10 easy steps to getting it right this time!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
1) 60% linkage CBA for all player costs // results in all sides being stakeholders and is the only guaranteed method that can and will serve the players, owners and FANS FAIRLY AND properly

2) Streamline and customise goalie equipment according to size of each goalie. Leave the nets as is. 11" pads, 1/3 less blocker and glove size, reduced jersey and upper body equipment all to be measured and tagged by NHL management prior to use. We might just see the return of those fabulous glove saves we once saw every game.

3) Goalie sticks to be straight (no curve at all) eliminates high outlets off the glass and goalie clearing passes. Will also cause the goalies to caugh up the puck on occasion leading to scoring chances off transition

4) Tag up offsides allowed

5) No touch icing to prevent injuries (refs to wave off any icing that they deem was a legitimate attempted pass) This will speed up the game

6) Refs to call more penalty shots but coach has the right to choose a full 2 minute power play and decline the penalty shot

7) Increase the AHL blue and red lines to 3 ft. but use lighter shade of paint with dark border (this will increase size of all 3 zones)

8) Leave the goaline where it is but only allow 1 defensive player behind the goaline at any one time (this will lead to scoring chances off the forcheck and odd man attacks on transition when offensive players are caught deep in the offensive zone) this will also help get rid off man to man smothering defensive zone coverages and interference. Will lead to some creative ways to play in the offensive zone as well as on transition to odd man attacks

9) Allow players to curve their sticks anyway they want

10) 4 of 4 overtime for 5 minutes and if still tied 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes. If still tied each team gets one point. Give 3 pts. for regulation win and 2 for overtime win to provide incentive to score in regulation rather than playing boring trap hockey hoping to get a guaranteed point in the 3 rd period like we see so often

Put together a Competition Committee that represents management, coaches, players, refs and most importantly the FANS when it comes to tweaking the game for the enjoyment of all

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You don't want to add a three point line?

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
eye said:
1) 60% linkage CBA for all player costs // results in all sides being stakeholders and is the only guaranteed method that can and will serve the players, owners and FANS FAIRLY AND properly

2) Streamline and customise goalie equipment according to size of each goalie. Leave the nets as is. 11" pads, 1/3 less blocker and glove size, reduced jersey and upper body equipment all to be measured and tagged by NHL management prior to use. We might just see the return of those fabulous glove saves we once saw every game.

3) Goalie sticks to be straight (no curve at all) eliminates high outlets off the glass and goalie clearing passes. Will also cause the goalies to caugh up the puck on occasion leading to scoring chances off transition

4) Tag up offsides allowed

5) No touch icing to prevent injuries (refs to wave off any icing that they deem was a legitimate attempted pass) This will speed up the game

6) Refs to call more penalty shots but coach has the right to choose a full 2 minute power play and decline the penalty shot

7) Increase the AHL blue and red lines to 3 ft. but use lighter shade of paint with dark border (this will increase size of all 3 zones)

8) Leave the goaline where it is but only allow 1 defensive player behind the goaline at any one time (this will lead to scoring chances off the forcheck and odd man attacks on transition when offensive players are caught deep in the offensive zone) this will also help get rid off man to man smothering defensive zone coverages and interference. Will lead to some creative ways to play in the offensive zone as well as on transition to odd man attacks

9) Allow players to curve their sticks anyway they want

10) 4 of 4 overtime for 5 minutes and if still tied 3 on 3 for another 5 minutes. If still tied each team gets one point. Give 3 pts. for regulation win and 2 for overtime win to provide incentive to score in regulation rather than playing boring trap hockey hoping to get a guaranteed point in the 3 rd period like we see so often

Put together a Competition Committee that represents management, coaches, players, refs and most importantly the FANS when it comes to tweaking the game for the enjoyment of all
sorry - no ties - shoot out wins - i think thats already a given -

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
eye said:
Great contribution to this thread. Why bother? :clap: :clap:

Why not? It's just as valid or idiotic as calling more penalty shots.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
mr gib said:
sorry - no ties - shoot out wins - i think thats already a given -

I have seen enough shootouts to have actually changed my mind on it's merit and excitement. I originally liked it but it grew old after seeing about 6 of them. I don't like the thought of settling the outcome of a NHL game with a skills competition. Hometown fans go home very disappointed after losing a game on a skills competition that takes place on bad ice. Most OT games will be settled 4 on 4 if followed by 3 on 3 and I am willing to wager that 3 on 3 would be the most exciting 5 minutes in professional sports. I do agree that refs should call more penalty shots when quality goal scoring chances are negated by any type of penalty. I also think it would add to the game if coaches could decline the penalty shot in favor of taking the full 2 minute power play. The coach can make his decision based on the player being awarded the penalty shot vs. the success rate of his pp. Could make for some dramatic and interesting decisions in the game.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Getting it right? that's a strech. There really isnt much cosmetically about the game that is so severely flawed. Just set your rule-clocks back to 1991 and we'll have scoring back in no time.

X0ssbar

This is something really minor but I'd love to see the NHL go back to the original Conference/Division names - Campbell, Wales, etc.

Economic models aside - the NHL trying to model other leagues such as the NBA have not worked so I'd like to see them get back some of its history and former identity and this is one way to start down that path.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
If you really want some sort of controlled plays to determine the outcome of a tied game while removing as much of the "skills competition" feel as possible, would the following be feasible?

Each team gets 5 rushes on goal.

In each rush, you have 4 players for the attacking side and 3 players for the defending side (not including goalkeepers for both sides). Maybe add some rules about a certain number of each side having to be forwards and defensemen.

Each rush continues until the goalie makes a save and hangs on, the puck goes out of play, a goal is scored, the puck is cleared from the offensive zone (i.e. shot or sliding out without being carried by any player), or some other infraction that would normally be called occurs.

Rebounds can be scored upon.

Counterattack is possible by the defending team ONLY if the puck is carried out of the defensive zone off a rebound or giveaway. The same rules apply for the counterattack as they would for the initial attack by the other team, except that there can be no "counterattack to a counterattack." These should not drag out the rushes because with 3 players on the defending side it is difficult to setup a play -- I think it is more likely a counterattack would be a quick odd-man rush.

The team with the highest score after the 5 rushes by both sides wins the game. If the game is still tied, you move to sudden death rushes where the first team to score and keep their opponent from scoring on the subsequent rush wins.

You can even toy around with the idea of a lacrosse-style shot clock on each rush, but I don't think that's really hockey (and to clarify: I don't really think the above is hockey either, but it's a suggestion).

Comments? Criticisms? Personally I think keeping the idea of a 4-on-4 OT is fine, and I'm rather indifferent to the idea of shootouts.

EDIT: I realized that the defending team could just take a penalty and end the rush. Maybe something along the lines of defender penalties that end one rush mean on the next rush they are allowed one less player.

Last edited:

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
Top Shelf said:
This is something really minor but I'd love to see the NHL go back to the original Conference/Division names - Campbell, Wales, etc.

Economic models aside - the NHL trying to model other leagues such as the NBA have not worked so I'd like to see them get back some of its history and former identity and this is one way to start down that path.

I agree. The old division conference names are not going to stop someone from watching hockey, and it may encourage people to look at the history a bit more.

As for improving the game, how about dictating that every player dressed for the game must play a minimum of 10 minutes. If you want to dress a goon that can't play, it will cost you. If you have a young player, the only way he can develop is with playing time. The team may lose a bit as the player learns but he may help the team more later due to the additional playing time. Substantial penalties should be put in place for failing to meet the minimum playing time and doing things like faking an injury to avoid playing someone.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
eye said:
I have seen enough shootouts to have actually changed my mind on it's merit and excitement. I originally liked it but it grew old after seeing about 6 of them. I don't like the thought of settling the outcome of a NHL game with a skills competition. Hometown fans go home very disappointed after losing a game on a skills competition that takes place on bad ice. Most OT games will be settled 4 on 4 if followed by 3 on 3 and I am willing to wager that 3 on 3 would be the most exciting 5 minutes in professional sports. I do agree that refs should call more penalty shots when quality goal scoring chances are negated by any type of penalty. I also think it would add to the game if coaches could decline the penalty shot in favor of taking the full 2 minute power play. The coach can make his decision based on the player being awarded the penalty shot vs. the success rate of his pp. Could make for some dramatic and interesting decisions in the game.
i agree with you - lets face it the powers that be have already decided - dunno about the penalty shot idea though

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Thanks, but no thanks.. I'd rather see a 1-0 game with great goaltending and chances than a 10-8 game. The ADD generation really needs to get some help. One change is all thats needed. Get rid of the trap.

SENSible1*

shakes said:
Thanks, but no thanks.. I'd rather see a 1-0 game with great goaltending and chances than a 10-8 game. The ADD generation really needs to get some help. One change is all thats needed. Get rid of the trap.

How should the NHL "get rid of the trap?"

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Thunderstruck said:
How should the NHL "get rid of the trap?"
good question - i've thought about it a lot - lacrosse and b ball the game moves a bit faster so an easy change of posession can be facilitated - my idea was you have to have two forcheckers in the zone the whole time the defense has the puck - once the puck comes out over the blue line the two guys are free to leave the zone - pick up their men - as for what happens if you don't - i dunno - its too radical to call a penalty and in hockey you don't have those fast changes like soccer too - you know like a zone in b ball - they just blow the whistle and give the other team the ball - that wouldn't work in hockey -

sorry that is kinda scattered - if anyone have anymore ideas concerning banning the trap and what penalty a team would get for using it - post something -

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
The proposed larger neutral zone and tag-up offsides will do a lot to remove "trapping" because there will be room for the attacker to move.

Nothing drastic needs to be done to make the game better . . . call the rules is the single best way to “improve†the game (oh and move goal lines back to ten feet)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't think you need to get rid of the trap with any new rules. I think that if you can clean the obstruction out of the game and allow players to skate and move with more freedom, they'd be able to force the forecheck more often and just naturally break the trap. Personally, I don't mind a low scoring game as long as there is a lot of action, and just allowing players to move a bit again would go a long way towards making those 2-1 games seem far more exciting.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
djhn579 said:
I agree. The old division conference names are not going to stop someone from watching hockey, and it may encourage people to look at the history a bit more.

That's my one real criticism of Bettman. You don't hide the history of your game when that's one of strongest suits, you build off it.

eye said:
I have seen enough shootouts to have actually changed my mind on it's merit and excitement. I originally liked it but it grew old after seeing about 6 of them. I don't like the thought of settling the outcome of a NHL game with a skills competition. Hometown fans go home very disappointed after losing a game on a skills competition that takes place on bad ice.

Yup. I really don't see fans clamouring for the shootout. A lot will say "Ok", when asked about it, but they're already hockey fans. It's going to have no affect on bringing in new fans. And once they see their team lose numerous games this way, the support will quickly wane.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Top Shelf said:

This would be good for next year to help the South prop itself back up by scattering a few teams in with other divisions and such.

Maybe incoprorate a division switch for teams of each conference based on individual records to help mix up the teams. Before the bashing comes, keep in mind this isnt tiering the NHL, but rather organizing the divisions much like the NCAA does its clustering to decipher who plays who and how long the series will be during the regular season

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
mr gib said:
good question - i've thought about it a lot - lacrosse and b ball the game moves a bit faster so an easy change of posession can be facilitated - my idea was you have to have two forcheckers in the zone the whole time the defense has the puck - once the puck comes out over the blue line the two guys are free to leave the zone - pick up their men - as for what happens if you don't - i dunno - its too radical to call a penalty and in hockey you don't have those fast changes like soccer too - you know like a zone in b ball - they just blow the whistle and give the other team the ball - that wouldn't work in hockey -

sorry that is kinda scattered - if anyone have anymore ideas concerning banning the trap and what penalty a team would get for using it - post something -

Sorta like an offsides penalty in reverse? I think something like that could work. You'd want to really test it out to see what sort of effect it had, of course.

You don't need to hook, hold, or obstruct to trap. Blocking passing lanes is enough. The guy attacking the puck carrier doesn't have to break any rules... he can just be a forechecker like in any other system. Calling the rules more tightly will make it harder for some players to play a trap, but it won't make the trap impossible to set up.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Top Shelf said:

Hate to break it to you young whippersnappers - the "original" division/conference names - Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe, Campbell, PoW, etc only go back to '74-'75, far from original.

Before that there was just the Eastern Conference and Western Conference, and before that, there was just the "The Original Six".

The conference & division names were cool and different, but they were around for less than 20 yrs ('74-`93).

I'll stop now, before I have to tell you how I had to skate to school barefoot, and it was up hill both ways, ...

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
kdb209 said:
I had to skate to school barefoot, and it was up hill both ways, ...

My God, I hope you now cut your toenails regularly. :eek:

X0ssbar

kdb209 said:
Hate to break it to you young whippersnappers - the "original" division/conference names - Adams, Patrick, Norris, Smythe, Campbell, PoW, etc only go back to '74-'75, far from original.

Before that there was just the Eastern Conference and Western Conference, and before that, there was just the "The Original Six".

The conference & division names were cool and different, but they were around for less than 20 yrs ('74-`93).

I'll stop now, before I have to tell you how I had to skate to school barefoot, and it was up hill both ways, ...

Well, okay then.. lets jump on board the DeLorean and go back to 74-75.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->