Golf: 100th PGA Championship: August 9-12. Bellerive

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I’m pretty sure Koepka’s gf isn’t sober. Either that or she is just bubbly a person by nature

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I never, ever, ever, thought I would see the level of golf from Tiger again that he's shown in the last two majors at the Open and now, especially, the PGA. It was like we were in the early 2000's again. The atmosphere, the shot making, the putting... absolutely miraculous stuff.

Hard not to feel like without the few simple mistakes, he really should have grabbed one of the last two and that will probably eat at him and just make him hungrier.

There is no way I don't forsee him winning at least one major next year with the way he's playing and the way some of those tracks set up for him. He's proven that he can do much more than hang with the young guys on tour... it's been a treat and such a pleasure to witness.

I thought at Carnouste he was okay but he didn't look anything like vintage Tiger. While he took that risk on that shot near the bunker, if he mae that mistake the old Tiger then made the putt after the next chip shot to save bogey. This week you saw him all over the place but scramble and make clutch saves to mostly keep the momentum going. Carnouste was a step in the right direction I won't disagree but this week was on another level. The only thing that stops him is these guys shooting so low. The players are wsy better than they were a decade ago. Before you had more elite players so to speak but now top to bottom you have better athletes. Most of the game now is the driver. Look at koepka. Guy was hitting bombs down the fairway like 330 yards. That takes so much of the game out of play.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Don't agree. Tiger missed so many good opportunities yesterday and then that bad start on Thursday. Everyone has bad breaks in a week. But Tiger also didnt make a putt beyond 16 feet. Now tell me how many Koepka and the others in the top 10 made. This shows that Tiger hit a lot of quality approaches this week. I didnt even mention the 3 putt from 19 feet yesterday on 17. Tiger definitely left some strokes out there. You could look at how he played 17 the last two days as a prime example. Fairway, green, putt, putt, putt, 5. Today, rough near the hazzard, fairway, bunker, putt, 5. Neither of which are really good considering how the hole was playing but that hole alone over the weekend helped prevent him to get to -16.

This is such crap.

Tigger didn't win because he missed putts. That is the game. Tigger didn't win because some of his putts were close. Ya no shit that is what happens. He had a hole that gave him. Ya that is what happens.

Again if you go through any golfer that was close 4 rounds and they can come up with similar things.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
There is no way I don't forsee him winning at least one major next year with the way he's playing and the way some of those tracks set up for him. He's proven that he can do much more than hang with the young guys on tour... it's been a treat and such a pleasure to witness.

Now we are obviously on the exact opposite ends when it comes to feelings towards Tigger but I just don't see it and certainly can't see how it is anything other than homerism to say you don't see him winning at least one.

This year when close he had two tournaments where everyone around him (outside of Koepka) was falling back on Sunday and he still couldn't take advantage. It is hard to imagine that is going to keep happening in the majors next year. Obviously he is getting older and already showing issue of age and injury trouble.

The two close calls seem to show that he is still talented but also show more that he won't win than he will. If he can't do it when everything breaks his way it is hard to imagine that he will when guys are playing well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do we still consider Rickie Fowler one considering he's done pretty much nothing in his career compared to Koepka?

Welcome back :nod:

How have you been in the last couple months? Seems like you've had a rough couple of summers in a row. Sorry about that.

And I never have considered Fowler a star. I call him the orange jumpsuit gimmick. Had a chance to win today, and played terrible. Didn't even get his patent T3/T4 finish to have the narrative that he was "close" to winning. :laugh:

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I think Tiger pretty much played himself onto the Ryder Cup team today. He also jumped up to #20 in the Fed Ex Cup standings which gives him a much better shot to make East Lake.

Just an absolute thrill watching him today. Sooooooo very close to pulling it off, save for the awfulness that was #17 and a couple oh so close birdie misses during the round.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Tiger is going to win another tournament, this made me change my mind. Of course that means it COULD be a major, but still saying he will never win another major.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Welcome back :nod:

How have you been in the last couple months? Seems like you've had a rough couple of summers in a row. Sorry about that.

And I never have considered Fowler a star. I call him the orange jumpsuit gimmick. Had a chance to win today, and played terrible. Didn't even get his patent T3/T4 finish to have the narrative that he was "close" to winning. :laugh:
Thanks, appreciate it. Been a rough go... mostly still trying to find some sense of normalcy. Bad days and good days, you know... but trying to get back into the swing of things.

