GDT: 11/04/2019 | Game 16 | Red Wings vs. Predators | 7:30 EST | FSD+

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It's very hard to imagine this team making the playoffs in the next three seasons. There's such a talent gap between them and the rest of the league. I have to think Yzerman fires Blashill just because of how non-competitive this group is.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
It's very hard to imagine this team making the playoffs in the next three seasons. There's such a talent gap between them and the rest of the league. I have to think Yzerman fires Blashill just because of how non-competitive this group is.
They are 31st dead last in the league at the moment. They have given up 63 goals in 16 games and only scored 34. Stevie has to make a decision pretty quickly I feel. The PP and PK are brutal. Larkin totally frustrated taking 11 minutes in penalties including a fight. If things don't change by the 20 game mark I think Blashill has to go.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Give Helene credit... Asked Dylan the message question and now the same one to Blashill... Props
That's how she creates her story angles. Takes a handful of questions about a topic and asks all the players for their opinion.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
giphy.gif
Even a blind squirrel can find a nut occasionally. Peace out.

Reactions: RedMenace

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hard-hitting questions have their time and place. Obviously too little too late, but I definitely wouldn't be dropping verbal haymakers on a young guy whose team just got face-rolled for the nth time this season.

The question I f***ing hate is...
"You said the same thing last loss. What changed?"

Like, how the f*** is anyone supposed to answer that?

My questions to Lark tonight...
Dylan - your line had great success earlier. You got reunited tonight? Why was it tough to get it going tonight? Is it easy to find chemistry once you've been apart for a week or two?
What's the frustration level at right now? You got into a fight. You high sticked a guy?

I did respect the question about the coach though.

It's about time the media started asking that shit.
Larkin handled it with class. As he should.

Reactions: RedMenace

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
There's not even any fun young prospects on the team to watch to ease the pain, despite us being a bottom 10 team for the fourth year in a row...

Were going to be rebuilding for a while

Titan6lie

Mar 11, 2019
I know there’s a lot of money in professional sports, but if I’m Filppula, or Daley, or Green, I have to legitimately question how much I want to be around for this
Well the players you mention plus I might add Nielsen, all look like they're just showing up to collect their paycheck. We're one of the oldest teams in the league, but the biggest problem is our veteran guys are showing absolutely zero character on the ice. No effort, no sense of caring. If I'd be one of the young guys who are being asked to carry this team right now I'd be pretty pissed when I see the lack of effort from the veterans who are supposed to be setting the example.

Reactions: nhlisawesome

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I think some of those guys might be kept in GR this season for reasons other than what they can bring to Detroit right now. If Yzerman views this season as a throwaway, and by all indications he does, guys will be kept where he thinks they'll develop the best, not where they can help the Wings immediately.
Sure, with Seider, Veleno, Zadina, and Smith. They need more development. I suppose McIlrath is in GR for a different reason.

But I would argue that BigE or Lashoff would be a better partner for Bowey's development. Hicketts and Bowey aren't good for each other, and I doubt Hicketts is in the team's long term plans. If he is, then I'll just follow the Caps.

Also, Svech needs to play in the NHL, he has to clear waivers next season. Team should give him the opportunity to prove he's ready.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Well the players you mention plus I might add Nielsen, all look like they're just showing up to collect their paycheck. We're one of the oldest teams in the league, but the biggest problem is our veteran guys are showing absolutely zero character on the ice. No effort, no sense of caring. If I'd be one of the young guys who are being asked to carry this team right now I'd be pretty pissed when I see the lack of effort from the veterans who are supposed to be setting the example.

I don't see a lack of effort, I see a lack of ability. Age has caught up with a lot of these guys, and they don't have a good enough team around them to either slot them in correctly in the lineup or to give them the help they need to be effective players in the roles they are in.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I don’t think you can call it a lack of effort by a Daley, Nielsen or Filppula. Green is a weird one, because his game always looks nonchalant, but I don’t think he’s quit either.

They might not be a talented bunch, but they are still out there giving effort. Watching Nielsen give up his body to get in front of a shot and struggle to get back to the bench isn’t the behavior of a player disinterested.

It’s more of a significant discrepancy between what hockey was and what it is. These are guys aging poorly, when their game wasn’t based on speed to begin with, and the league pushing more and more as a tempo, young man’s game. They just can’t keep up.

nhlisawesome

Oct 26, 2019
I don’t think you can call it a lack of effort by a Daley, Nielsen or Filppula. Green is a weird one, because his game always looks nonchalant, but I don’t think he’s quit either.

They might not be a talented bunch, but they are still out there giving effort. Watching Nielsen give up his body to get in front of a shot and struggle to get back to the bench isn’t the behavior of a player disinterested.

It’s more of a significant discrepancy between what hockey was and what it is. These are guys aging poorly, when their game wasn’t based on speed to begin with, and the league pushing more and more as a tempo, young man’s game. They just can’t keep up.
All four of Daley, Nielsen, Filppula and Green were better than average to excellent players (Mike Green fits under this category) with other teams. It's no coincidence that under Blashill's 'system' they've all become garbage. New coach now please.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Sure, with Seider, Veleno, Zadina, and Smith. They need more development. I suppose McIlrath is in GR for a different reason.

But I would argue that BigE or Lashoff would be a better partner for Bowey's development. Hicketts and Bowey aren't good for each other, and I doubt Hicketts is in the team's long term plans. If he is, then I'll just follow the Caps.

Also, Svech needs to play in the NHL, he has to clear waivers next season. Team should give him the opportunity to prove he's ready.

Maybe. I just don't think the Wings play is the focus of the front office. If they like Ericsson and Lashoff in GR to tutor the kids and are willing to just ride it out in the NHL with Hicketts, my impression is that is what they will do.

If the Wings are awful enough, maybe it will force their hand. For what it's worth, I think they'll fire the coach first, just to get some cover on it and hope the team bounces a bit, like most teams do when the coach is fired.

Reactions: 14ari13

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
All four of Daley, Nielsen, Filppula and Green were better than average to excellent players (Mike Green fits under this category) with other teams. It's no coincidence that under Blashill's 'system' they've all become garbage. New coach now please.

why a new coach? The team is going to be trash for a while. No point not holding the players accountable and firing blash.

at this point who cares

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->