OT: 10 Legendary Bob Cole Moments

EmperorPenguin

Jun 11, 2010
It wasn't until this years playoffs that I really started to notice just how much Bob Cole has lost it. He's just not very good anymore. I noticed a handful of times where he was fumbling his words and naming the wrong players and getting all kinds of information wrong during the course of a game. I know he's over 80 years old and I don't know if he has any sort of health issues but his play by play has been pretty awful as of late. Jim Hughson on the other hand is top notch.

reset

Puck Luck
Oct 5, 2005
South Bay
Yah, what a pathetic call. That series was one of the most epic 7 game series in NHL history and the call for the series clincher (Game freaking 7!!) was so anticlimatic. ZZZZ.

bob cole was a great play by play man years ago. Not anymore. He needs to hang up the mic and take his walker to Fla.

but i do have to say say hes still miles better than "screech" emrick

Last edited:

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
The guy is revered for what he sounded like 20 years ago. He should have retired several years back.

I heard that call after game 7 - bar none the worst game 7 OT winner call I've ever heard. I can't believe Rogers hired him to continue next year for them.

Kenny Albert by contrast was a treat to listen to that series, and Emricks Cup Winning call was fabulous. No complaints with NBC in round 3 and 4. Canada got jobbed.

takk

Feb 19, 2013
Warszawa
Yes, his call of game 7 ot goal was underwhelming, but the guy was a treat to listen. I enjoyed them more than anyone during the playoffs, his voice was sweet and make it worthwhile to stay up and watch the games.

Plus he had a romantic tone during games which was probably due to possibility of retirement right after conference finals e.g. "Toews knows he must win this faceoff" (though Stoll or Kopi won it, hehe).

Long story short, the guy is still amazing at what he's doing. Glad he's back. He's similar to our Bob Miller. Anyone who prefers Hughson over him needs a headcheck.

For Nbc Kenny Albert did a decent job. But Forslund is the best guy they have but they don't let him do anymore games after conf. semi's.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
He is still better than Doc Emrick. Then again I'd rather have it on mute than listen to his chalkboard screeching voice.

KingsFan1988

May 14, 2014
I usually just read and play the background. But I just had to post a comment on this as it was one of the things that really ticked me off during the Kings fantastic and exciting run to the cup this year.

Bob Cole is nothing more then a "Homer" he homers for The Leafs and if they are out (Every year) then he Homers for whatever Canadian teams are left and if they are all out then he Homers for any Original Six team left in the playoffs.

Every time the Hawks had the puck in this series he was almost ******* in his pants. I couldn't stand the excitement in his voice every time he said "Chicago" (CHI...CA....GOOOO)

Compare Kane scoring the go ahead goal in game 6 to the Series winner by Alec Martinez:

Even his Game 5 Overtime call:

MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH :cry:, And you guys think Brian Heyward is a HOMER

Last edited:

Ron*

I usually just read and play the background. But I just had to post a comment on this as it was one of the things that really ticked me off during the Kings fantastic and exciting run to the cup this year.

Bob Cole is nothing more then a "Homer" he homers for The Leafs and if they are out (Every year) then he Homers for whatever Canadian teams are left and if they are all out then he Homers for any Original Six team left in the playoffs.

Every time the Hawks had the puck in this series he was almost ******* in his pants. I couldn't stand the excitement in his voice every time he said "Chicago" (CHI...CA....GOOOO)

Compare Kane scoring the go ahead goal in game 6 to the Series winner by Alec Martinez:

Even his Game 5 Overtime call:

MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH :cry:, And you guys think Brian Heyward is a HOMER

Fixed.

Just the point I was trying to make. What an a-hole. **** him, I hope the Kings take the next five Cups shut that a-hole up for good.

reset

Puck Luck
Oct 5, 2005
South Bay
Ron, anger mgmt bro
I just started ;)

I think this yrs playoff tipped me over the edge
and it doesn't help that hfboards gets me even more riled up, esp the main boards

thank god for this forum

Last edited:
Count me as a person that isn't offended in the least and I'll also say that I've always like his voice. He should probably retire and that call is pretty bad but a lot of the things people are complaining about with him are things that could be said of Bob Miller. Bob Miller screws up names quite a bit. It used to be players with similar numbers and has gotten pretty bad some games. He kept calling somebody (Williams?) Muzzin for 2 or 3 games in a row last season.

Ron*

Count me as a person that isn't offended in the least and I'll also say that I've always like his voice. He should probably retire and that call is pretty bad but a lot of the things people are complaining about with him are things that could be said of Bob Miller. Bob Miller screws up names quite a bit. It used to be players with similar numbers and has gotten pretty bad some games. He kept calling somebody (Williams?) Muzzin for 2 or 3 games in a row last season.

I don't care about the screw-ups, that comes with age and I understand it completely.

It's the favoritism that riles me up. I expect Bob and Jim to show some favoritism since they are local broadcasters for the Kings (even then, I see them as being professional) but as a national broadcaster you have to be impartial, even if deep inside you want one team over another (everyone, and I mean everyone, will always pick one team over another).

Be professional about it, and call the game evenly. That's all I'm saying. I can't point to one other national guy who is so obvious about it.

Dawdler

Run to the Hills!!
Aug 2, 2005
What am I missing here? What's wrong with his call? :dunno:

he is not showing the enthusiasm for the Kings goals as he does for the Blackhawks and the rest of the NHL.

it is a bit noticeable if you're looking for it but whatever, the Kings are still SC Champs :yo:

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
Hughson may be better, but Bob Cole just has that voice. Although due to lots of NHL video games I can't listen to Hughson anymore so I'm kinda impartial in that way. I'll always put a HNIC game with Cole on over Hughson.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
10 Legendary Bob Cole Moments
This guy ****ing sucks. He is just plain terrible. Get a load of this piece-of-**** call:
This guy needs to retire.

And now you understand why I watched most of that game with the TV on mute. He's brutally bad. I understand screwing up names every now and again (although Cole throws out names of retired players), but most of the time he has no freakin' clue what has just happened on the ice.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Ron = Walter Sobchak

WalterSobchak.png

I wonder if Ron rolls on Shomer Shobbas?

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
10 Legendary Bob Cole Moments
This guy ****ing sucks. He is just plain terrible. Get a load of this piece-of-**** call:

Can the guy sound more bored?

Compare that to game 5, where "the crowd goes crazy." This guy needs to retire.

I had a quick look at the "top 10" list and noticed nothing from the 80's when Bob was on top of his game. He was pretty good in the 90's as well but the last several years it has been hard to listen to at various times.

Another goal from our Cup run I could over and over again, no matter who calls it but props to the Kenny Albert call.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->