10 Best Goalie Prospects?

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
how is Eddie Lack not in the conversation is beyond me!

in his rookie season takes the starting role from AHL regular Tyler Weiman and finishes a top 5 goalie stats wise in the AHL for goalies playing 41+ games. 7th best if its by AHL standards. 3rd best rookie goalie but the stats for the top 3 are close

In the playoffs he steps his game up even more to become 4th best goalie and the only reason the Moose made it as far as they did. best rookie goalie in the playoffs and besides Lehner, no other rookie goalie came close to his stats

He should be a top 3 goalie in the AHL next season

My list would be:
Jacob Markstrom
Braden Holtby
Jack Campbell
Jake Allen
Robin Lehner
Jhonas Enroth
Eddie Lack
Richard Bachman
Ben Scrivens
Matt Hackett

Schneider, Lindback, Remier to me are ineligible since they have secured 20+ games as backups or starters in the NHL

Last edited:

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
If anyone reading this thread has not yet been to http://thegoalieguild.com/
stop reading, open a new tab, and check it out...

No discussion of prospect goalies can be thoroughly undertaken without at least some reference to the content of that site...

Excellent...

Bueller

Jul 9, 2011
In the playoffs he steps his game up even more to become 4th best goalie and the only reason the Moose made it as far as they did. best rookie goalie in the playoffs and besides Lehner, no other rookie goalie came close to his stats

Not debating Lack's merits, but when the MVP of the playoffs was another rookie goalie, you can't really call him the best rookie goalie in the playoffs.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not debating Lack's merits, but when the MVP of the playoffs was another rookie goalie, you can't really call him the best rookie goalie in the playoffs.

MVP is only given to a player on a team in the finals and to me its debatable if Lack had a better team around him that could make it to the finals that he could have gotten MVP. But nonetheless Lehner won it and deservedly so

But just to show how Manitoba had a weak team in terms of depth, half their team were rookies! they had 10 rookies on their team playing the majority of the season! of which 7 were playing significant roles (including Lack).

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
I hate to sound negative and really contribute nothing to the debate, but this thread will be good for an absolute laugh in the future. Goaltending prospects are fickle. The world is filled with 'good' goalies, but there are very few consistently 'great' ones.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Can somebody make a case for Bachman or Scrivens over Brad Thiessen?

I'm not saying he should necessarily make this list, I'm just curious.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If Eddie Lack plays like he did last season in the AHL, he should definitely be on the list.
53 GP, 2.26 GAA, .926 SV% in the regular season.
12 GP, 1.99 GAA, .932 SV% in the playoffs.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
It doesn't. Really hate his playing style, it's awkward and won't suit the NHL game imo. Overrated talent, I'm glad we got rid of him.

No offence but i think i'll trust the opinion of the guys over at the goalie guild vs yours.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

I may sound like a homer but I think Calvin Pickard is underrated. He did some incredible things on his own in Seattle last year... if he was on a powerhouse team like Kelowna or Saskatoon he would have been talked about much much much more.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It does my heart good to see Holtby at #2 on the Goalie Guild list.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
To be fair he first made it to North America after a solid year in Sweden in 2009-2010.

Fair enough then. I have never heard of him before this year.

But he only played 14 games in 09/10 in Sweden. Not a huge sample size.

He's also a little older than most of the other guys.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Fair enough then. I have never heard of him before this year.

But he only played 14 games in 09/10 in Sweden. Not a huge sample size.

He's also a little older than most of the other guys.

Yeah, but regardless of being a backup in Brynnas that year it was obviously good enough to earn a full time gig in North America. That right there shows how good he played despite a small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad