Golf: 100th PGA Championship: August 9-12. Bellerive

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It’s a lot better than 3 regular tour events and 1 major.

Not sure why regular tour events matter so much too you.

There are four of them every year, and I think when you win them disproportionately to your ability to win regular events, I think thats unfortunate for the sport. Who benefits in that case besides that specific player? Majors define legacies. This guy stomps all over that. He can not be a star with 1 regular tour win. Regular tour events are the predominant share of the events he plays, and he sucks in those. But he's going to ruin the ability for the sport to benefit.

Fair play to him, but I don't know why golf fans or media would approve of that.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
There are four of them every year, and I think when you win them disproportionately to your ability to win regular events, I think thats unfortunate for the sport. Who benefits in that case besides that specific player? Majors define legacies. This guy stomps all over that. He can not be a star with 1 regular tour win. Regular tour events are the predominant share of the events he plays, and he sucks in those. But he's going to ruin the ability for the sport to benefit.

Fair play to him, but I don't know why golf fans or media would approve of that.

To answer your question at the end I guess I don't care about how many regular event wins a guy has. Koepka is clearly a top level golfer so it isn't like he is a fluke guy who got lucky one weekend. Those are the guys I hate to see win (Hamilton, Beem, Curtis).

Koepka definitely has the talent that his wins aren't some fluke, he has wins in other tours so it seems his lack of PGA wins likely has a lot to do with his short-ish time on the tour and he does well in other majors even when he doesn't win.

Maybe I am in the minority but his lack of regular tour wins means nothing to me. I could see not liking him because he is pretty bland or because of his comments about liking golf, but the tour wins is odd.

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I honestly think Koepka doesn't care about regular events, and so he doesn't bring his best game to them. I don't know what else could explain it. Because it's not like he's frequently contending in regular events and coming up short... the guy almost never even comes close to winning at non-majors.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
To answer your question at the end I guess I don't care about how many regular event wins a guy has. Koepka is clearly a top level golfer so it isn't like he is a fluke guy who got lucky one weekend. Those are the guys I hate to see win (Hamilton, Beem, Curtis).

Koepka definitely has the talent that his wins aren't some fluke, he has wins in other tours so it seems his lack of PGA wins likely has a lot to do with his short-ish time on the tour and he does well in other majors even when he doesn't win.

Maybe I am in the minority but his lack of regular tour wins means nothing to me. I could see not liking him because he is pretty bland or because of his comments about liking golf, but the tour wins is odd.

He's not a fluke guy and I never said I dislike him. I just will not root for him because he does nothing for the game until he starts winning regular tour events. I think he's better than what he wins from year to year on the tour, but his "wins in other tours" are one event on the European Tour nearly four years ago and two Japanese Tour wins. No one counts the late season Asian events. No one even talks about when the top players win those events. The fact that we have to talk about two "Dunlop Phoenix Tournament" wins proves my point. His last non-major win on the PGA Tour or European Tour was 3.5 years ago.

Its a weird situation for golf. Here is this guy whose accomplishments run contrary to literally like every golfer ever. But by the same token, DJ is no star with his struggles to win majors. Monty wasn't a star. Westwood wasn't a star. Norman wasn't even a star. You gotta combine major wins and tour wins. Koepka doesn't do that. And I'd say he's less of a star than a guy like DJ who just cannot win majors. At least with DJ we know he's better than almost all his peers the majority of the weeks of the year. I don't know if what Koepka's doing is sustainable or not. Maybe these three wins are indication that he'll probably start winning prolifically, but until then, what he's been doing the past two years is actively bad for the game. Once again, you can't blame him for trying to win majors, but in the range of which wins would benefit the sport, Koepka is far down the list, not too much higher than the fluke winners.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I honestly think Koepka doesn't care about regular events, and so he doesn't bring his best game to them. I don't know what else could explain it. Because it's not like he's frequently contending in regular events and coming up short... the guy almost never even comes close to winning at non-majors.

I think you are right. What else could explain it? He's really talented. He *should* be winning like 3-5 of them per year.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Once again, you can't blame him for trying to win majors, but in the range of which wins would benefit the sport, Koepka is far down the list, not too much higher than the fluke winners.

I guess I just don't get where you are coming from because outside of Tigger, Jordan, JT and DJ I can't think of many guys I would put ahead of him in terms of benefit to golf if they won.

Maybe Rickie?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Tiger's back officially! Koepka had a weekend, whatever I don't truly care. Good for him. Tiger still should have won. The first 2 holes of the week cost him, he still had a chance. Bad break on one amd at 14. Both looked to be putts that were going in. Struggled hitting fairways and still had a shot. All those looks missed on the back 9 yesterday. He beat himself more than Koepka beat him.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

It isn't just his wins that he does well in ~20 majors he has played I think he has 5 other top 10 to go with his 3 wins. That would seem to be a pretty good record.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Tiger's back officially! Koepka had a weekend, whatever I don't truly care. Good for him. Tiger still should have won. The first 2 holes of the week cost him, he still had a chance. Bad break on one amd at 14. Both looked to be putts that were going in. Struggled hitting fairways and still had a shot. All those looks missed on the back 9 yesterday. He beat himself more than Koepka beat him.

What?

Koepka can likely look at all the bad breaks he got and lower his score as well. Koepka did beat him, this was not a case of Tiger losing it it was clearly Koepka winning it.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I never, ever, ever, thought I would see the level of golf from Tiger again that he's shown in the last two majors at the Open and now, especially, the PGA. It was like we were in the early 2000's again. The atmosphere, the shot making, the putting... absolutely miraculous stuff.

Hard not to feel like without the few simple mistakes, he really should have grabbed one of the last two and that will probably eat at him and just make him hungrier.

There is no way I don't forsee him winning at least one major next year with the way he's playing and the way some of those tracks set up for him. He's proven that he can do much more than hang with the young guys on tour... it's been a treat and such a pleasure to witness.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
What?

Koepka can likely look at all the bad breaks he got and lower his score as well. Koepka did beat him, this was not a case of Tiger losing it it was clearly Koepka winning it.

Don't agree. Tiger missed so many good opportunities yesterday and then that bad start on Thursday. Everyone has bad breaks in a week. But Tiger also didnt make a putt beyond 16 feet. Now tell me how many Koepka and the others in the top 10 made. This shows that Tiger hit a lot of quality approaches this week. I didnt even mention the 3 putt from 19 feet yesterday on 17. Tiger definitely left some strokes out there. You could look at how he played 17 the last two days as a prime example. Fairway, green, putt, putt, putt, 5. Today, rough near the hazzard, fairway, bunker, putt, 5. Neither of which are really good considering how the hole was playing but that hole alone over the weekend helped prevent him to get to -16.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->