GDT: 10-31-13:Preds @ Yotes - "The if we only knew how to get more events in here edition"

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
I think you have to let Hellberg start to determine what must be done rosterwise. If he's awful, get another tender. If he's good, let him stick. Forget Hutton. He's not any team's long term goaltending solution as a starter or back up. There was a reason he was in the AHL full time at 26.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Hellberg
Could be a Finley situation...

I doubt it we think hes better. The again that's what we thought of Finley....

Finley never improved in Milwaukee! His GAA went up 0.4 in a season where his team made the Calder Cup Finals. Hellberg is a better goalie after one year in the AHL.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I think you have to let Hellberg start to determine what must be done rosterwise. If he's awful, get another tender. If he's good, let him stick. Forget Hutton. He's not any team's long term goaltending solution as a starter or back up. There was a reason he was in the AHL full time at 26.

The reason had a lot to do with his path through the ranks. This is his 4th full pro season after four full seasons in the NCAA. Three decent to actually good appearances vs two rough to bad showings and he gets written off.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I never said what you can or cannot feel and just where did I say it was over a "single softie"? Hutton's soft goal was just one data point I mentioned.

I did comment on the double standard exhibited here based on the following, positive or negative, of a player. Statistically so far this season, Hutton and Rinne are comparable ... .912 vs .917 sv% ... more shots per minute allowed while Hutton was between the pipes than when Rinne is playing ... 2-1-1 (62.5% of possible points) for Hutton, 4-4-1 (50% of possible points) for Rinne ... tight enough at this point where one or two games for either player can have a significant impact . Eye test this season, Hutton has two bad appearances out of five (both since Rinne went down) while Rinne has one horrendous game (@STL) and a couple more bad games (TOR, FLA wasn't the greatest) out of nine starts.
Rinne's game against St. Louis was not as bad as Hutton's game against Phoenix nor Hutton's game against St. Louis.

And the stats thing is why stats in hockey never tell the full story.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Rinne's game against St. Louis was not as bad as Hutton's game against Phoenix nor Hutton's game against St. Louis.

And the stats thing is why stats in hockey never tell the full story.

Rinne's game against St Louis is indefensible. Three goals on six shots faced, allowing his team to get down by three less than ten minutes into the season. Rinne didn't give up the soft goal on misreading the puck like Hutton's first ... the 2nd and 3rd goals Hutton allowed are a wash with the ones Rinne allowed in the season opener (although Sobotka did pretty much own both Klein and Rinne on his goal). Rinne was good the first period and a half against Toronto, then gave up four goals on seventeen shots down the stretch .... one directly resulting from him misplaying the puck. Maybe one year people will be honest and say a star had a game where they just sucked ... this doesn't seem to be it.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
Rinne's game against St Louis is indefensible. Three goals on six shots faced, allowing his team to get down by three less than ten minutes into the season. Rinne didn't give up the soft goal on misreading the puck like Hutton's first ... the 2nd and 3rd goals Hutton allowed are a wash with the ones Rinne allowed in the season opener (although Sobotka did pretty much own both Klein and Rinne on his goal). Rinne was good the first period and a half against Toronto, then gave up four goals on seventeen shots down the stretch .... one directly resulting from him misplaying the puck. Maybe one year people will be honest and say a star had a game where they just sucked ... this doesn't seem to be it.

Why don't you just accept that people have favorites and goats. It is part of all sports. If you think that dragging out stats is just going to change people's minds it isn't. People love Rinne. They will give him more leeway because of that. Hutton is a stranger. Hendricks is a stranger. You are going to be more skeptical of them because you don't know them. If Hutton plays lights out in the next few weeks people will change their minds.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm not saying Rinne didn't have a bad game, I'm saying Hutton's was worse and Rinne tends to rebound after a loss, Hutton's gone from bad to worse.

Also if you go back to the GDT, you'll see I bashed Rinne for that game.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Why don't you just accept that people have favorites and goats. It is part of all sports. If you think that dragging out stats is just going to change people's minds it isn't. People love Rinne. They will give him more leeway because of that. Hutton is a stranger. Hendricks is a stranger. You are going to be more skeptical of them because you don't know them. If Hutton plays lights out in the next few weeks people will change their minds.

I'm not a fan of accepting hypocrisy. If a player, no matter how loved, lays an egg they laid an egg and need to be called on it. If a player does well, again no matter how much he is loved or hated, he did well and deserve recognition for it. Fairness in reward and punishment.

Right now the PREDS have inconsistent goaltending and defense. Both Hutton and Rinne have been Jekyll and Hyde this season. A couple good games each accompanied by misplayed pucks and stretches where it looks like they couldn't stop anything. The defense has a shift every now and then where they just leave somebody wide open to pick where they want to shoot the puck ... almost playing the equivalent of 5 year old kids "herd ball" soccer. Line changes are adventures and for some reason the puck gets turned over right in the middle of a change leading to a scrambling effort in our defensive end. Offensively, the rush is ineffective , the PP is struggling with only five goals 5on4, our expected scorers are absent at even strength, and too rarely are we getting players in position for the ugly goals that too often are the only ones we manage to get at ES.

Players we expected to perform haven't yet (Wilson, Bourque, Forsberg, Stalberg). Players we thought would have secondary roles are having to pick up the slack or are thrust into roles we hoped they wouldn't fill for a prolonged time (Nystrom, Hutton/Hellberg).

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
I'm not saying Rinne didn't have a bad game, I'm saying Hutton's was worse and Rinne tends to rebound after a loss, Hutton's gone from bad to worse.

Also if you go back to the GDT, you'll see I bashed Rinne for that game.

Sorry ... but nothing Hutton did so far this season is worse than Rinne's first appearance this year. Rinne came out immobile, flat, and got lit up. As bad as Hutton's last two games were, he kept the team in the game well into the 2nd period against the Blues in spite of the onslaught the Blues unleashed early (17 STL SOG in the 1st), then crumbled and after allowing the Yotes back into the game still gave the team opportunities to win in OT and the shootout. Rinne's first performance simply put the team behind an 8 ball that gave them little chance to overcome.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Totally disagree and we'll have to end it there.

Rinne sucked in the first game but Hutton's last 2 have me convinced he's not NHL material

As far as the Blues 17 shot first period, even the Blues announcers had a tough time believing that and made a few comments to 17 shots but not many good chances..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad