Book Feature 100 Things Maple Leafs Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die, 2020 Re-Edition (Leonetti & Patskou)

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
100-things-jpg.379139

About the book
:

Whether you're a die-hard booster from the early days of Conn Smythe or a new supporter of Randy Carlyle, these are the 100 things all Maple Leaf fans need to know and do in their lifetime. Authors Michael Leonetti and Paul Patskou have collected every essential piece of Maple Leafs knowledge and trivia, as well as must-do activities, and ranked them, providing an entertaining and easy-to-follow checklist as you progress on your way to fan superstardom. From trivia on legendary players like Syl Apps, Turk Broda, Ted Kennedy, Dave Keon, Tim Horton, Darryl Sittler and Mats Sundin or famous comedic references on the Maple Leafs made in movies and television, to knowing the best places to catch a game, 100 Things Maple Leafs Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die is the ultimate resource guide for true fans of the Leafs.

This is an updated version from 5 years ago that brings the book up to date. There are several new stories and many other chapters have been revised. New entries include:
  • The Ultimate Road Trip
  • Worst Leaf Trades
  • Best Leaf Fighters
  • Best Maple Leaf Trades
  • Oddities at Leaf Games
  • Best Late Round Picks
  • Miscalculations by Leaf Management
  • Who Should Be Added to Legends Row
  • Is There a Goalie in the House?
  • Leaf Nation – Out of This World
  • Toronto Maple Leaf Fan Talks
  • Next Generation Game
  • The Barilko Puck
  • The Return of David Keon
  • Top 100 Maple Leafs
About the authors:

Michael Leonetti was the bestselling author of the children’s books, The Greatest Goal and My Leafs Sweater, as well as The Game We Knew: Hockey in the Fifties, and its companion volumes Hockey in the Sixties and Hockey in the Seventies. Unfortunately, Mike Leonetti passed away 4 years ago but his excellent work is still represented in this new version.

I, Paul Patskou, am a writer, researcher and video archivist and a contributing member of the Society for International Hockey Research. In 2008 I was the awarded of the Brian McFarlane Award for outstanding research. I live in Toronto and have been involved in several Leaf related books and documentaries and was the 'Historical Consultant' for 'Leafs TV'.

Order the new version of the book: https://www.amazon.com/Things-Maple-Leafs-Should-Before/dp/1629378372/

Reading extract:

9. Best Leaf Fighters – Pre-1970

Orland Kurtenbach – Cudworth, Saskatchewan – Best stand-up boxer in league – destroyed Terry Harper and others.
Fern Flaman – Dysart, Saskatchewan – Heavyweight champion of the 1950’s – beat them all – Fontinato, Howe – all the toughies.
Harry Watson – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – Not many wanted to mess with him after he broke Murray Henderson’s nose with one punch.
Bill Juzda – Winnipeg, Manitoba – Took on all comers – Maurice Richard, Ted Lindsay and beat Gordie Howe.
Reg Horner – Lyndon, Ontario – NHL’s ‘Bad Man’ leading the league in penalties for seven straight seasons – when angry, watch out – kayoed Eddie Shore.

Honourable Mention:
Bob Baun –
Lanigan, Saskatchewan

Best Leaf Fighters – Post-1970

Wendel Clark – Kelvington, Saskatchewan – Based on size and courage – the toughest – took on all the heavyweights and hurt people.
Tie Domi – Windsor, Ontario – Not the biggest fighter but could take a punch and return with haymakers that disabled many an opponent.
Tiger Williams – Weyburn, Saskatchewan – More of a grab and puncher, protected Sittler and McDonald and a fighter that opponents didn’t like to get in close with.
John Kordic – Edmonton, Alberta – Erratic personality scared opponents and his lefthanded punches hurt them.
Wade Belak – Saskatoon, Saskatchewan – Very effective enforcer and could play forward and defence.

Honourable Mention: Colton Orr, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Note: Of the 10 listed top fighters 8 are from Western Canada and 6 from the province of Saskatchewan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for joining us, or rather re-joining us: you already were a member of our forum but haven't around for a long time.

So this new edition that has come out last month is a pretty substantial revision of the original edition. Greg Oliver quoted you as saying the following: "I actually revised almost every story from the previous edition. In fact, I wanted to replace more with new stories. The publisher only asked for five new stories but I did several more." Were there any additions you felt particulary strong about and that you wanted to make very urgently?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Thanks for joining us, or rather re-joining us: you already were a member of our forum but haven't around for a long time.

So this new edition that has come out last month is a pretty substantial revision of the original edition. Greg Oliver quoted you as saying the following: "I actually revised almost every story from the previous edition. In fact, I wanted to replace more with new stories. The publisher only asked for five new stories but I did several more." Were there any additions you felt particulary strong about and that you wanted to make very urgently?

If there was something I considered urgent to include I would say the stories that dispel the myths like the Barilko puck, house goalies etc. True accounts of the Leafs awful 1967 expansion draft performance, the J.P. Parise game, Dave Keon's deal with the Leafs to come back and more have just not been written about previously or truthfully. That's what the book is about - "Things Leaf fans should know - but no one has told you." Someday, I'll find that 'Air Canada Trophy' for most valuable player in the 1967 playoffs that Terry Sawchuk won!

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
True accounts of the Leafs awful 1967 expansion draft performance

I wasn't aware of that. Would you say that's one of the starting points to explain why the franchise went from contender to not winning anything anymore?

I only have a vague idea of the team not being managed very well in general.

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
I wasn't aware of that. Would you say that's one of the starting points to explain why the franchise went from contender to not winning anything anymore?

I only have a vague idea of the team not being managed very well in general.

It was a combination of factors and too long to explain. Leafs had to protect older Rochester players because of an agreement after they sold the team. That meant they couldn't save younger prospects in the system. Punch Imlach couldn't make deals with the expansion teams because the Leafs didn't have the extra players to trade, as they sold them off. But the Leafs still had to 'fill' with those same players in the expansion draft. Confusing? Welcome to the world of Leafs' owners putting profit over the well being of the organization.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It was a combination of factors and too long to explain.

Well, it seems to me like you just managed to come up with a succint summary:

Welcome to the world of Leafs' owners putting profit over the well being of the organization.

I guess the way Dave Keon was treated is another example of this?

ClassicHockey

May 22, 2005
Well, it seems to me like you just managed to come up with a succint summary:

I guess the way Dave Keon was treated is another example of this?
Partly, but with Harold Ballard running the team it was more than a money problem because of his erratic behaviour. Also to blame was the succeeding owners and management for not properly retiring the sweaters. Listening to the excuses from Leafs management you would think it would be a disaster to the franchise if they allowed that. We can't have players wear high numbers! Dave Keon saw the stupidity and held firm. They finally retired the sweater numbers, Keon came back - and there was nothing bad about it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->