10 Best Goalie Prospects?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think Markstrom is certainly the top prospect at this point.

What puts Markstrom ahead of Lehner at this point? Pedigree alone?

I'm not saying you're wrong, in the world of prospects, there are always things universally agreed on - and Markstrom being the number one goalie prospect is something I've heard a lot of, but at the same time, Lehner winning the Calder Cup MVP as a teenager has to mean something. Not to mention that he's the first player to do it since Price and Roy, which is cool enough as is.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
What puts Markstrom ahead of Lehner at this point? Pedigree alone?

I'm not saying you're wrong, in the world of prospects, there are always things universally agreed on - and Markstrom being the number one goalie prospect is something I've heard a lot of, but at the same time, Lehner winning the Calder Cup MVP as a teenager has to mean something. Not to mention that he's the first player to do it since Price and Roy, which is cool enough as is.

Well team strength, different environments, etc. have to be taken into account as well. You can't judge these guys in a vacuum. I'm not saying Lehner can't be the top goalie prospect, but just because he was Calder Cup MVP doesn't automatically make him the best out there. Stats and awards are nice but they don't show the whole picture.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
The only thing that was terrible was Campbell's last season.

That's goalies for you. Even the ones with the most pedigree tend to suck every once in a while. He'll still be a great goalie and get a ton of chances to prove himself at all levels (self fulfilling prophecy?).

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well team strength, different environments, etc. have to be taken into account as well. You can't judge these guys in a vacuum. I'm not saying Lehner can't be the top goalie prospect, but just because he was Calder Cup MVP doesn't automatically make him the best out there. Stats and awards are nice but they don't show the whole picture.

That goes on top of him leading the Greyhounds to a playoff spot the year before - when they really shouldn't have been in one. Then his up and down like a yo-yo year where he looked admirable in the NHL, but couldn't stick. Then usurping Barry Brust as the B-Sens' AHL goalie down 3-1 in the first series, never to look back.

He was already being talked about, and he raised his stock exponentially while Markstrom didn't. I guess in the long run it doesn't matter a hill of beans, but I'm curious why he's not in the top spot is all.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That's goalies for you. Even the ones with the most pedigree tend to suck every once in a while. He'll still be a great goalie and get a ton of chances to prove himself at all levels (self fulfilling prophecy?).

I do realize he has great potential, and I loved his performance at the WJC in 2010. But he had an atrocious season and only one year removed from being drafted, he simply hasn't proven enough yet at this point for me to put him in my top 10. There are lots of good young goalies out there. He certainly has the ability to turn into a great one, and has had flashes of brilliance, but he's gotta show it consistently first.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
So I'm guessing Kevin Poulin won't receive much love in this thread, just making a shout-out.

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
this thread needs some reimer. how has he not been mentioned yet?

Well, the OP asked for goalies who haven't established themselves in the NHL yet and while Reimer has not done that per se, he has been handed the number one job in Toronto. In other words, he's "established", for now.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Any list that doesn't have Eddie Lack in the top 5 isn't worth reading.

Absolutely no one knows more than the Goalie Guild. It's his passion and he backs it up with solid analysis, so yes, that particular list is worth ready - and it has Lack at 11.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
That goes on top of him leading the Greyhounds to a playoff spot the year before - when they really shouldn't have been in one. Then his up and down like a yo-yo year where he looked admirable in the NHL, but couldn't stick. Then usurping Barry Brust as the B-Sens' AHL goalie down 3-1 in the first series, never to look back.

He was already being talked about, and he raised his stock exponentially while Markstrom didn't. I guess in the long run it doesn't matter a hill of beans, but I'm curious why he's not in the top spot is all.

So you use just one season as your example? You know, Markstrom has had an impressive resume over the last few seasons as well. He dominated the SEL for three years straight, was unquestionably the best goalie in the league in his last season, as a teenager. Won SEL Rookie of the Year in 2010. Two-time starter for Tre Kronor in the WJC. Best goalie of the tourney in 2009. Has played in the World Championships.

He had to adjust to North American hockey last season whereas Lehner didn't as he was already acclimated from the year before. He jumped straight into the pros over here behind a bad defense and a weak team. He struggled for a couple months, but from December on he was dominant. He suffered a knee injury in February which cut his season short. It was a bit of rotten luck that he wasn't given the opportunity to stretch out his success when he was on a real roll. He hasn't stagnated at all. I'm sure it was a season Markstrom would like to put behind him, but he did prove that he could play at a top level in the AHL. He is back skating now and hopefully he picks up where he left off and has a big season behind an improved team in San Antonio.

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
So you use just one season as your example? You know, Markstrom has had an impressive resume over the last few seasons as well. He dominated the SEL for three years straight, was unquestionably the best goalie in the league in his last season, as a teenager. Won SEL Rookie of the Year in 2010. Two-time starter for Tre Kronor in the WJC. Best goalie of the tourney in 2009. Has played in the World Championships.

He had to adjust to North American hockey last season whereas Lehner didn't as he was already acclimated from the year before. He jumped straight into the pros over here behind a bad defense and a weak team. He struggled for a couple months, but from December on he was dominant. He suffered a knee injury in February which cut his season short. It was a bit of rotten luck that he wasn't given the opportunity to stretch out his success when he was on a real roll. He hasn't stagnated at all. I'm sure it was a season Markstrom would like to put behind him, but he did prove that he could play at a top level in the AHL. He is back skating now and hopefully he picks up where he left off and has a big season behind an improved team in San Antonio.

Even if you're right, nobody is going to take you seriously given your username.

Afro Thunder*

I do realize he has great potential, and I loved his performance at the WJC in 2010. But he had an atrocious season and only one year removed from being drafted, he simply hasn't proven enough yet at this point for me to put him in my top 10. There are lots of good young goalies out there. He certainly has the ability to turn into a great one, and has had flashes of brilliance, but he's gotta show it consistently first.

:laugh::laugh:

wait wait wait wait.

HE is a top 3 goalie prospect and probably the #1 goalie prospect but appreantly he doesn't make your list of top 10? lololololol.

He hasn't proven enough? WTF do you want from a 19 year old goalie to prove for you to go on your crappy top 10 list? He has achieved much more than any goalie on that list. Won the Calder cup and the MVP, did you expect him to get the stanley cup at the age of 19 as well? Bingo wasn't that strong in the playoffs, they were in on the verge of elimination trailing the 1st round of the playoffs 3-1 until Lehner was put in and he carried that team through 3 straight overtime wins to win the series, now that's ****ing epic, goes on to sweep the opponent next round then when Bingo finally got some bodies back from Ottawa and the injured list is when they finally became the stacked team that was.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
:laugh::laugh:

wait wait wait wait.

HE is a top 3 goalie prospect and probably the #1 goalie prospect but appreantly he doesn't make your list of top 10? lololololol.

He hasn't proven enough? WTF do you want from a 19 year old goalie to prove for you to go on your crappy top 10 list? He has achieved much more than any goalie on that list. Won the Calder cup and the MVP, did you expect him to get the stanley cup at the age of 19 as well? Bingo wasn't that strong in the playoffs, they were in on the verge of elimination trailing the 1st round of the playoffs 3-1 until Lehner was put in and he carried that team through 3 straight overtime wins to win the series, now that's ****ing epic, goes on to sweep the opponent next round then when Bingo finally got some bodies back from Ottawa and the injured list is when they finally became the stacked team that was.

Will you pause from your frenzied Lehner defending for one second and realize I wasn't talking about Lehner?

Coco the Monkey*

Aug 31, 2010
If they are that dim-witted, then I don't care what they think.

Well, I'd have Markstrom #2 right now behind Lehner in terms of Swedish goalie prospects at least. This is based on what they have proven in North America so far, which is all that matters.

Lehner is also younger than Markstrom. That should be taken into account.

Markstrom is a stud goalie prospect though, they are very similar in my mind. The fact that you are bashing Campbell for a terrible season yet defending Markstrom to no end for his average season is pretty funny.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I'm citing two years, the first was when Lehner came over and led the Greyhounds to a playoff spot with a 27 win season (0.918), then settling into the AHL the next with with a .912, then winning the Butterfield with an astounding performance in a pressure packed scenario with Binghamton (a ridiculous .939).

I like Markstrom as a prospect and think he has a bright future, but in my estimation Lehner's nipping at his heals as top prospect. This next year will be incredibly interesting to watch goaltending prospects - especially Lehner and Markstrom head to head in the AHL.

At any rate, I'm sure you and I can agree that the East will soon have two very powerful goaltenders in Lehner and Markstrom.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Well, I'd have Markstrom #2 right now behind Lehner in terms of Swedish goalie prospects at least. This is based on what they have proven in North America so far, which is all that matters.

Lehner is also younger than Markstrom. That should be taken into account.

Markstrom is a stud goalie prospect though, they are very similar in my mind. The fact that you are bashing Campbell for a terrible season yet defending Markstrom to no end for his average season is pretty funny.

LOL, of course it is.

Markstrom has proven a lot more than Campbell has. It's not that funny. We'll see what Markstrom has proven in North America after he's had two seasons in North America, like Lehner has. You know, since nothing in Europe and internationally counts.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'm citing two years, the first was when Lehner came over and led the Greyhounds to a playoff spot with a 27 win season (0.918), then settling into the AHL the next with with a .912, then winning the Butterfield with an astounding performance in a pressure packed scenario with Binghamton (a ridiculous .939).

I like Markstrom as a prospect and think he has a bright future, but in my estimation Lehner's nipping at his heals as top prospect. This next year will be incredibly interesting to watch goaltending prospects - especially Lehner and Markstrom head to head in the AHL.

At any rate, I'm sure you and I can agree that the East will soon have two very powerful goaltenders in Lehner and Markstrom.

I agree with that, and two bright up and coming teams as well.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
I think the Lehner hype from Sens fans has become a little bit exagerrated. With Markström, Läck, Lindbäck, Enroth, Hellberg, it wouldn't even be outrageous to have him outside of the top-3 for Swedish goalies alone.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think the Lehner hype from Sens fans has become a little bit exagerrated. With Markström, Läck, Lindbäck, Enroth, Hellberg, it wouldn't even be outrageous to have him outside of the top-3 for Swedish goalies alone.

Yeah, that's some exceptional talent right there.

Darjeeling

Jul 3, 2009
David Honzik is a diamond in the rough. He looks like Carey Price.
I think he will be the best goalie in the CHL next season.

Afro Thunder*

It's more like defending him and questioning stupid lists on why he isn't even mentioned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad