10 of the last 12 Cup Finals started out 2-0

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The chances that a series starts of 2-0 are 67%. It's statistically more likely than a 1-1 split going into game 3, I have literally no idea what that has to do with parity.

False. It's 50/50. There are four ways for the first two games to go: H/H, H/A, A/H, AA. Two of them are 1-1.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
At the start of the year, who did you predict as the final 4? I doubt you predicted any right except Pens. Now look at the NBA. Of course there's parity.

To put it in simpler terms. We were a bounce in a double OT game from seeing a Sens-Preds final. Anyone who argues that there's no parity either doesn't understand what the word means or wants to be edgy.

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
At the start of the year, who did you predict as the final 4? I doubt you predicted any right except Pens. Now look at the NBA. Of course there's parity.

It's not really good parity if one team (Anaheim and to a lesser extent Ottawa) has an extremely easy bracket.

San Jose and Tampa Bay's injuries aren't that different from OKC's injuries.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
It's not really good parity if one team (Anaheim and to a lesser extent Ottawa) has an extremely easy bracket.

San Jose and Tampa Bay's injuries aren't that different from OKC's injuries.

Sounds like something the Warriors or Cavs would say.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean the first two games are almost always played within 3 days and you are talking two teams that have only played twice that year and never gameplanned for the other one...its always hard to really overhaul something in one day... it makes sense that save for the era when everyone was equal because it was tackle hockey, most of the time you probably take two games to figure out how to effectively counter what another team does well against you...

Zarzh

Jun 30, 2015
Sounds like something the Warriors or Cavs would say.

Well they're the 1 and 2 seeds. The Warriors are just better then everyone, they swept an injured 62 win team, and their first 2 opponents. The East is weak but the Cavs still beat a 53 win team in 5 and swept a 51 win team.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
and yet people still try to pretend the nhl has parity

Except there is parity.

Since the lockout there have been 8 different ECF's and 7 different WCF's. That's in 11 seasons not including this year.

I'd say that is okay. 72% and 63% difference. More parity in the Conference Finals too

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
False. It's 50/50. There are four ways for the first two games to go: H/H, H/A, A/H, AA. Two of them are 1-1.

But the order the games are won in don't matter do they? I think if you look at it like this you have the possibility after 2 games of being 2-0 1-1 or 0-2 that's how i thought of it. Also obviously a hockey game isn't a coin flip but there is a tonne of randomness in hockey especially in just a two game sample size so I was just pointing out that it's more likely to be 2-0 than 1-1.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
But the order the games are won in don't matter do they? I think if you look at it like this you have the possibility after 2 games of being 2-0 1-1 or 0-2 that's how i thought of it. Also obviously a hockey game isn't a coin flip but there is a tonne of randomness in hockey especially in just a two game sample size so I was just pointing out that it's more likely to be 2-0 than 1-1.

From a statistical point of view, it does matter that there are two 'ways' to get the 1-1 result. Yes.

For the same reason, if you have two kids, the likelihood of them both being the same sex is 50%, not 66.7%.

It's actually about 55%, or was as of a few years ago (because hockey games are not actually coin flips as it turns out).

Indeed. That's the difference between theory and practice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad