikely, if we WERE to do it, sooner is better than later. His value is going to decline as word gets out. If he were willing to waive, there are still a few teams (St. Louis) so desperate for a 1C that they might overlook the "rumors" that his play has deteriorated drastically over the last five years.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Really wish Stamkos would stop trying to be Kucherovs MSL. Separate them and tell them to just rip shots.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
On a serious note, there is no way this team can endure this type of play and $8.5 million cap hit for the remaining 5 years. Don't forget: we saw this team get to game 7 of the ECF against one of the most dominant teams we've seen in the past decade in the Pens. All this WITHOUT STAMKOS

He has been a complete liability to this team. It's so sad to see, especially when I watch the video of him and Marty. Anyone else remember when Tocchet became coach here and instructed Stamkos on going to net, scoring tip goals, how to score in a number of different way...

When is the last time someone saw Stamkos drive to the net and tip in a point shot for a goal? In 2011-2012 he used to do that all the time in addition to his patented clapper. It pains me to witness this. Biznasty was right unfortunately...the man is a MENTAL MIDGET!!

All the injuries have done quite the toll on him mentally and physically. The way he thinks the game and adjusts to the play is egregious lately. Open in the slot and you decide to make a 40 ft. cross ice feed to Kuch who doesn't have a good scoring position??? The man is just afraid to go to the net anymore, looks slow, and injuries have clearly taken their impact. Very sad - but if I were Brisbois, I seriously consider moving on from him in a year or two. Especially, if we don't win the cup this year with another stacked roster...

I truly think it's time we start considering options to move him. Yes. Even if he's out captain and such a decorated player in franchise history. The team should always take priority. We are slowly but surely developing a bad reputation as playoff chokers and Mr. 91 has been a big reason for it.

Make some fair points here, what would you want/think will be a good return for him though. If he continues to have a bad season then the return is not going to be as good.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Make some fair points here, what would you want/think will be a good return for him though. If he continues to have a bad season then the return is not going to be as good.

A $6m player, to me, makes us a better team, because the savings would help us keep Yanni Gourde, among others, while a $6m player would fill the void left by Stamkos, and possibly be an improvement.

Stamkos might actually consider waiving for Toronto, although the paycut would be severe (he's paid mostly in bonuses), and I would strongly consider a Nylander-for-Stamkos trade, if we could ink Nylander for less than 7, even though I doubt we'd be willing to deal with Toronto.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
A $6m player, to me, makes us a better team, because the savings would help us keep Yanni Gourde, among others, while a $6m player would fill the void left by Stamkos, and possibly be an improvement.

Stamkos might actually consider waiving for Toronto, although the paycut would be severe (he's paid mostly in bonuses), and I would strongly consider a Nylander-for-Stamkos trade, if we could ink Nylander for less than 7, even though I doubt we'd be willing to deal with Toronto.

Why? We'd be increasing our chances in the playoffs giving Stamkos to a rival team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad