1000 games played with the Habs

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
I don't start threads very often but this is actually something I like to check about every year and which I find very interesting.

In 98 NHL seasons, the Montréal Canadiens have had only five players who have played a thousand games for the team: H. Richard, Robinson, Gainey, Béliveau and Provost. This is, in my mind, perhaps one if not THE most important achievement for a Habs player. We've had many legends, but only very few of them have made it to a thousand games with us.

Why? Obviousy for most of our history players didn't play 80 games per season, which makes it even more remarkable for Richard and Provost. We've had a few legends who retired "young": Lafleur (came back with the Rangers), Lemaire, Savard (came back with the Jets), ... But many were traded and played their 1000th game elsewhere: Carbonneau, Harvey, Brisebois (left and came back), J.C. Tremblay (WHA), Koivu.

In contrast, for other O6 franchises:

Toronto: 5
Chicago: 4 (plus two others almost assured, Seabrook and Keith within two years)
New York: 3
Boston: 4 (plus Bergeron within two years)
Detroit: 6 (plus Zetterberg in 2-3 weeks)

It has been more than 30 years since another player joined the 1000-game club, so Markov's 1000th game next season will surely be celebrated by the team. It's almost hard to believe that if it wasn't for two lockouts and two season almost completely lost to injury he could have more than 200 more games played and be in the running for the most games played in Habs history.

So who will be the next to reach this milestone? Plekanec is an easy bet if he's not taken during the draft. And then? Last year I would have bet 100$ on Subban, but know I don't know. I think it's doubful that Pacs (the captain is always a target), Galchy (too streaky, will get traded before 1000 games) or Gally (injuries) make it. Who else? Danault could be a good soldier for a long time...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
David Desharnais will be signed this off season and will probably be the next to reach 1000 games.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
While it is nice to see happen, 1000 games with the same team, it is not the most important thing. The league didn't hit 70 games per season until the 60s and 80 games until the mid 70s.

The Habs have so many players that did play their whole career with the team but are not close to 1000 games because of the eras the played in.

Examples
Aurèle Joliette played all 16 seasons of his career with the Habs and totalled 655 games because he played during an era of 24 to 48 games per season.

Elmer Lach 14 seasons only with the Habs 664 games.

Of course the Rocket and his 18 seasons and 978 games so close!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad