Prospect Info: 10th overall: Vancouver selects Vasili Podkolzin (RW, SKA St. Petersburg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Somebody send a Canucks reporter over there so they can get in the post game scrum, and ask what the hell's going on with Podkolzin. This is bush league.

Is it? Is Podkolzin clearly more talented and effective than the other options? Or, perhaps it's just too much too soon, despite the talent?

I think it's an involuntary reflex to blame just the team. What is he doing to get more time?

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
Is it? Is Podkolzin clearly more talented and effective than the other options? Or, perhaps it's just too much too soon, despite the talent?

I think it's an involuntary reflex to blame just the team. What is he doing to get more time?

We have very little to go by so far. What little we've see from his shifts, he seems to drive possession on his line. Also has a knack for creating turnovers and when he has possession, the play doesn't die on his stick. So at least relative to his linemates, he appears to be an effective option.

But so early on in the season, it could be that the roster is in flux as the coach auditions each of his options. That could explain the limited time just as well as KHL aversion to playing young players. I guess we'll see when/if he's sent down to the VHL or stays up.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

From what I have heard it is a stacked team with veteran talent, depending on the coach (we seen this with willie) it might not be on the player and its pretty hard to make an impact with that ice time. Thats not an excuse for him, but he should be sent down to the vhl and work his way up with more ice time. Its clearly just not a fit or situation where he will get top minutes at the moment.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
What a crappy start to his season, wow!
Given literally no chance to prove himself, not letting a player get in the groove and punishing him for it is idiotic.
Wonder if khl, pod and Canucks can work something out and bring him over, this few years of development is crucial and will make/break his career.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
What a crappy start to his season, wow!
Given literally no chance to prove himself, not letting a player get in the groove and punishing him for it is idiotic.
Wonder if khl, pod and Canucks can work something out and bring him over, this few years of development is crucial and will make/break his career.

This is common practice in the KHL. Especially on the top teams.

Its frustrating for sure. Ive given up watching SKA games for now. He is listed on the roster before the game and then gets 1 shift.

This is so wrong. The KHL itself is probably below AHL level at this point.

No. No its really not.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
I wonder if it’s the same as putting a guy in the press box, does anybody know if they dress 13 forwards or something, does his line mates also get very little ice time, is there maybe another player who he only subs in for?

It’s frustrating from a fans point of view but in sure it’s all part of a system, maybe they coach him at ice level on what the game looks like for them before they deploy him, doesn’t sound like he is being punished or singled out because of his character or hard work or anything of the sort

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
I wonder if it’s the same as putting a guy in the press box, does anybody know if they dress 13 forwards or something, does his line mates also get very little ice time, is there maybe another player who he only subs in for?

It’s frustrating from a fans point of view but in sure it’s all part of a system, maybe they coach him at ice level on what the game looks like for them before they deploy him, doesn’t sound like he is being punished or singled out because of his character or hard work or anything of the sort
Yep, that’s exactly what they do. He’s the extra forward, so unless there is an urgent need, he sits and watches.

Not all that bad if this is just to get his feet wet though. Remember when we wanted to send down Boeser, and he said he would rather bide his time with the Canucks and practice with them until his turn came. Brock was older at the time too.

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
Has the VHL even started yet? I recall hearing earlier that he was with the team because the VHL season hadn't started up yet.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Yep, that’s exactly what they do. He’s the extra forward, so unless there is an urgent need, he sits and watches.

Not all that bad if this is just to get his feet wet though. Remember when we wanted to send down Boeser, and he said he would rather bide his time with the Canucks and practice with them until his turn came. Brock was older at the time too.
That was also one of the stupidest goddamn things I've ever seen the Canucks do

Crazy how we had an similar situation where Willie D dressed Rodin and didn't play him a single shift, f***ing lunatic

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i guess we are seeing why he dropped to us. nhl teams have no influence over the stubborn old school way the khl handles and develops rookies and i am sure the fact his khl team expects him to be gone in two years does not help. my guess is another player needs to be injured or sick or in the dog house for him to get more than symbolic ice time right now. hopefully he perseveres and does what is needed to earn real usage.

Reactions: F A N

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
My understanding is that KHL lineups are 20 players, however teams can add an extra 2 junior players to that lineup for a total of 22. That's done to encourage KHL teams to dress young players.

So what you get as a result is players like Podkolzin dressed as a 13th forward to play an odd shift and fill in in case of injuries. SKA won't demote him to the VHL, as they would lose that extra player they can dress.

From the KHL Sports Regulations.

2.2. No Main Team’s roster for any one Championship Game may comprise more than 20 Hockey Players including two goalkeepers. A Club may add to the roster two skaters being the Russian Federation citizens eligible to play for the Russia National Hockey Teams, one skater aged under 19 or 19 and the other skater aged under 20 or 20. The age shall be determined based on the year of birth. Thus, the total number of players in the Club’s roster for a Game may be 22.

About the KHL : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I'm torn because you want your guy to get more playing time, but it does much more to be playing in mens leagues against pros than against junior players.

On the plus side, less risk of injury. :D

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
My understanding is that KHL lineups are 20 players, however teams can add an extra 2 junior players to that lineup for a total of 22. That's done to encourage KHL teams to dress young players.

So what you get as a result is players like Podkolzin dressed as a 13th forward to play an odd shift and fill in in case of injuries. SKA won't demote him to the VHL, as they would lose that extra player they can dress.

From the KHL Sports Regulations.

About the KHL : Kontinental Hockey League (KHL)

Do they get a lot of practice time at least? One thing about the NCAAs vs juniors is that they get more practice time and time in the gym but less games.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
Being a bubble player in the KHL can not be good for his development. The Canucks were incredibly stupid to think that they could get ahead of the curve by drafting a player in a Russian league that they have no influence over. Considering what was available at the draft table he was not worth the risk.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Canucks need to get him out of there. Garbage team over there with how they’re treating him. Hopefully he gets frustrated enough to come to the AHL

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
If I am not mistaken, he can't leave without buying out his contract that can only be done by him, and not the Canucks.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Was looking at Kravtsov as a comparison. In his draft year he was under 10 mins TOI 4 of his first 5 games, and 14 games total over the year. This is just looking at the numbers without context mind you. He hovered between 11-15 mins by mid-September. However in the playoffs he played a lot and never went below 10 mins.

D+1 season he dipped below 10 mins once but other then that was a regular player.

So yeah some definite red flags

Reactions: lindgren

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
If I am not mistaken, he can't leave without buying out his contract that can only be done by him, and not the Canucks.

and even if he wanted to buy it out, he can't afford to do that unless he is sure he will be playing on the nhl squad.

i think we need to relax and be patient. there is some benefit to him dressing and seeing the game from the bench. and if he was in the ncaa, there'd be less games and his total minutes over the season might well be less than what he will get in the khl. that doesn't seem to hurt ncaa prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->