10 Years ago today...

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
they made a big mistake playing Bergeron over Tarnstrom though

A poster in another thread demonstrated how, for years, Lowe was able to acquire decent dmen (Smith, Staois), setting the table for a misguided belief that it would always be thus.

However, at some point the environment changed. 2nd pairing Dmen became very valuable and were locked up be teams, as well as their top pairing guys. Suddenly, the organization's neglect of Dcorp has come back to haunt them. It sunk the first rebuild and stands to sink the second if they don't start taking it seriously.

If you can't get 2 great dmen, you need 4 good dmen. A quality 2nd pairing dman is more valuable and needed than a 2 line winger, that gets u 20-25goals, but not much else.

Until the Oilers come to grips with this, we are hooped.
True.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
A poster in another thread demonstrated how, for years, Lowe was able to acquire decent dmen (Smith, Staois), setting the table for a misguided belief that it would always be thus.

Not to nitpick, but Sather found Jason Smith. Smith and Smyth were the leadership heart of the team most of the time Lowe was running the show. He never was able to replace their leadership after they got old and moved on, not even close. That was one of the big downfalls of our team over the last decade IMO. The lack of value put on good veterans, and the inability of Lowe and Tambo to find good vets to guide our young players. We actually started to give the finger to vets under Tambo, like they should just be greatful to be along for the ride with our new young kids that were going to lead us to glory. Such a terrible misunderstanding of how a successful team is built and a winning culture can be cultivated.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not to nitpick, but Sather found Jason Smith. Smith and Smyth were the leadership heart of the team most of the time Lowe was running the show. He never was able to replace their leadership after they got old and moved on, not even close. That was one of the big downfalls of our team over the last decade IMO. The lack of value put on good veterans, and the inability of Lowe and Tambo to find good vets to guide our young players. We actually started to give the finger to vets under Tambo, like they should just be greatful to be along for the ride with our new young kids that were going to lead us to glory. Such a terrible misunderstanding of how a successful team is built and a winning culture can be cultivated.

After what happened with Pronger and then Heatley and Hossa, this organization made the decision not to go after veteran players at all. I still remember Tambellini telling everybody that this team was just going to grow its own talent from now on. After getting burned so often trying to acquire free agents, I could understand the sentiment. I could just never understand how they were going to make it work. players need positive guidance from good vets to develop. Not only did it not happen here, it was a conscious decision made by the organization for it to not happen here.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
After what happened with Pronger and then Heatley and Hossa, this organization made the decision not to go after veteran players at all. I still remember Tambellini telling everybody that this team was just going to grow its own talent from now on. After getting burned so often trying to acquire free agents, I could understand the sentiment. I could just never understand how they were going to make it work. players need positive guidance from good vets to develop. Not only did it not happen here, it was a conscious decision made by the organization for it to not happen here.

therein lies the fatal flaw of Tambo and MacT and company....never getting good character vets to show Hall, Eberle, and Nuge how its done in the NHL

management thought that throwing the young kids to the wolves was a good idea and that they'll learn and "figure it out" on their own as they get older

ZERO leadership from management and ZERO leadership on the ice

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Yeah, and the other big flaw was thinking they had to go after every big name UFA. Lots of the guys they failed to get, in retrospect, would have been terrible here. There are other ways to get good players, specifically via trades. Lowe hired and kept the wrong man to be GM to be able to make effective trades. The UFA's don't want to come here excuse wasn't a free pass to just suck at every other aspect of being an NHL POHO and GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad