GDT: 10/31: Bruins vs Ducks 7pm ET - Happy Halloween

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was so tired from Wednesday night that I only saw the God awful first period of this game. And it was God awful there is no other way to describe it.

What happened to Johnny Boychuk? I hope he won't be out long.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I was so tired from Wednesday night that I only saw the God awful first period of this game. And it was God awful there is no other way to describe it.

It "appeared" his knee twisted awkwardly in the 2nd period when being hit by a Duck, didn`t return.

That first was a snoozer for sure

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
B's did battle back in the 2nd and 3rd. Its nice to pull out a win in these type of games. I see that teams are using there speed to clog up the neutral zone and hem us in our zone. We need to make sure that were getting to those pucks on the dump in. I can't wait till the 9th when we play the Leafs, that's gonna be a nice test. Again, opposing teams speed seems to be a problem.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I'm not sure if it was mentioned in previous pages but I like how Julien went with Soderberg in the shootout. His turnover caused the first Ducks goal but he redeemed himself with a goal of his own and then Julien put him in a position to ice the game. Ok, he didn't score but I thought it was a good way for Julien to show that he is still behind the guy.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm not sure if it was mentioned in previous pages but I like how Julien went with Soderberg in the shootout. His turnover caused the first Ducks goal but he redeemed himself with a goal of his own and then Julien put him in a position to ice the game. Ok, he didn't score but I thought it was a good way for Julien to show that he is still behind the guy.

Yep, did the same often with Segs, Julien has a dog house, it`s just not that big and he isn`t a coach who`ll keep a player in one for a month at a time like some.

Spooner being called upon as the 1st shooter is NOT something Julien would have done in his first few years either...just love the way that he has recognized what he needed to adjust as far as thinking goes and how he`s become one of the best, and most respected coaches in the game

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Had to watch this one off the DVR last night due to Halloween festivities. The good news is that I burned through the entire game in about an hour and 15 minutes.

First period was embarrassing. They really settled things down after that and I thought they looked great. I would also point to the Krejci line being the one to really get the team going, even though they didn't pot any during play.

It's only one play, and it didn't kill them this time around, but Soderberg can't ever be making a 50 foot cross ice pass THROUGH the center of the Boston blue line. Isn't the whole "never through the middle" thing drilled into your head at age 7 these days?

On the other hand, it's only one game but I noticed Spooner more than the majority of Bruin forwards last night. Didn't seem to be afraid whatsoever, and is extremely shifty. He just seems like one of those kids that is difficult to line up for a hit cuz of how quick and agile he is.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Yep, did the same often with Segs, Julien has a dog house, it`s just not that big and he isn`t a coach who`ll keep a player in one for a month at a time like some.

Spooner being called upon as the 1st shooter is NOT something Julien would have done in his first few years either...just love the way that he has recognized what he needed to adjust as far as thinking goes and how he`s become one of the best, and most respected coaches in the game

I think admittance to Julien's doghouse involves lack of effort, soft play, poor defensive plays - not a one off bad turnover. Unlike Caron who had a bad turnover, Soderberg has generally looked very good and has played solid in all zones.

Caper Bruins fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
B's did battle back in the 2nd and 3rd. Its nice to pull out a win in these type of games. I see that teams are using there speed to clog up the neutral zone and hem us in our zone. We need to make sure that were getting to those pucks on the dump in. I can't wait till the 9th when we play the Leafs, that's gonna be a nice test. Again, opposing teams speed seems to be a problem.

Very accurate analysis. The only problem I see as far as getting to the pucks on dump in's is when you play a team like Chicago, their D are so skilled at retrieving the puck and heading back the other way very quickly.

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Kids still learning, with Krug, it`s almost like Hamilton is now a bit under the radar here which is fine. He is quietly becoming very strong in his own end, and when that happens, you see the confidence offensively which we were seeing last night with consistent and intelligent times to jump into plays.

Sorry, disagree with some, Marchand was an absolute mess last night, moving fast, doing little, we all see the game different and I love the ball o hate when he`s on his game but when he`s not.....Spoons looked very comfortable out there and I didn`t find him playing with Sods/Kelly held him back at all which was great to see.

Absolutely brutal, Maple Leafs-like period in the first with one shot. As unacceptable as that it, I`m incredibly impressed with Bruce Boudreau, never thought he could coach defense and not having watched the Ducks last season, nor once this year, he has that team playing exceptionally strong defensive hockey. Very similar to the B`s where they will give you the blueline (bend) but little in the way of quality shots (don`t break). Again, no excuse for the one lone shot, but if ya look at the Ducks shot total (I think it was 5?) it`s not like the B`s were giving up chances while looking for their legs.

Either way, 2pts against a very good (albeit it banged up Ducks team) playing with only 5 D-men after JB didn`t return to play. I`ll take it

Good points, as usual.

I came in here to post about Hamilton (wow, is he developing nicely!). I haven't read the entire thread, but hopefully others have mentioned Krug's contributions. He's still finding his way, but when he decides to take the puck in the offensive zone you can see what he's going to be.

Marchand seems out of sink. You can see him trying to bring back elements of his game (quick reversals in the offensive zone and some sandpaper), but he's not skating and hustling the way he can. Smith was the best player on that line.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I was tired too. The B's looked pretty asleep in the first.

Johnny B limped down the tunnel. I hope he rests up. The B's have Bart so they will be OK.

Spooner has moves that dare I say remind me of Savvy.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Thoughts and other things...

- Krej... what can we say about this guy that hasn't already been said?... He has been just amazing. The panelists on SNET were raving about him and saying HE IS Boston's best forward (oddly enough I have a friend who says the same)... Thought is Krej may not be on Bergy's level defensively (just slightly behind) but his offense is much superior... I can see that argument. I really hope he gets the Bergy contract this summer and locked up 8 years at 6.5... We need this guy, he is part of our core and every bit important as Bergy. When Bergy is down... Krej is right there to pick up the slack... he is the straw that stirs the drink which is Bruins offense.

- Spooner... I was so impressed by this kid. All over the ice, working hard in the dzone, and ozone. One thing I which really made me smile was he had no fear to take the shot. A few times I figured a rookie may be intimidated or whatever, but during the 3rd (may have been 2nd) it was a 2 on 1 and Spoons was looking shot all the way and nearly picked the corner. Good to see that swag early in a kid. No chance he is going down.

- Krug... I have jumped so hard on this guys bandwagon, broke both my knees. He showed a lot of fight in the Pens game getting into it with Sid, noticed the same with this game... Maybe it's Bruins culture? not sure, but Kruger is developing snarl to go along with all the other tools he already pocessess... and I love it.

- Bar none this was Dougies best game in the NHL to date. The sequence to end the 2nd was just marvelous... making smart pinches, holding the line (God knows how)... It seemed he was on the ice a lot, looked at the stats and he had the 2nd most ice time of the entire game (25+ mins). As mentioned seems Dougie is flying under radar due to the Kruger... but man, if Dougie plays like he did last night every night, he will be turning heads everywhere.

- Yeti was defiently the goat on the first goal... I shook my head in disapointment at that... but he scored to redeem himself, it was nice to see that. Thinking maybe sometimes he just needs to take more time, still appears to be adjusting... making fast decisions (but not always the right one)... If he takes that 1- .5 of a second and consistently make right choices he should do better. I think that will come the more games he gets in.

-Not a full 60, but good to get the win... our defense looks amazing right now and defiently the strength of this team. Love the direction with big and mobile d unit.

- Gave Iggy lots of love in his own thread... will just say... call me crazy... call this early... I just get this constant image of Chara handing the cup over to Iggy in a Bourque like moment... Very early and nuts to suggest a thing... but it's a moment I see over and over in my head, hope it comes. This guy has been money.

- Rask has to watch that high blocker, but he kept us in there when the team was playing like poop....not his best/sharpest game but he got the job done.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think admittance to Julien's doghouse involves lack of effort, soft play, poor defensive plays - not a one off bad turnover. Unlike Caron who had a bad turnover, Soderberg has generally looked very good and has played solid in all zones.

Agreed, every player has turns the puck over, you play outside of the Bruins system, you tend to get a rest from the ice, but Julien doesn`t punish players for games on end because of it, he`ll give them the chance to play their way back into that ice time

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Have to agree that Spooner was definitely a highlight of this game. His speed and skill are such an asset to this team, especially with Seguin gone. He also does remind me a bit of Savard at times which reminds me how much I miss that guy. I think one of the Bruins biggest issues this year will be dealing with speed and he will become more and more valuable for that. I love that he finally got a chance to play and hope he gets to continue. He belongs in the NHL, we need to find a place for him.
I also think Hamilton has quietly elevated his game this season. He's definitely maturing as a player and I am very impressed with what I've seen from him. He's playing stronger than ever and becoming more sure of himself. He seems to have a ton of work ethic and I think he's going to be a very exciting player to watch. Our young guys are stepping it up this year for sure.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
We lost power after the first and didn't regain it until after post-game report.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Thinking maybe they should start Johnson Saturday to give Rask a break. Took a few bumps last night (got up slow from one of them), not exactly as sharp as he's normally been.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

I think the fact that he spent his summer working on his weaknesses impressed as well-info think Yeti is at his best when he has someone on his line with some speed. Spooner provided that and while Smith isn't super speedy he was speedier than Caron or Kelly.

Shoot I think Kelly needs speed as well (which is why I think Kelly did well with Peverly and Seguin-last season being an exception but then not much could fix that line last year).

Marchy is still struggling but I see some flashes in his play. I almost think shifting Marchy back to merlot for a while might help, but with Louie out not really sure how you rework the lines. Last thing Bergy needs is a line where he has to carry two bottom 6 wingers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad