GDT: 11/04/2019 | Game 16 | Red Wings vs. Predators | 7:30 EST | FSD+

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I missed the game. What happened with the puck out of play on the Duchene goal? Did we challenge it? What happened
They couldn't see the puck going out of play on the video because they use the broadcast veiw that has the scoreboard and it was covered. It obviously went out but with the inconclusivity of it Blash didn't think it was worth taking another 2 minute penalty if it was inconclusive.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
All you Holland lovers need to eat your hats! He f***ed this team up to keep "HIS" playoff streak alive, f***ed over Nill, f***ed over Stevie. Then ran like hell to have the oil and all there years of top picks.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
All you Holland lovers need to eat your hats! He ****ed this team up to keep "HIS" playoff streak alive, ****ed over Nill, ****ed over Stevie. Then ran like hell to have the oil and all there years of top picks.
To be fair, he was keeping Mr. I's streak alive, and if that's what Mr I wanted before he died, I'm OK with that. Those picks and players that Holland traded away to keep the streak alive wouldn't have made this current team a contender anyways.

I have an issue with the overly generous contracts Holland handed out, but can't blame him for the streak.

Reactions: Oddbob

Titan6lie

Mar 11, 2019
I don’t think you can call it a lack of effort by a Daley, Nielsen or Filppula. Green is a weird one, because his game always looks nonchalant, but I don’t think he’s quit either.

They might not be a talented bunch, but they are still out there giving effort. Watching Nielsen give up his body to get in front of a shot and struggle to get back to the bench isn’t the behavior of a player disinterested.

It’s more of a significant discrepancy between what hockey was and what it is. These are guys aging poorly, when their game wasn’t based on speed to begin with, and the league pushing more and more as a tempo, young man’s game. They just can’t keep up.
There are many guys in the league who are aging(30 plus)....showing signs of diminished skill and speed, but still contributing on the ice....Getzlaf, Toews, Chara, Perrault, Beagle....all still setting the example for the young guys. Playing the game the right way. Can't say I see that from our vets?

Playing team defense doesn't take a lot of skill....just some commitment, a decent system and willingness to do the work....but all 5 guys on the ice gotta be willing! I think the vets still have enough skill to.play team defense....but....

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
why a new coach? The team is going to be trash for a while. No point not holding the players accountable and firing blash.

at this point who cares

If there is a compete problem, the coach can many times be the reason. Not saying he is the issue all by himelf, but it is entirely possible that the team is tired of the same message they have heard for 5 years and some longer if they played in GR, when the results are losing hockey.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
Well, maybe some here will finally get what they have been wishing for--a bottom finish. Then again, there is that lottery. So, nothing is guaranteed.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I always loved this bizarre hfboards sentiment. "I want to lose every game but I want our team to look really good while doing it!"

You think it's bizarre for fans to be disappointed by this?
Blashill's tenure.
15-16: -.158 goals per game
16-17: -.451 goals per game
17-18: -463 goals per game.
17-18: -.601 goals per game
18-19: -1.81 goals per game

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Bring up Seider it couldn't get much worse.

I want him as far away from this team as possible. Learn from Kronwall and Ericsson in GrandRapids, not Hicketts and Bowey in Detroit. Same with most of those high picks Grand Rapids has down there. Keep them way from this dumpster fire and add them to the team moving forward. This season everyone was saying would be rock bottom, hopefully it works out like the Leafs did. Keep Marner and Nylander away from that rock bottom season, add Matthews first overall and bring them in the following year all together.

Next year the wings adding potentially all of Svechnikov, Zadina, Lafreniere/Byfield, Seider, Smith and Rasmussen in some forms changes the look of this team big time. They likely still suck but theyre fu to watch and they give it their all every shift

There's not even any fun young prospects on the team to watch to ease the pain, despite us being a bottom 10 team for the fourth year in a row...

Were going to be rebuilding for a while

Rock bottom this year, fairly high pick next year and somewhat copmetitive following that hopefully. All depends on lottery luck. I would say that Larkin, Mantha, Bertuzzi, Hronek and Cholowski are young guys that make it fun to watch. Games like last night though where they get their shit pushed in are no fun regardless of whose in the line up

I always loved this bizarre hfboards sentiment. "I want to lose every game but I want our team to look really good while doing it!"

Nothing bizarre about that. Lose some competitve one-two goal games where the young guys play really well but in the end the depth guys like Filppula and Neilson are what holds them back. In a f ew years with higher picks, have better depth that can put the team over the top in those games

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Blashill's tenure.

Is this goal differential per game? Just making sure I am understanding the data set correctly.

What that tells me is that the team has progressively gotten worse. 15-16 was a team with Z, Datsyuk, Tatar, Nyquist, Larkin, relevant Abdelkader, Green. The year after, Datsyuk retired and the team took a step back. The team maintained a similar level until last year, which was the first year without Zetterberg. And this year they lost even more. It fits the concept of a team declining further into a rebuild.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Blashill's tenure.

All anyone is saying is, over the past half decade, every single thread has been riddled with "please just tank, it's stupid not to", and here we are, tanking, and somehow all the people that said they would be happy with that, have vanished or have nothing positive or encouraging to say, or any ideas for what to do from here.

That being said, I'm glad we can all agree now, that tanking is a risky business with serious negative ramifications.

Blashill is floundering at this point, with the way he's handled the defense, and his inability to get anything cooking line 2-4. He's gone out on a limb and tried some things, and stayed the course at other times. Things keep getting worse.

I would say we are entering a phase where Blashill has a couple more weeks to prove that he can have a more positive impact on the young guys than if Disco Dan loosened the reigns and let the young guys play their games unencumbered and let the video show where they're at.

Blashill has a strong psychological slant to his approach, that at this point I think is misplaced. Our u-23's don't have as much to go on, and aren't being surrounded with the kind of energy and positivity that would benefit them imo. Sadly, it seems that Yzerman is comfortable with the amount of negativity that has surrounded our players since training camp. Has anyone even seen a picture of Yzerman watching the team he put together?

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

Doesn't look like Howard is getting any of his bonuses. Shouldn't have even been re-signed.

He was the only reason why the team was relevant last year until he inevitably got injured.

The guy was never really good enough to win you a series but the sheer hate he gets never surprised me. Up until this season he was the least of their problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad