100 flex/85 flex stick problem

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
Here's my problem. I bought two nike bauer one pro 102 flex sticks and ended up cutting quite a lot off and it turned out to be 108 flex. It seems much too stiff for me, I weigh 176 lbs. Although I'm quite strong, I read that the flex should be half your body weight... 90 flex for me then.

So, should I buy a cheap 85 flex stick, that'll turn out to be 95-98 after cutting it, to see if a lower flex is ok, or should I buy a top of the notch composite stick (S17, U+, RBK) right away for 350 or so swiss francs?

If I like the cheap 85 flex stick, I'll of course buy a better stick so I don't really know what to do....

Suggestions?

They say that you should be able to flex it 1 inch or so without any force, I need to use quite a bit.

Last edited:

CanadaBacon

#SavetheGoons
Mar 15, 2009
Hamilton
Here's my problem. I bought two nike bauer one pro 102 flex sticks and ended up cutting quite a lot off and it turned out to be 108 flex. It seems much too stiff for me, I weigh 176 lbs. Although I'm quite strong, I read that the flex should be half your body weight... 90 flex for me then.

So, should I buy a cheap 85 flex stick, that'll turn out to be 95-98 after cutting it, to see if a lower flex is ok, or should I buy a top of the notch composite stick (S17, U+, RBK) right away for 350 or so swiss francs?

If I like the cheap 85 flex stick, I'll of course buy a better stick so I don't really know what to do....

Suggestions?

They say that you should be able to flex it 1 inch or so without any force, I need to use quite a bit.

Trying playing with it.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Try flexing it against the ground. The hand at the middle of the shaft should be able to generate some flex without too much effort.

Stick flex is largely determined by preferece. I'd prefer a stick that was a little too stiff (especially if I was anticipating some weight gain) than a stick that is too soft.

A whippy stick can make it difficult to receive/dish out passes, and absolutely kill your shooting accuracy while you're busy adjusting.

I don't know if I could recommend buying a cheap-o stick to test on, unless you planned to eventually keep that stick as a backup. It seems like a bit of a waste. I'd recommend determining your optimal flex (even if you have to do it in store) before dropping any kind of money.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
I bought a easton sc 6 100 flex sakic for 179 swiss francs. I dunno if I should cut it and try it or return it because it seems awfully like my 102 nike/bauer one pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00