100 Greatest NHL players

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooch*

tom_servo said:
I don't think it was ever clear what happened. Quinn's charges were dropped.

Amen. Or who was involved if anyone. Or Picard fleeing Lafleurs car. All unproven.
Not quite like the Dougie thing.

chooch*

Ogopogo said:
You should admit to your obvious French-Canadian bias.

I didnt know Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Bryan Trottier, Bobby Clarke, Phil Esposito, Bob Gainey etc were french-canadian. I do know they never asked for a bodyguard.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chooch said:
Let me guess, you and drMoses take the bus together.

Is this supposed to be funny or something?

Sorry kid, your wit is as keen as your intelligence. Almost sharp enough to cut through pudding.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:
I didnt know Bobby Orr, Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Bryan Trottier, Bobby Clarke, Phil Esposito, Bob Gainey etc were french-canadian. I do know they never asked for a bodyguard.

Bobby Clarke never asked for a bodyguard????

Well since he already had about a dozen, I guess he wouldn`t need to ask for anymore.

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:

Last time I checked, the function of a goon in the NHL was to fight instead of having the stars fight and risk injury. What do you think the goons on Wayne's teams did?

You have no clue about this sport anyway as you've proven time and time again so I won't expect an intelligent answer from you...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
For the record, Clarke needed a bodyguard. In fact, the Flyers top enforcer has complained that it used to bother him that he had to fight so many of Clarke's battles for him because Bobby would piss a lot of guys off but back down from fights.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chooch said:

Come on, did you really expect chooch to have absolutely any clue what he was talking about? Me neither. You can pretty much bank on anything he says to be the complete opposite of reality. He comes from Bizarro world where common sense, reason and facts don't exist.

chooch*

DrMoses said:
Last time I checked, the function of a goon in the NHL was to fight instead of having the stars fight and risk injury. What do you think the goons on Wayne's teams did?

You have no clue about this sport anyway as you've proven time and time again so I won't expect an intelligent answer from you...

You also know pudding about hockey.

Bobby Orr was a fierce fighter (as was Howe); I recall in the 72 finals Orr and Park going at it in a vicious fight at MSG. And then later in the game Orr bursting through the Ranger defence to score a brilliant goal.

Since you and JCD know your goons, who was Orr's protector? Howe's? Messiers?
Lafleurs? Hulls?

got your bus fare?

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chooch said:
You also know pudding about hockey.

Bobby Orr was a fierce fighter (as was Howe); I recall in the 72 finals Orr and Park going at it in a vicious fight at MSG. And then later in the game Orr bursting through the Ranger defence to score a brilliant goal.

Since you and JCD know your goons, who was Orr's protector? Howe's? Messiers?
Lafleurs? Hulls?

got your bus fare?

Still attempting to be funny? You seem a bit slow on the uptake so we can make this real clear: it isn't working.

I noticed you removed Clarke from your list, could it be because you were full of crap (again)?

As for Messier, wasn't he on that same goon-laden squad as Gretzky? Wouldn't he be protected by them as well? Messier would rarely drop the gloves for himself, especially after he left the Oilers. He would typically let Wells/Domi/Kypreos clean up his mess.

Besides, how does having a goon on your team make you less of a player? Gretzky was 5'10 and 160 pounds. To think he should be out there fighting is just plain stupid. Especially when he was so effective as a scorer. It makes no sense, but that is what we come to expect from you: sheer and utter lunacy.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Every player has his role.

When a superstar fights a goon from the other squad it's extremely dumb because his team needs him on the ice and not on the penalty box. Goons love it when stars get pissed off and drop the gloves.

Blaming a star player for not dropping the gloves is dumb, IMO. The Oilers needed Gretzky to score point and counted on him in important situations. If he would cave in to personal frustration and drop the gloves he would have been acting very selfishly because he'd deprive his own team of their best player for 5 minutes. That's what goons are for.

KariyaIsGod*

JCD said:
Still attempting to be funny? You seem a bit slow on the uptake so we can make this real clear: it isn't working.

I noticed you removed Clarke from your list, could it be because you were full of crap (again)?

As for Messier, wasn't he on that same goon-laden squad as Gretzky? Wouldn't he be protected by them as well? Messier would rarely drop the gloves for himself, especially after he left the Oilers. He would typically let Wells/Domi/Kypreos clean up his mess.

Besides, how does having a goon on your team make you less of a player? Gretzky was 5'10 and 160 pounds. To think he should be out there fighting is just plain stupid. Especially when he was so effective as a scorer. It makes no sense, but that is what we come to expect from you: sheer and utter lunacy.

Exactly, but Chooch doesn't know much about common sense or hockey... He's made that apparent to everyone recently.

Not being a fighter doesn't make someone any less of a player unless that's their role. Especially in Wayne's case, ti'd be a waste to have the greatest player of all-time in the box for 5 minutes instead of Semenko...

chooch*

JCD said:

who said anything about fighting? do I have to explain everything slowly to you two?
Its about toughness - afterall this is hockey not womens hockey. Its about not needing protection because you can handle yourself.

Yes, I dropped Clarke and I also dropped Trottier and Gainey. And I added some names - so what? As usual let me dumb things down for you two.

Clarke was one tough sob - as were Messier and trottier and Gainey.
He did try and goad players into fights and he was successful a lot. But why dont you look up his penalty totals - well over a hundred in the same years he's scoring 100 points. One Tough centreman. No bodyguards required even tho he's not that big of a guy. Over a thousand penalty munites in his career.

You think Messier needed protection? You're right - YOU are the comedian.
With his elbows and glare and willingness to bang (and I dont mean Madonna, DrMoses), no one messed with Messier. Well over a hundred minutes a year, over a thousand penalty minutes.

The point someone made that star players shoudlnt fight is corect but thats not the issue here - only one guy needed so much protection that the bodyguard had to skate on the same line all the time.

Take Lafleur - same size as 99 but he took fierce pounding from Milbury and boston defence; if you ever meet him check out his eyebrows. And the wicked cut on the lip Milbury gave him in Game 4 of the 77 finals.

In game 2 of the 77 finals, he got into an altercation with Milbury and afterwards Cherry and the Bruins threatened to "get" Guy when the series moved back to Boston next game. Well, here's how Guy responded - he scored or assisted on all Montreal goals in the two games in Boston. Sweep.

A hell of a lot different than whooping it up by scoring late in the game against a weak western team with your bodyguard hanging around.

I could go on with trottier and Gainey stories (anyone remember the check on Don Maloney in Game 4 of the 79 finals at MSG where gainey knocked him off the puck and scored on JD?)

But all I ask you again is: who were the bodyguards for Orr, Howe, Hull, Lafleur, Gainey, Clarke, Trottier, Gainey (is that the complete list?)

btw; JCD what the hell is "badmitten"? :biglaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Question who was important enough to warrant bodyguard protection? I'd guess having the best player ever would make you want to ensure some hack doesn't take him out.

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
chooch said:
who said anything about fighting? do I have to explain everything slowly to you two?
Its about toughness - afterall this is hockey not womens hockey. Its about not needing protection because you can handle yourself.

Yes, I dropped Clarke and I also dropped Trottier and Gainey. And I added some names - so what? As usual let me dumb things down for you two.

He did try and goad players into fights and he was successful a lot. But why dont you look up his penalty totals - well over a hundred in the same years he's scoring 100 points. One Tough centreman. No bodyguards required even tho he's not that big of a guy. Over a thousand penalty munites in his career.

With his elbows and glare and willingness to bang (and I dont mean Madonna, DrMoses), no one messed with Messier. Well over a hundred minutes a year, over a thousand penalty minutes.

The point someone made that star players shoudlnt fight is corect but thats not the issue here - only one guy needed so much protection that the bodyguard had to skate on the same line all the time.

Take Lafleur - same size as 99 but he took fierce pounding from Milbury and boston defence; if you ever meet him check out his eyebrows. And the wicked cut on the lip Milbury gave him in Game 4 of the 77 finals.

In game 2 of the 77 finals, he got into an altercation with Milbury and afterwards Cherry and the Bruins threatened to "get" Guy when the series moved back to Boston next game. Well, here's how Guy responded - he scored or assisted on all Montreal goals in the two games in Boston. Sweep.