And yeah, re: Fowler, you nailed it lol.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This is such crap.

Tigger didn't win because he missed putts. That is the game. Tigger didn't win because some of his putts were close. Ya no **** that is what happens. He had a hole that gave him. Ya that is what happens.

Again if you go through any golfer that was close 4 rounds and they can come up with similar things.

Still say he beat himself. If he made all the prime opportunities he had he wins by like 5. The last 3 rounds no doubt he was the best player in the tournament for sure. It was also the best final 54 rounds in his career atleast at a major. Sure, putting is a part of the gamebut odds are over time if you give yourself those chances you'll make more than you miss. Eventhough they all had bad shots it was one that cost him and this is not football, baseball or basketball. Theres no opponent blocking your shot or anything. The bad shot on 11 thursday was on him. Nobody else convinced him to shoot at that pin near water.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Tiger is going to win another tournament, this made me change my mind. Of course that means it COULD be a major, but still saying he will never win another major.

Depends on course. This was not a tough one or a hard setup. If he does it will have to be one he knows well like Pebble or Bethpage. This as far as most majors go wouldnt be classifoed as that hard of a test.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Now we are obviously on the exact opposite ends when it comes to feelings towards Tigger but I just don't see it and certainly can't see how it is anything other than homerism to say you don't see him winning at least one.

This year when close he had two tournaments where everyone around him (outside of Koepka) was falling back on Sunday and he still couldn't take advantage. It is hard to imagine that is going to keep happening in the majors next year. Obviously he is getting older and already showing issue of age and injury trouble.

The two close calls seem to show that he is still talented but also show more that he won't win than he will. If he can't do it when everything breaks his way it is hard to imagine that he will when guys are playing well.
The dude shot 64 today. He would have had to shoot 62 to get into a playoff, give me a break.

Reactions: Riggins

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The dude shot 64 today. He would have had to shoot 62 to get into a playoff, give me a break.

I don't really see what your point has to do with mine.

I said that the guys around Tigger all were falling back, although with this course it was more of them not taking advantage of the course where with the British they did fall back with + scores. The point being was it wasn't like someone went out and shot -8 under to beat him. As you say Tigger shot 64 and it still wasn't good enough. What are the chances that in the next 4-8 majors that nobody else goes crazy low.

Tigger had two major tournaments in a row where nobody, outside of Koepka who beat him pretty easily, played great and he couldn't capitalize. I doubt that happens that often going forward which makes it even tougher for him to win one, especially at his age/injury situation.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think Tiger pretty much played himself onto the Ryder Cup team today. He also jumped up to #20 in the Fed Ex Cup standings which gives him a much better shot to make East Lake.

Just an absolute thrill watching him today. Sooooooo very close to pulling it off, save for the awfulness that was #17 and a couple oh so close birdie misses during the round.
He’s #11 on the list behind Phil and DeChambeau.

He absolutely earned a spot on the team.

The real question is whether Furyk chooses DeChambeau over Matt Kuchar.

The Euro lineup looks weaker compared to years past.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I don't really see what your point has to do with mine.

I said that the guys around Tigger all were falling back, although with this course it was more of them not taking advantage of the course where with the British they did fall back with + scores. The point being was it wasn't like someone went out and shot -8 under to beat him. As you say Tigger shot 64 and it still wasn't good enough. What are the chances that in the next 4-8 majors that nobody else goes crazy low.

Tigger had two major tournaments in a row where nobody, outside of Koepka who beat him pretty easily, played great and he couldn't capitalize. I doubt that happens that often going forward which makes it even tougher for him to win one, especially at his age/injury situation.
You claimed he couldn't take advantage, he did take advantage, he beat everyone except Koepka. He would have had to shoot 62 on Sunday to get into a playoff.

He just contended in two straight majors after not playing golf for 2 years, if he stays healthy (big if) he will win at least one more major.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You claimed he couldn't take advantage, he did take advantage, he beat everyone except Koepka. He would have had to shoot 62 on Sunday to get into a playoff.

He just contended in two straight majors after not playing golf for 2 years, if he stays healthy (big if) he will win at least one more major.

He didn’t win though so he didn’t take advantage if we are talking about will he win another major.

I just can’t see, other than fandom, how anyone can see him play this year, know his age and injury history and say “he will win at least one.” I would say saying he might is a stretch but will? That is just fandom. He had two majors where everything broke right for him and he still couldn’t get it done. I can’t imagine that keeps up at the majors next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad