1000pt watch - Malkin 3 points away

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
just updated totals. He and the team have struggled a bit over the last couple weeks, but Malkin picked up 3 more assists in that time and is now 47 points aways from 1000.

other milestones being closed in on have been added to the bottom of the OP as well.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Barring serious injuries, Geno will likely go down as a top 15 player of all time imo.

He's still just 32 years old, and at the moment he's showing zero signs of slowing down any time soon.

As of November 2018, his resume already includes:
3 Stanley Cups
2009 Conn Smyth (also widely considered as one of the most dominant playoff performances of all time)
Hart MVP (including two other top 2 MVP finishes)
2 Art Rosses
Ted Lindsay
Calder Trophy
2009 Assists Leader
3 All-NHL First Team Selections
7 All Star Selections
50-goal season
3 100+ point seasons
Averaged over a PPG in 11 of his first 12 seasons
1.191 Career PPG (tied for 12th all time; he's top 10 after era adjustment)
2 WHCs + 2012 Tournament MVP
165 Playoff Points (already 20th all time)
1.044 Career Playoff PPG (22nd all time)
12 Playoff GWGs (tied for 20th all time)
Twice led the Playoffs in Scoring (2009 and 2017) - his team also won the cup on both occasions
Led League in PPG in 2012

He also accomplished all this while being the number two centre on his team for his whole career, as well as having several promising seasons unfortunately cut short due to various injuries.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Top 20 is quite high, even with a forward heavy top 20 (of say 13 of them) even harder with a more balanced 10-12 forward in the top 20,

Many of those 10:
Gretzky
Howe
Lemieux
Beliveau
Hull
Richard
Morenz
Mikita
Messier
Clarke

Are hard to get above, then you have Jagr/Sakic/Yzerman/Lafleur/Esposito/Trottier/Bossy

And the new competition Crosby, Ovechkin, McDavid that could be one by that time.

Because he missed a lot of game he only has been 4 time in the league top 10 scorer, Jagr/Crosby/Sakic/Esposito did it 10 time or more Ovechkin could achieve that also, that will probably hurt him quite a bit like for Forsberg.

His playoff resume could end up above average in the group fighting for those last place at least, but it is not like many of them do not have a really strong one.

Top 15 sound really hard, even if you push it with 10 forward in your top 15 (with just Orr, Hasek, Roy, Bourque, Harvey, you need to remove 4 in that list for him
Gretzky
Howe
Lemieux
Beliveau
Hull
Richard
Mikita
Messier
Clarke
Crosby
Ovechkin
Jagr
Morenz

The league will over 100 year's old when he will retire, having Lidstrom, Brodeur, Crosby, Ovechkin from the 25 year's before in the league history top players (maybe McDavid) will make it hard to squeeze many other names, he will be in those conversation for sure too and still many games to be played for things to change.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
no injuries, he will easily reach it. what is truly amazing is how many games he has played. truly a top 3 player of his generation, arguably the most talented.
806 GP sounds fairly pedestrian for an NHLer pushing 35? There are 60 active players that have more games played, though only 4 of them (Thornton, Ovechkin, Marleau, Crosby) have more points than Malkin. Interestingly, the NHL.com statistics also show Zetterberg and Hossa as active players :P

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
806 GP sounds fairly pedestrian for an NHLer pushing 35? There are 60 active players that have more games played, though only 4 of them (Thornton, Ovechkin, Marleau, Crosby) have more points than Malkin. Interestingly, the NHL.com statistics also show Zetterberg and Hossa as active players :P

I think the relatively low number of games played vs points scored may have been varank's point. Malkin, like Crosby, has been a remarkably consistent point-scorer despite missing quite a bit of time with serious injuries.

I wonder how many more 100 point seasons Geno would have had if he could have only stayed healthy for 80+ games. His play during his Art Ross season was a sight to behold...and he only played 75 games that year!

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
totals have been updated as of the All Star break, he's 2 assists away from 600 for his career, and 18 points to go to reach 100 with 34 games left to play this season.

Go Malkin go!

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
I find this to be a compelling conversation. Hadn't really heard of the game. I went to Galaga to try it out, and I got 2000 points before any of the little bugs tried to shoot anything at me.

These must be different games we're talking about.

Maybe the arcade version is harder?

strandvag

Feb 14, 2014
Stockholm/San Diego
Sometimes i rewatch the playoffs 09. Holy shit, he was unstoppable.

Right now, looks frustrated from time to time. Lost some speed and some of the turnovers in the neutral zone are just horrible.
Still probably one of the most exciting players in his prime. And when he is on. He is on.

Reactions: Casanova

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
God this makes me feel old

I know what you’re saying. I was in the stadium for his first goal in the NHL. Lucky enough to have saw Crosby’s first goal also. Sid the kid and Malkin have given us some fun over the years. 4 Cup finals with the last 3 of them wins.

Unfortunately I am old enough to have enjoyed Pens first Cup and was at playoff games for that.

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Sometimes i rewatch the playoffs 09. Holy ****, he was unstoppable.

Right now, looks frustrated from time to time. Lost some speed and some of the turnovers in the neutral zone are just horrible.
Still probably one of the most exciting players in his prime. And when he is on. He is on.
That hat trick against Carolina was unbelievable

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Update- 14 pts to go now to hit 1000.

Also, 16 goals to reach 400 on the career.

He’s played 835 games.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Malkin just celebrated his 1000th dirty hockey play.

"Er, in all honesty, the last two I backed over with my car. Luckily, they turned out to be hockey players." -Evgeni Malkin

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Totals updated as Malkin is steadily getting points again. Only 8 points to go! Also only a dozen more goals and he has 400 for his career.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
That's why I said "obvious omission." But equally ridiculous is the fact that somebody makes this reference in EVERY SINGLE MALKIN THREAD. Enough already! He was excluded. Wrongly so. Everybody agrees. Enough already.

The irony is that is the ONLY thing the silly top 100 thing is remembered for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->