A hell of a lot different than whooping it up by scoring late in the game against a weak western team with your bodyguard hanging around.

I could go on with trottier and Gainey stories (anyone remember the check on Don Maloney in Game 4 of the 79 finals at MSG where gainey knocked him off the puck and scored on JD?)

But all I ask you again is: who were the bodyguards for Orr, Howe, Hull, Lafleur, Gainey, Clarke, Trottier, Gainey (is that the complete list?)

Clarke didn't have a bodyguard? Talking with a Flyers fan kid. Dave Schultz. Look up his career. Guess what his job was? Best of his generation and might be the best of all-time.

Clueless as always. Kudos. I used to think it was just act, now I am scared it is not.

chooch. A term synonymous with ignorant. Congrats, you make even KL look wise and rational.

Now, run along and play. The grown ups want to talk hockey.

chooch*

JCD said:
Clarke didn't have a bodyguard? Talking with a Flyers fan kid. Dave Schultz. Look up his career. Guess what his job was? Best of his generation and might be the best of all-time.

hilarious!

You never saw a Broadstreet Bullies game did you? Here's a clue: they werent called the Broadstreet Bodyguards.

Anyway - answer the question which you refuse to answer because you 're afraid it'll tell you something about 99.

KOVALEV10*

chooch said:

Completely agree and just wanted to add that Gretz never won a finals by himself like Guy in 77. Despite one of the toughest checking by the Bruins on Guy, Lafleur was in on all of the habs goals in the 3 final games of the finals where of course we swept the bruins and won the cup.

Give it to em chooch!

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Wouldn't you guys think that Gretzky's offensive talent could maybe make up for his "lack of toughness"? You don't have to get 100 penalty minutes per season to be a great player when you can score 200 points a year

KariyaIsGod*

chooch said:

Super...

Who cares? Naturally the coach wants to protect his assets and Wayne was exactly that. Why not skate them on the line together sometimes?

Fact is, anybody could go after Wayne if they wanted but they'd need to catch him first and they'd then need to deal with Semenko.. If they were tough enough, they could do it...

In the end though, Gretzky wasn't a fighter and never tried to be. He played his game. You seem to have this idiotic idea that it made him less of a player but that's just your own personal bias talking...

Your stories mean nothing at all... Your opinion on Wayne means nothing at all and most of all when you make totally inaccurate claims, it makes your posts meaningless.

He didn't "whoop it up" late in the game. He dominated the games from start to finish. I suppose it's hard for you to understand a game you never even saw though.

Don't worry, I knwo you'll make some crack about how you did see it... Well, you obviously weren't watching the same game as everybody else...

KariyaIsGod*

KOVALEV10 said:
Completely agree and just wanted to add that Gretz never won a finals by himself like Guy in 77. Despite one of the toughest checking by the Bruins on Guy, Lafleur was in on all of the habs goals in the 3 final games of the finals where of course we swept the bruins and won the cup.

Give it to em chooch!

Yes. Wayne NEVER dominated a finals...

And the greatest hockey team ever assembled had nothing to do with Guy's cups.. He was alone...

You and Chooch are honestly becoming jokes with this crap...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Any list of the Best 100 hockey players of all time had better have Gainey and Carbonneau. If you want a list of the best 100 goal scorers then say so. But there's no way those two aren't top 100 hockey players, and not near the botttom of the list either.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
chooch said:

In the seven years that they were teammates, Gretzky was on the ice for 2,294 of Edmonton`s goals. Semenko was on the ice for 270. If they played on the same line all the time please explain how that would be possible. Wouldn`t their +/- have to be identical if they were always on the ice at the same time?

JCD

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
DrMoses said:
Yes. Wayne NEVER dominated a finals...

And the greatest hockey team ever assembled had nothing to do with Guy's cups.. He was alone...

You and Chooch are honestly becoming jokes with this crap...

Becoming? I think we are WAY beyond that point.

Those two have been pimping guy and ragging on Gretzky for a few months now and we are STILL waiting for their first rational point. I get this mental image of these two sitting in a fort together staring at pictures of guy, b1tching about Gretzky and pining over Darla together. The Guy-man Gretzky-haters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad