GDT: 11/04/2019 | Game 16 | Red Wings vs. Predators | 7:30 EST | FSD+

Discussion in 'Detroit Red Wings' started by ArGarBarGar, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b Wings

We used to have separate pre game and post game gdt's. Then the team started losing and we lost one of our great GDT makers (FlashyG). Nowadays we just seem to make it all into one thread because we've lost our enthusiasm. At least thats how I see it lol.

Gniwder, breuk and The Wizard of Oz like this.
  2. The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz Registered User

Seems as though Boston was the only successful rebuild on the fly or retool.

3. ElysiumAB

ElysiumAB Registered User

Gotcha. It makes it difficult for someone to jump into the GDT when it also includes the pregame. Or, for instance today, I wanted to check out post game comments but have to locate the right page in the GDT.

I wish the Wings board had more activity, I'd visit more often. Kinda depressing that an all encompassing PGT/GDT/Post-GT is fewer pages than other teams (even bad teams) GDT.

Hey Hey Hockeytown.

Filppula likes this.
  4. The Wizard of Oz

The Wizard of Oz Registered User

A lot of it is left over hate from when we were contending and he wasn’t shutting the door. I only remember one good Howard playoff run (the second Sharks series?).

5. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

Yeah, I'm just not sure there's a market for post game threads. Hell, there are times where it seems like the post game comments are starting in the second period.

6. MBH

MBH Registered User

That's just not a position that holds much strength,
    Holland didn't even start talking about "rebuild on the fly" until 2015 or so - 4-5 seasons after such talk had any point.
    The time to rebuild while being competitive was after the loss of Hossa. Or at least Rafalski. WHile you still had elite players good enough to hold the fort while youngsters or replacements learned new roles.
    Maybe our youth movement sucked at the time... but Modano, Bertuzzi, Cleary, Salei. Alfredsson. Brad Richards. Colaicovo. Quincey. Legwand. Cole. Samuelsson. Zidlicky. Etc. Etc. Etc.
    All the signings that amounted to zero.
    All the signings that cost youth much needed experience. All the trades that cost us picks or prospects and put our own prospects on the back burner.

Even in more recent years.
    Frans Nielsen. 6 years. For what? To ensure what?
    Ultimately, it doesn't prevent us from sucking as bad as we do. So why? You saw how Yzerman handled it. He didn't award stupid six-year contracts to Nemeth or Filppula.

2010 and beyond Holland was a rudderless, sputtering mess.
    His years of passivity and status-quo thinking ensured this team would become far worse than the thing he feared it might become.

7. Hen Kolland

Hen Kolland Registered User

Financial Analyst
    You are the same person sitting here on a daily basis complaining about how the team isn't competitive and is a poor situation for the young talent to develop in. And you are now seeing the fruits of not making the moves to maintain competitiveness. You are FIRMLY straddling the fence on this situation, and instead of picking a side to be on, you continue to yell from both sides.

8. ArGarBarGar

ArGarBarGar Defense Please

I don't recall post-game threads ever been a consistent thing.

But look at this thread. A measly 15 pages. No need for a post-game thread in my opinion.

9. Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b Wings

I'm not advocating for post game threads, just answering a question and I distinctly remember being post game threads because people would complain about the score being revealed in the title.

10. Hammettf2b

Hammettf2b Wings

As far as activity goes, I tried asking the mods about a Wings Lounge but nothing came of it.

11. Bondurant

Bondurant Registered User

This is a sign I want to see.

12. Steve Yzerlland

Steve Yzerlland Registered User

His current value is trash and that's what I am talking about not his lifetime failures..

13. GMR

GMR Registered User

Air Raid Warden
    Here's the postgame comments in a nutshell. "We suck!"

odin1981 and Winger98 like this.
  14. Goalie guy

Goalie guy Registered User

Carpenter
    But we are not a young team, and I hope this is the bottom of our cycle I can't see it getting much worse.

15. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

If anyone makes it I hope they at least list me as the original source material.

Bondurant likes this.
  16. Dotter

Dotter life feels like a test I didn’t study for

Home Page:
    Nobody said tanking is easy nor fun. In fact, by all accounts both Holland and Yzerman had said a million times and in no uncertain terms "be patient".

So... be patient!

Bottom line, losing these games are necessary. I fully suspect the team should start sniffing the playoffs and be on a steady upswing after 2022/2023.

17. Ezekial

Ezekial Registered User

We have a lot of young assets, some of which are being kept from the team.

Winger98 likes this.
  18. Retire91

Retire91 hot and REaDy Wings Sponsor

I am still riding too high on the news of Holland out and Yzerman in to care about how the team performs this season. Every loss is another step closer to better odds in the lottery.

Lazlo Hollyfeld likes this.
  19. Winger98

Winger98 Moderator

And the Wings don't really have a lot of old guys playing right now. Pretty much all of the old guys on the blueline are either hurt or in GR. The average age of the guys actually playing on our blueline right now is around 24 1/2. Up front, we have just four guys over thirty, and only one of them plays in the top6. The Wings have kids in a lot of big spots, and they're likely to get younger next year.

Ezekial and The Zetterberg Era like this.
  20. Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld Pitter Patter

Last season the wings finished with a pretty terrible record but were competitive in games and showed progress.

why is that so hard to understand?

Oddbob likes this.
  21. Gniwder

Gniwder Registered User

Tanking is easy. Watching it is tough. Ignoring it is easier, we could just stop watching games if the team would like.

It's not the talent level, it's the lack of effort and any resemblance of a system. Not to mention the complete inability to score on PP. That's usually how crappy teams score.

I'd be OK if the team gave up 3 or 4 goals a game as long as they scored 2 or 3.

22. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

Honestly I feel the biggest reason we used to do them was the star system voting. With how the team has been playing that process has become less important. We know the five difference makers on the team that will win every vote and the hated guys that will be talked about in this thread. It isn't phenomenally different. I am not opposed going back to the Post-Game thread, but I doubt it is going to drum up more interest and just creates another thread for me. People also used to complain about us locking the GDT when we created the PGT which is another part of this. So if someone made a good in game point on page 8 it is then in a dead thread.

23. Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld Pitter Patter

I didn’t catch the last game so I can’t speak to that but the sad part is they actually haven’t been terrible most games. I specifically remember saying in a GDT just recently that Bernier gave up 4 goals but had actually played well. The team was just getting that badly outplayed.

You can’t just look at save % when the players in front of them are crap.

24. The Zetterberg Era

The Zetterberg Era The Captain is Home!

Jimmy and Bernier aren't playing very good hockey either. I didn't like the second or third goal and guess what the night is over. We can talk about how badly they played and the second and third were an abomination, but key in that was goalies that couldn't be asked to make some even difficult saves. They do get some passes at times, but we are allowing 5 goals a game and while I don't like the quality of chances at some point you're paid to make a save.

I am low on excuses for this team right now.

I am not sure canning Blash is going to make a difference at all, but I am curious what Yzerman does when he gets back from Finland. I said this a couple weeks ago, but man this reminds me of that season Colorado had a couple years ago where they finished in the basement by a country mile.

25. TheOtherOne

TheOtherOne Registered User

Yes and everyone *****ed that we were picking 6th.

odin1981 likes this.