10 years ago: the 2009-10 season

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
On the eve of another NHL season, let's turn back the clock ten years.

Division winners: Chicago (Central), San Jose (Pacific), Vancouver (Northwest), Buffalo (Northeast), New Jersey (Atlantic), Washington (Southeast)

President's Trophy: Washington Capitals (54-15-13, 121p)

Awards
MVP - Henrik Sedin, Canucks
Art Ross - Henrik Sedin, Canucks (29G-83A-112P)
Richard - Sidney Crosby, Penguins / Steven Stamkos, Lightning (51G)
Calder - Tyler Myers, Sabres (11G-37A-48p)
Norris - Duncan Keith, Blackhawks (14G-55A-69P)
Vezina - Ryan Miller, Sabres (41W, 2.22 GAA, .929Sv%)
Selke - Pavel Datsyuk, Red Wings
Adams - Dave Tippett, Coyotes

Stanley Cup Final
Chicago Blackhawks 4-2 Philadelphia Flyers
Conn Smythe - Jonathan Toews, Blackhawks

GettyImages-101937331.jpg

What are your memories of this season? How'd your team do?

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Despite how good they usually are, the Penguins were actually pretty bad this year and only Sidney Crosby got them in the playoffs. Malkin had his first Mr. Hyde year, Gonchar was never the same after his injury the year before, Letang hadn't progressed into a #1 yet... points go Crosby 109, Malkin 77. Gonchar 50. It was a surprisingly Tavares-like year for Sid.

Then the playoffs happen, the Pens actually draw some pretty kind matchups, but then they get Halak'd in the second round and thus 09 is the only Pens Cup win that isn't back to back.

Reactions: BHD

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As a Habs fan, 2010 was one helluva playoffs! Their Cinderella story as they Halak'd over Washington and Pittsburgh was a blast to watch, plus it transformed my wife into a hardcore hockey fan. She's never recovered.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Ah, yes. The single most disappointing season in Blue Jackets history, thanks to Mason's abrupt collapse after his stellar rookie year... that is, until 2012 and The Former #7 happened.

Reactions: Jill Sandwich

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Despite 09-10 being Crosby's best goal-scoring year, I think I speak for most Pens fans when I say I remember one thing - and one thing only - about this season.

Jaroslav Halak.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
The 09-10 season had 4 players cross the 100 point mark(Sedin, Ovi, Crosby, Backstrom). The NHL wouldn’t see multiple 100 point players in a season again until the 17-18 season(McDavid, Giroux, Kucherov).

Il Stugotz

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2008
44 miles from Chicago
Ovechkin had 50 goals while missing 10 games, could have 9 rockets now o_O (Sid and Stammer both played 80+ games IIRC)

Half those games missed were from suspension because he was a dirty and dangerous player. Guys were challenging him to fight all year, but I guess he only drops them against teens he knows he can manhandle.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
First things to come to mind league-wide:

- Ryan Miller
- Canada at the Olympics
- Crosby vs. Toews rhetoric

Bruins specific:

- Bergeron rounding back into form
- Rask emerging to replace Thomas
- The blown 3-0 leads of course

Reactions: HabsQC

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
i liked 09-10. capitals—prime ovechkin, backstrom, semin, green—were insanely fun to watch. crosby scored 50—seemed like there was no limit to how good he would get—and so did stamkos, emerging as an elite goalscorer after a weird rookie year. great playoff storylines with halak taking down a succession of goliaths, pronger with another signature run, and of course the blackhawks as the deepest, most well-rounded team of the 2010s. & of course the classic anti-climax to cap it all off. great year. 2011 was good too and then it was downhill for a while imo (tho the cup-winners were always impressive & deserving).

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Hawks winning made it the best season of hockey in my lifetime.

Great first round series with the Predators. Thank you, by the way, Martin Erat.

Always fun to beat the Canucks. Then swept the Sharks. Big Buff became a legend in that series. Todd McLellan took it quite well and he's became a favourite coach of mine ever since.

Game 1 of the Cup final was totally insane. Back and forth action.

Kane's Cup winning goal was the stuff of legends. One of the great historical goals of the league. Linesman stealing the puck afterwards made it all the more memorable.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad