GDT: 11/04/2019 | Game 16 | Red Wings vs. Predators | 7:30 EST | FSD+

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
We used to have separate pre game and post game gdt's. Then the team started losing and we lost one of our great GDT makers (FlashyG). Nowadays we just seem to make it all into one thread because we've lost our enthusiasm. At least thats how I see it lol.

Gotcha. It makes it difficult for someone to jump into the GDT when it also includes the pregame. Or, for instance today, I wanted to check out post game comments but have to locate the right page in the GDT.

I wish the Wings board had more activity, I'd visit more often. Kinda depressing that an all encompassing PGT/GDT/Post-GT is fewer pages than other teams (even bad teams) GDT.

Hey Hey Hockeytown.

Reactions: Filppula

The Wizard of Oz

Feb 24, 2013
Michigan
He was the only reason why the team was relevant last year until he inevitably got injured.

The guy was never really good enough to win you a series but the sheer hate he gets never surprised me. Up until this season he was the least of their problems.
A lot of it is left over hate from when we were contending and he wasn’t shutting the door. I only remember one good Howard playoff run (the second Sharks series?).

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We used to have separate pre game and post game gdt's. Then the team started losing and we lost one of our great GDT makers (FlashyG). Nowadays we just seem to make it all into one thread because we've lost our enthusiasm. At least thats how I see it lol.

Yeah, I'm just not sure there's a market for post game threads. Hell, there are times where it seems like the post game comments are starting in the second period.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
For all of the griping about Holland, and all of the griping about how this team sucks, I'm waiting for the cognitive leap towards maybe Holland not being entirely wrong in trying to keep the team mildly competitive while rebuilding. Especially with the draft lotto being so disadvantageous to totally bottoming out.

That's just not a position that holds much strength,
Holland didn't even start talking about "rebuild on the fly" until 2015 or so - 4-5 seasons after such talk had any point.
The time to rebuild while being competitive was after the loss of Hossa. Or at least Rafalski. WHile you still had elite players good enough to hold the fort while youngsters or replacements learned new roles.
Maybe our youth movement sucked at the time... but Modano, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Salei. Alfredsson. Brad Richards. Colaicovo. Quincey. Legwand. Cole. Samuelsson. Zidlicky. Etc. Etc. Etc.
All the signings that amounted to zero.
All the signings that cost youth much needed experience. All the trades that cost us picks or prospects and put our own prospects on the back burner.

Even in more recent years.
Frans Nielsen. 6 years. For what? To ensure what?
Ultimately, it doesn't prevent us from sucking as bad as we do. So why? You saw how Yzerman handled it. He didn't award stupid six-year contracts to Nemeth or Filppula.

2010 and beyond Holland was a rudderless, sputtering mess.
His years of passivity and status-quo thinking ensured this team would become far worse than the thing he feared it might become.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That's just not a position that holds much strength,
Holland didn't even start talking about "rebuild on the fly" until 2015 or so - 4-5 seasons after such talk had any point.
The time to rebuild while being competitive was after the loss of Hossa. Or at least Rafalski. WHile you still had elite players good enough to hold the fort while youngsters or replacements learned new roles.
Maybe our youth movement sucked at the time... but Modano, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Salei. Alfredsson. Brad Richards. Colaicovo. Quincey. Legwand. Cole. Samuelsson. Zidlicky. Etc. Etc. Etc.
All the signings that amounted to zero.
All the signings that cost youth much needed experience. All the trades that cost us picks or prospects and put our own prospects on the back burner.

Even in more recent years.
Frans Nielsen. 6 years. For what? To ensure what?
Ultimately, it doesn't prevent us from sucking as bad as we do. So why? You saw how Yzerman handled it. He didn't award stupid six-year contracts to Nemeth or Filppula.

2010 and beyond Holland was a rudderless, sputtering mess.
His years of passivity and status-quo thinking ensured this team would become far worse than the thing he feared it might become.

You are the same person sitting here on a daily basis complaining about how the team isn't competitive and is a poor situation for the young talent to develop in. And you are now seeing the fruits of not making the moves to maintain competitiveness. You are FIRMLY straddling the fence on this situation, and instead of picking a side to be on, you continue to yell from both sides.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I don't recall post-game threads ever been a consistent thing.

But look at this thread. A measly 15 pages. No need for a post-game thread in my opinion.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

But look at this thread. A measly 15 pages. No need for a post-game thread in my opinion.
I'm not advocating for post game threads, just answering a question and I distinctly remember being post game threads because people would complain about the score being revealed in the title.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Gotcha. It makes it difficult for someone to jump into the GDT when it also includes the pregame. Or, for instance today, I wanted to check out post game comments but have to locate the right page in the GDT.

I wish the Wings board had more activity, I'd visit more often. Kinda depressing that an all encompassing PGT/GDT/Post-GT is fewer pages than other teams (even bad teams) GDT.

Hey Hey Hockeytown.
As far as activity goes, I tried asking the mods about a Wings Lounge but nothing came of it.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
He was the only reason why the team was relevant last year until he inevitably got injured.

The guy was never really good enough to win you a series but the sheer hate he gets never surprised me. Up until this season he was the least of their problems.
His current value is trash and that's what I am talking about not his lifetime failures..

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown

Hey Hey Hockeytown.
Here's the postgame comments in a nutshell. "We suck!"

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
It is funny though how those traits are systematic of most young, rebuilding teams at the bottom of their competitive cycles. Posters are acting like the Wings are somehow the first team to struggle with these issues. Just look at how Edmonton, AZ, Buffalo and Carolina played during the bottom of their rebuilds. Those teams weren't coached by Blashill and had the same damn issues even after multiple coaching changes.

This team is mentally weak and lacking confidence because they know they are lacking talent and that they need everything to break in their favor to win games. It sucks but is very predictable.
But we are not a young team, and I hope this is the bottom of our cycle I can't see it getting much worse.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Nobody said tanking is easy nor fun. In fact, by all accounts both Holland and Yzerman had said a million times and in no uncertain terms "be patient".

So... be patient!

Bottom line, losing these games are necessary. I fully suspect the team should start sniffing the playoffs and be on a steady upswing after 2022/2023.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I am still riding too high on the news of Holland out and Yzerman in to care about how the team performs this season. Every loss is another step closer to better odds in the lottery.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
We have a lot of young assets, some of which are being kept from the team.

And the Wings don't really have a lot of old guys playing right now. Pretty much all of the old guys on the blueline are either hurt or in GR. The average age of the guys actually playing on our blueline right now is around 24 1/2. Up front, we have just four guys over thirty, and only one of them plays in the top6. The Wings have kids in a lot of big spots, and they're likely to get younger next year.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Haha yea it would be just wonderful to be super competitive and lose 82 games 6-5 because of a lucky bounce or a bad call. And it would be wonderful if we could just forfeit the season and guarantee ourselves the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall all at once.

You guys are missing the reality that the better we are, the fewer games we will lose. If you lose a game looking good, you will win the next game looking bad.

If you want to be last in the league in the standings, you're going to have to convincingly look the part.
Last season the wings finished with a pretty terrible record but were competitive in games and showed progress.

why is that so hard to understand?

Reactions: Oddbob

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nobody said tanking is easy nor fun. In fact, by all accounts both Holland and Yzerman had said a million times and in no uncertain terms "be patient".

So... be patient!

Bottom line, losing these games are necessary. I fully suspect the team should start sniffing the playoffs and be on a steady upswing after 2022/2023.
Tanking is easy. Watching it is tough. Ignoring it is easier, we could just stop watching games if the team would like.

It's not the talent level, it's the lack of effort and any resemblance of a system. Not to mention the complete inability to score on PP. That's usually how crappy teams score.

I'd be OK if the team gave up 3 or 4 goals a game as long as they scored 2 or 3.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Honestly I feel the biggest reason we used to do them was the star system voting. With how the team has been playing that process has become less important. We know the five difference makers on the team that will win every vote and the hated guys that will be talked about in this thread. It isn't phenomenally different. I am not opposed going back to the Post-Game thread, but I doubt it is going to drum up more interest and just creates another thread for me. People also used to complain about us locking the GDT when we created the PGT which is another part of this. So if someone made a good in game point on page 8 it is then in a dead thread.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Since oct. 10, our goalies have posted .880 (howard) and .889 (Bernier) save percentages. And while our PK has been bad, Howard's ES sv% is only .886.

If we bump ahead two weeks, Howard's ESSV% since 10/24 is .868 and Bernier's is .893

Our goalies have been crap.
I didn’t catch the last game so I can’t speak to that but the sad part is they actually haven’t been terrible most games. I specifically remember saying in a GDT just recently that Bernier gave up 4 goals but had actually played well. The team was just getting that badly outplayed.

You can’t just look at save % when the players in front of them are crap.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn’t catch the last game so I can’t speak to that but the sad part is they actually haven’t been terrible most games. I specifically remember saying in a GDT just recently that Bernier gave up 4 goals but had actually played well. The team was just getting that badly outplayed.

You can’t just look at save % when the players in front of them are crap.

Jimmy and Bernier aren't playing very good hockey either. I didn't like the second or third goal and guess what the night is over. We can talk about how badly they played and the second and third were an abomination, but key in that was goalies that couldn't be asked to make some even difficult saves. They do get some passes at times, but we are allowing 5 goals a game and while I don't like the quality of chances at some point you're paid to make a save.

I am low on excuses for this team right now.

I am not sure canning Blash is going to make a difference at all, but I am curious what Yzerman does when he gets back from Finland. I said this a couple weeks ago, but man this reminds me of that season Colorado had a couple years ago where they finished in the basement by a country mile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad