10 years ago: the 2009-10 season

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Half those games missed were from suspension because he was a dirty and dangerous player. Guys were challenging him to fight all year, but I guess he only drops them against teens he knows he can manhandle.

giphy.gif

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Lies? Did Ovechkin taunt Halak? Yes

Was it the end of the Capitals playing run and gun hockey under Boudreau? Yes

Did Ovechkin and Backstrom get caught floating in the neutral zone on numerous GWG against? Yes

Game 1:

Game 7:

In the first example Ovechkin was going for a change.
And I'm not sure that hustle would have been sufficient to prevent the second. He tried to block the puck off the glass and it was half a field away already.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I remember Ovechkin taunted Halak as being scared of the Capitals halfway through the series. That was a tough lesson to learn.

It was also the end of Boudreau's run and gun era of hockey. Too many goals, including a few game winners, were scored by the Habs while Backstrom and Ovechkin floated at center and/or made poor changes.
I don’t recall remember OV taunting Halak.

I do remember the blue line being absolute trash and shaky goaltending.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Jaroslav Halak single-handedly eliminating both Washington and Pittsburgh making both Ovechkin and Crosby his bitch.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As a Flyers fan, the season was just f***ing wild. Danny Briere turned into a god in the playoffs (30 POINTS!). The comeback against Boston was miraculous. The ending was extremely painful and it still haunts me.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I remember it quite vividly, as a Flyers fan.

The Flyers came into that season looking absolutely incredible--that roster, if you recall, was stacked everywhere. Pronger/Timonen/Coburn/Carle was an incredible top 4. Richards/Carter were in their prime, Briere still a monster, Hartnell and Gagne effective, and some second-year guy named Giroux was showing flashes. Emery in net, whatever.

And then they played like shit and Emery went down with his knee condition. Stevens fired, we all cheered, Laviolette in, great...but it took a while and a lot of goalies to get it fired up.

When they started on their run in March and looked like they were going to make it to the playoffs, I kinda had a vision: I was walking down Forbes Ave in Pittsburgh and thought to myself "Holy shit, this team could win the Cup!" I don't know why, but it just kinda struck me--even with Leighton/Boucher as the goalie tandem, it was crazy enough that it would work (in fact, it was so crazy that I thought it had to work, and I had the same feeling when Foles took the reins for the Eagles late in their Super Bowl season. I'm a savant). And I told people about it and no one believed me. They were still in about 10th at that time.

The shootout win on the final day of that season to get the playoff spot...that was my brithday and it was beautiful. Never lost faith in the team even when they were down 3-0 to Boston, actually was able to see my first ever home playoff game because people sold off their tickets for game 4.

I truly believed they were going to win the thing to the very end. It was an extremely enjoyable run, the most fun I've had as a hockey fan/Flyers fan. And that swagger from the team kinda carried over to me, it was infectious. Even though they came up short, that-never die confidence and all the joy of the run kinda changed my whole mental outlook at the time. I went back to college in the fall and within three weeks I was dating the hottest girl who'd ever spoken to me. I'm not kidding when I say that wouldn't have happened if the Flyers lost that shootout.

Hockey rules, thanks for reading my diary.

Last edited:

illpucks

May 26, 2011
@MrSnrub why leave out Lindsay trophy? Ovi won that, was robbed of all three of the Hart, and Art Ross and Rocket because of a suspension. He had 124 point pace and 57 goal and ~70 assist pace.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

It was an amazing year as Hawk fan

Never experienced joy of Hawks being champion and since then got to enjoy it twice more

Made all the awful years and Bill Wirtz fade away into back of memory

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
From what I recall 2010 was the last year penalties were actually called. Obstruction crept back in after and went into full swing in 2012.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Thanks for the look back. That was an Olympic year as well and Crosby's Golden Goal. Also the 1st year I went to see a hockey game. Anaheim/Edmonton in March 2010.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
Ovechkin god paced season and what I thought was his peak, and probably was. He was still as fast as ever, deadly as ever, hard hitting as ever.

Halak- I watched every game. Have we seen a better post season? Maybe maybe not.

Hawks- Big Buff playing forward and the Hawks having an awesome roster and winning that first cup was cool.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Why? They had no defense to speak of. They weren't going far.

2010 wasn't (as) bad... we got Corvo at the deadline and we had a young John Carlson who gave us some much needed depth. It was something like:

Schultz-Green
Poti-Carlson
Morrison-Corvo

Either way the 2010 Caps were better than the 2010 Flyers.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
The Flyers beating the Rangers in the final game of the season by a shootout to get the last place in the East. If the Rangers had won, they would have made the playoffs instead.

One of my favourite seasons. The playoffs were overall great.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->