100 videos on 2007 entry draft prospects here

Avy*

"Since this draft has no stand-out, so-called "Franchise" player, we would not be surprised if several teams at the top were willing to trade down (By the way, RLR believes that "Franchise" designation is the most overused, and abused, term in the scouting business. In our view, Vincent Lecavalier is the only true franchise player to be drafted in the last five years)."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columns/kyle907.htm

1 NY Islanders Rick DiPietro
2 Atlanta Dany Heatley
3 Minnesota Marian Gaborik

Sound similar?

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
I find it pretty laughable that CSB was not able to get a clip of Turris, the guy they claim to be the #1 North American prospect, getting at least one point. I'm mean I'm thankful and all for the clips even being provided...but lets be honest, Turris averaged 2 points a game and its CSB's job to go to these games. And its not like Burnaby is in Siberia.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
"Since this draft has no stand-out, so-called "Franchise" player, we would not be surprised if several teams at the top were willing to trade down (By the way, RLR believes that "Franchise" designation is the most overused, and abused, term in the scouting business. In our view, Vincent Lecavalier is the only true franchise player to be drafted in the last five years)."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columns/kyle907.htm

1 NY Islanders Rick DiPietro
2 Atlanta Dany Heatley
3 Minnesota Marian Gaborik

Sound similar?

Funny thing is that actually they weren't very wrong about this draft. Draft 2000 wasn't great, 12 players from the first round don't play regular in NHL right now.
The only stars from that draft are Heatley, Gaborik, Visnovsky, Lundqvist and DiPietro. Keep in mind that Visnovsky was 24 when he was drafted, so he doesn't belong to this generation.

Liles, Lombardi, Frolov, Volchenkov, Klesla, Hartnell, Shultz, Stoll, Vermette, Martin , some good overagers: Lilja, Wallin, Nummelin that's all actually.

Makmalkin89

Dec 31, 2006
Canada
watching the mayorov video and the korostin video i am baffled that mayorov is ranked higher. Korostin also played well at the u-18's while mayorov was injured. I dont see hoe mayorov is the second best russian prospect

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com
really? from the clip ive seen of James Van Riemsdyk, that guy did nothing. At least, Turris's video showed up being an offensive monster during a powerplay. It also showed his smooth skating side. JVR video nothing. He has no moves what so ever. Im in shocked that 100% of all American fans will chose him over Turris. JVR has 0 moves what so ever.

overall, im not impressed with any players based on those videos. Everyone sucks it seems like. Moller and Esposito seemed alright, but man, quite crapy actually.

The only ones that impressed me were Kane And Turris's video (towards the end when they are on powerplay)

I thought JVR at least showed hustle in his video. There is another one I saw of a game where he scored two goals on the same isolation video (I can't remember the link - it's somewhere at the Rangers board), so I'm surprised they didn't use that one.

I do agree that Turris looked good on the power play though..and it looks like he has a pretty good shot..maybe it was just the quality. But I agree, alot of these videos haven't exactly excited me for alot of these players. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd like to see a few guys turn out to be pleasant surprises.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I'm not sure if some of you have seen the '06 videos, but to be honest, they look quite similar... we KNOW the quality of this draft is weaker, at least that is the majority belief, so why would we expect these players to look like stars... apart from the top 5 of last year, these videos look very similar in talent to those of last year.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
I'm not sure if some of you have seen the '06 videos, but to be honest, they look quite similar... we KNOW the quality of this draft is weaker, at least that is the majority belief, so why would we expect these players to look like stars... apart from the top 5 of last year, these videos look very similar in talent to those of last year.

Jordan Staal looked very ordinary in his clip last year and we all know how that ended up.

danno2530

Aug 2, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
www.geocities.com

Yes. Thank you.

This video really shows his nice offensive touch - especially around the goal - and I think he is going to be a very good passer and rack up alot of assists.

Speaking of Turris, check out the video on that link. MUCH more impressive than the other one. This one focuses in on him more and shows his outstanding array of shots (especially the wrister and slapshot). This one I think is a much better example of the type of player I think he will be.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Yes. Thank you.

This video really shows his nice offensive touch - especially around the goal - and I think he is going to be a very good passer and rack up alot of assists.

Speaking of Turris, check out the video on that link. MUCH more impressive than the other one. This one focuses in on him more and shows his outstanding array of shots (especially the wrister and slapshot). This one I think is a much better example of the type of player I think he will be.

I agree with you on both counts. Both JVR and Turris look a heck of a lot better and more promising on the ISS videos.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Jordan Staal looked very ordinary in his clip last year and we all know how that ended up.

I remember thinking that about him last year too...just goes to show you how these videos can misrepresent a player

5 minutes does not a hockey player make

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005

Exactly. Good look, that's the sort of thing I'm trying to explain; it's really not worth overreacting about the level of the players in these videos.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
I'm not able to watch these videos.. :(

:help:

that sucks:(

i am not able to waych the videoes on the canucks site. i whent to my friends house today and it worked fine there. and i gave the link to another friend of mine and it worked for him too. i just dont understand why it wont work here:help:

-mball

Feb 4, 2007
Anybody know the link for Logan Macmillans highlights? Maybe another typo?

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
As far as the clips on defensemen...the video on McDonagh shows him mostly standing around. The only action about 2 minutes into the clip is a poke check by his teammate at the time, Tyler Kieffer (#22). Same can be said for the video of Tommy Cross, mostly standing around. Obviously these 2 videos were made on days these 2 players did not do much. Scouts must have seen more at other games to rank them so high.

The video on Petrecki, Shattenkirk and McKenzie show much more skill and what these players are capable of. Yet they are ranked lower.

Goes to show this scouting thing is such an "in the eye of the beholder" type of thing.

Depends what you mean. Yes, he stands around a lot, but he made very few (if any) mistakes in the clip and looked like he was definitely holding back and playing extra defensively. For a guy being billed as a safe, stay-at-home type defenseman I don't see what more you can ask for.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I notice every videos are from the same folder.....
If you want to see a prospect not listed on the web site,.. just change the url...

for example:

This url is the basic folder:
http://mfile.akamai.com/16532/wmv/nhl.download.akamai.com/16532/wm.nhl.na-central/comp/0607/draft07/

This is the video link of Kyle Turris:

http://mfile.akamai.com/16532/wmv/n...central/comp/0607/draft07/kyle_turris_700.asx

if you want to see Akim Aliu, you need to change the url:

http://mfile.akamai.com/16532/wmv/n...a-central/comp/0607/draft07/akim_aliu_700.asx

i've checked with several not-listed name, some works...some wont..

I just find out why some arent working.. the webmaster guy made some typo with files name , like :

jacub_voracek_700.asx ... should be jakub_voracek_700.as
keven_veillieux_700.asx ... should be keven_veilleux_700.asx

Can we see Logan MacMillan?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Damn, did Pat Kane have the flu, or something? The guy seems like 90% spectater in that clip. I know it's just one clip, and he couldn't have scored 60 goals in 50 games just standing around and watching like that. Too bad they couldn't use a different clip, though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
As someone else said, these are useless aside from getting a feel for the skating/size of players you aren't really familiar with. Trying to get a read on anything else from 5 shifts is pointless.

That said, I had no idea Nick Petrecki's skating was that dynamic. Not a player I'd ever really seen anything of, but wow ... his size/skating/physical play are pretty much NHL-calibre already.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As someone else said, these are useless aside from getting a feel for the skating/size of players you aren't really familiar with. Trying to get a read on anything else from 5 shifts is pointless.

That said, I had no idea Nick Petrecki's skating was that dynamic. Not a player I'd ever really seen anything of, but wow ... his size/skating/physical play are pretty much NHL-calibre already.

I don't think you'll find a better physical specimen in this year's draft than Nick Petrecki. His offensive upside can be questioned, but you're looking for a big man who can skate and will PUNISH the other team, he's your man. That being said, I don't have a real good handle on where he'll be drafted. I think he's a first rounder for sure, but I'm not sure if it's the top or bottom half of the round.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
ok i found a way to watch the videoes.

has anyone seen john muse. he is 88 born and was eiligible last year.

why is he ranked?? why is he considered to be drafted at all?? he is at the same level as 88 born goalies in norway!!!! he was without any doubt the worst goalie in those videoes and he is a year older then all of them.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
ok i found a way to watch the videoes.

has anyone seen john muse. he is 88 born and was eiligible last year.

why is he ranked?? why is he considered to be drafted at all?? he is at the same level as 88 born goalies in norway!!!! he was without any doubt the worst goalie in those videoes and he is a year older then all of them.

The only thing I know about him is that he's a BC recruit to replace Schneider...I guess you're saying I should be worried lol

AgentNaslund*

I thought JVR at least showed hustle in his video. There is another one I saw of a game where he scored two goals on the same isolation video (I can't remember the link - it's somewhere at the Rangers board), so I'm surprised they didn't use that one.

I do agree that Turris looked good on the power play though..and it looks like he has a pretty good shot..maybe it was just the quality. But I agree, alot of these videos haven't exactly excited me for alot of these players. I hope I'm wrong though, I'd like to see a few guys turn out to be pleasant surprises.

buddy... buddy... *** did you see in Turris's video? Not much. Why? The Cameria angle was horrible, if anything he was just husting out there as much as JVR's video was.... but llike what you said.... we cant judge a prospect on a 3 minute video. :)

obviously JVR is alot better then what I saw, and Turris is obviously better then that 3 minute video which was extremely hard to see because he wasnt close up with him....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad