Golf: 100th PGA Championship: August 9-12. Bellerive

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
St. Louis heat has killed the greens and it rained all day Tuesday and a lot yesterday. Kinda hard to control the weather and tough for grass to roll when it's soaked...

You complained that "the tee shots keep the players from having more than a couple scoring opportunities on the course" but are now complaining that the course is too easy and scores are low.

Plus, who really cares if PGA officials think their major is more important than the others? It's still going to be the 4th major and that's not going away. Either watch it or don't.

Bethpage Black
TPC Harding Park
Kiawah Island
Trump National
Oak Hill
Valhalla
Aronimink Golf Club
The Olympic Club
Baltusrol

There's your future courses.

I'm not looking for any trouble. I realize your area is hosting this event. Didn't mean to offend you. I'm sure the St. Louis area has some good courses. I just have not liked what I've seen here. Didn't like Quail Hollow last year either. Sorry to North Carolina residents, if they take offense. I'm not trying to do that. I'm giving my honest opinion.

As for the set up and scoring opportunities, you are blending two things that should be separated. At least from how this course has been set up this week, I think the Thursday set up was completely bland. From what you are putting in quotes, I'm not saying it was too hard. I'm saying that its very basic, boring golf. Not a lot of action either way, whether birdies or bogies. I prefer it much harder, but I can acknowledge that a lot of people prefer to see really low scores and a "shoot-out." type of event. The Friday set up was much easier. It made it somewhat more exciting, but I personally don't find that type of golf that enjoyable. You can correct me if I'm wrong since you were there, but it seems like there were a lot of middle of the green pins or easier ones compared to Thursday?

And I'm criticizing the organization more than the course. I'm sure you are right that the heat is effecting the greens, but did they not expect hot weather in St Louis in the summer? From what I've read and heard from the players, the greens were bad even before it rained. They were complaining about them early in the week. A change to May should help course conditions for upcoming PGA's. As for those upcoming venues, I do agree that most of those are decent venues. We'll see how the PGA rebrands with the change to May, and what changes are made to their Championship. They lag way behind the other majors in the present day.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I'm fine with that too

As long as its not Tiglet then I am happy to see anyone go low that is close to the top right now.

Although watching him go low to blow up tomorrow and have his loser fans get disappointed would be nice as well, although unbearable to listen to on the coverage.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
As long as its not Tiglet then I am happy to see anyone go low that is close to the top right now.

Although watching him go low to blow up tomorrow and have his loser fans get disappointed would be nice as well, although unbearable to listen to on the coverage.
Haters always gonna hate

Reactions: Dr John Carlson

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think it's fair to say it needs to be tougher @Pavel Buchnevich. I think E to -10 is a good score for an average major. Maybe with better course selection and conditions it will be.

Maybe golf is too traditionalist. How many of the recent PGA courses are new and have never hosted a PGA or big event before?

There are plenty of beautiful and challenging courses that could be played. Atleast the USGA is willing to try new courses, even if they butcher the setups.

I liked what I saw of Erin Hills, even if the set up was really bad. It was a boring event, but they can't know what'll happen when they pick the venue. Chambers Bay was another good venue and pretty entertaining. The greens were a problem, but they changed the greens already. I also liked the idea of going back to Merion. That was one of the best final rounds in recent memory. The course isn't like most courses you see the pros play nowadays, but its one of the real classic US Open venues. Good change of pace.

Bellerive has hosted two majors before, but neither since 1992. Quail Hollow was a new major venue, but it hosts a PGA Tour event every year. Never deserved a major. Don't know why it got one. If any regular tour venue that hasn't hosted a major deserves a major, its Muirfield Village. Atlanta Athletic Club had hosted three prior majors. Don't think its a major venue.

Kiawah was new, and I liked what I saw. There are some good regular PGA venues. Valhalla, Baltusrol, Oak Hill, Whistling Straits. The upcoming venues do look pretty good though. A lot of known good courses. The newer venues are Harding Park, Trump National and Aronimink. Harding Park gets great reviews and hosted the Matchplay a few years ago, we'll have to see about Trump National, Aronimink is another we'll have to see about. It hasn't hosted many big events, and no majors since 1962.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Koepka may just be in beast mode today. If he pulls off -15 or something he is not getting caught

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->