10 Best Goalie Prospects?

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
It doesn't. Really hate his playing style, it's awkward and won't suit the NHL game imo. Overrated talent, I'm glad we got rid of him.

Sounds like a totally objective opinion :sarcasm:

Let's clear the air... goalies that play awkward styles usually don't fit into the NHL game. Ahem... Hasek, Thomas... I'm looking at you.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
Sounds like a totally objective opinion :sarcasm:

Let's clear the air... goalies that play awkward styles usually don't fit into the NHL game. Ahem... Hasek, Thomas... I'm looking at you.

Hmmm...Florida Panthers fans throwing him under the bus because he was traded. Chicago fans praising him because he was traded to the Hawks. Predictable.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I actually agree. Don't know why FLA fans feel the need to throw him under the bus now. Something tells me they would still be praising him if he was till a Panther prospect...

There are a lot of Panthers fans who never thought that highly of Salak, me being one of them. You can check my posts from a year ago, I was just as suspicious of his long term potential then as I am now. Goalies like Thomas and Hasek are the very rare exception. It is hard enough to stick in the NHL as a goalie when you have great fundamentals. The odds of a goalie with horrible technique having long term success in the NHL are slim to none, and slim's suitcases are already packed.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yeah, but regardless of being a backup in Brynnas that year it was obviously good enough to earn a full time gig in North America. That right there shows how good he played despite a small sample size.

well.. not really. Weiman was signed to be the starter for the Moose last year, Lack was considered a "maybe" for the backup role. The Canucks took a flyer on Lack, but by training camp it was obvious they had gotten something really good.

May be easy to dismiss him as a one season wonder, if you've never seen him play. But he has all the tools to be a star - big, fast, positionally strong, and cool as a cucumber. Though he may not have the pedigree, if we're ranking potential he's easily top 5.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
well.. not really. Weiman was signed to be the starter for the Moose last year, Lack was considered a "maybe" for the backup role. The Canucks took a flyer on Lack, but by training camp it was obvious they had gotten something really good.

May be easy to dismiss him as a one season wonder, if you've never seen him play. But he has all the tools to be a star - big, fast, positionally strong, and cool as a cucumber. Though he may not have the pedigree, if we're ranking potential he's easily top 5.

What are you talking about? Who's calling him a one year wonder...surely not me...I was defending him by saying that he's had two very good years in a row when someone else said he only had one.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Chances are some goalie that nobody knows about except fans of that team will jump out of nowhere to be a better goalie then most players making these top 10 lists(see Lundqvist or Rinne who both came into the NHL with little or no fanfare)

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
What are you talking about? Who's calling him a one year wonder...surely not me...I was defending him by saying that he's had two very good years in a row when someone else said he only had one.

whoa settle down cowboy, the first part was a response to your post, the rest was general rumination.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Chances are some goalie that nobody knows about except fans of that team will jump out of nowhere to be a better goalie then most players making these top 10 lists(see Lundqvist or Rinne who both came into the NHL with little or no fanfare)

Don't know if you meant when they were drafted, but when Lundqvist finally signed his NHL contract it was with the expectation he was gonna be a star right away.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Don't know if you meant when they were drafted, but when Lundqvist finally signed his NHL contract it was with the expectation he was gonna be a star right away.

But was he expected to be a star when he was 21/22ish?

I just went back to Hockey Futures top 50 from 2004 and guys like Emery, Montoya, Toivonen, Niittymaki, Schwarz, Drouin-Deslauriers and Lehtonen were all top 50 while Lundqvist was nowhere to be seen(it should be noted Miller, Bryzgalov and Fleury were also on the list) and this would be 4 years after Lundy was drafted.

Lundy did make the 2004/05 post season list though at 27(even then he was behind Lehtonen, Fleury and Toivonen)

Last edited:

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
But was he expected to be a star when he was 21/22ish?

Yes, definitely. At that time, he had two consecutive starting gigs for Sweden at the WJC and a solid season in the SEL finishing off with a second playoff run with what was at the time the biggest club in Sweden. It was just when he was playing in juniors he wasn't that highly touted.

PantherStriker

Jul 31, 2010
Speaking as a Flyers fan, we were pretty excited over Joacim Ericsson (Who Holmgren didnt resign in favor of Hoivinen). I'm surprised to see he doesnt rank in the Top 100. Can anyone shed some light on to why he dropped so low? His potential was supposed to be very high, not just from Flyer fans

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Speaking as a Flyers fan, we were pretty excited over Joacim Ericsson (Who Holmgren didnt resign in favor of Hoivinen). I'm surprised to see he doesnt rank in the Top 100. Can anyone shed some light on to why he dropped so low? His potential was supposed to be very high, not just from Flyer fans

He's 50th in the June ranking from the The Goalie Guild. He didn't really get a lot of quality starts with a veteran goalie in front of him, but I think he's quite underrated. He'll be a starter in the SEL soon enough and go from there in trying to re-establish his NHL chances.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Absolutely no one knows more than the Goalie Guild. It's his passion and he backs it up with solid analysis, so yes, that particular list is worth ready - and it has Lack at 11.

Lack is really at 10 since I'm not sure how Lindback is a 'prospect' when he's already spent a full 20+ game season as an NHL backup.

But in any case, that list is really suspect.

Alex Stalock at #7? Compared to Lack, the guy is a year older, 4 inches shorter, and was absolutely blown away statistically by Lack in the AHL last season.

There's no way guys like Stalock, Halak, and a guy who couldn't stop a beachball in the OHL last year should be ahead of a monster like Lack who utterly dominated in the AHL behind a terrible team. A guy like Enroth doesn't stand up too well either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad