GDT: 10/30: Boston Bruins @ Pittsburgh Penguins 8pm ET

bruinsfan001

Apr 2, 2010
Passing was off, didn't see very many tape to tape passes. Too much back and forth passing between the D in their own end, needed more speed with the break outs. The Bergeron drive to the net was the only good play that stood out, need more of that from everyone. Also you could tell the Penguins took a lesson from the Blackhawks, they had a lone forward ahead of the play all night behind the Bruins D, not even sure if the coaches caught on to that because they were getting away with it all night.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
That 3rd line was awful last night, just plain bad. Soderbeg looked lost last, Caron should be back in the AHL and I think Kelly game suffers when he has no one to help on his line.

When Louie gets back, I want Smith back on the 3rd line and Caron out..

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Caron needs to go. I don't care if we get something for him or just a bag of pucks. The guy had so many chances but he blew all of them. Call up a kid from Providence, they deserve a shot way more than Caron.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thats what I have said, we will live or die by Rask .... trading Seguin just made us a much slower team, Code could never figure out how to use him, I guess the same could be said for Kessel .....

So a Cup winning coach, a coach who`s been in the Cup finals twice in the last 3 years, a Jack Adams winner, a member of the Canadian Olympic coaching staff....that`s the guy you think couldn`t figure out how to "use" Kessel and Seguin???:shakehead

So much panic and unnecessary emotions on here after a loss(es), ever think that Kessel, at that time, had a severe allergy to the gym, wouldn`t fully buy into the system, needed to be moved? Or in Seguin`s case, as we watched for ourselves in Behind the B`s when they spoke about him, with Benning saying something to the effect that "we`ll be back here having the same conversation about this guy next summer"....so is the problem Julien, or is the problem perhaps, just perhaps, those players don`t fit into the style/system that Chia/Cam and Claude demand they play??

This coach, his system/style isn`t perfect, and it`s not for everyone, but I will wholeheartedly disagree that Claude didn`t know how to use either. This is a results driven business, and without Kessel, the coach who didn`t know how to use him helped guide this team to a Cup victory, and came up just short with insane injuries in doing so last year...sorry, not drinkin the kool-aid you are trying to sell us

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
What an amazing game last night. Great tempo/playoff intensity, etc. Caron's turnover was awful, even I can't defend that one. :laugh:

-Iggy looked great out there, he seems to have a bit of a grudge vs. Pitt.. he looked like he was trying to prove just how poorly he was utilized by Bylsma during his brief stint as a Pen.
-Marshy seems to be back in form as well.
-Hard to blame Tuukka for letting those goals in, especially Sutter's gloveside snipe.

All in all, I was very impressed by our play in spite of losing.

I'm becoming a Caron apologist ... but whatever ... that was a garbage pass by 55. In his feet with a guy on top of him, don't really put that on Caron.

mattbnh

Apr 26, 2004
New Hampster
This is the team that has ZERO goal scoring abilty, Tuukka better be in the hunt for the veznia or we are in for a long season with this bunch.

Most goalies have problems with shots that clang in (rather than out) after hitting the post.

Both of those shots were unlikely to be stopped; both were the direct result of defensive mistakes.

Krug, as good as he has been, was exposed a couple of times, but in my opinion, any Bruins defenseman other than Chara, or Hamilton with Chara's stick, would have been beaten the same way.

Iggy looked like he had a specific beef with Crosby - he ruffled the little canary's feathers several times.
Maybe it was being delegated to Pitt's third line, yet being labeled a scapegoat for the loss to Boston in the playoffs.
Then again, he is not the first guy who left the Pens to go to a team that beat the Pens (Hossa). Something in the water, or in the clubhouse?

Number8

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Thats what I have said, we will live or die by Rask .... trading Seguin just made us a much slower team, Code could never figure out how to use him, I guess the same could be said for Kessel .....

It's nowhere near that dire a situation. Some perspective is in order:

The Bruins are currently ranked 15th in the league in Points.

If you pro-rate stats by number of games played (24 teams have played more than us):

Points per games played: 11 out of 30
Goals For per games played: 13 out of 30
Goals Against per games played: 5 out of 30
Goal Differential per games played: 5 out of 30

Percentage of games played against top half of league based on points (7 of 11): 64%

Goal differential against top half of league teams (7 games): +7

All that with the key piece in the Seguin trade on the shelf with a concussion -- arguably screwing up both the 2nd and 3rd lines.

Don't get me wrong -- in the big picture we will of course "live and die" by Rask -- just as no team can have much success if their #1 goalie is crap. Fortunately for us that doesn't appear to be a problem.

However, you somehow seem to suggest that unless Rask's GAA is something like 1.2 we are screwed. :laugh:

Thank God you're not a Rangers or Flyers fan..... we'd be talking you off the ledge big time.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I'm becoming a Caron apologist ... but whatever ... that was a garbage pass by 55. In his feet with a guy on top of him, don't really put that on Caron.

The pass was tape to tape, but it was a poor play by both players. Caron showed no awareness. He had his stick on the ice staring right at Boychuk looking for the pass. And then he tries to handle it with a guy right on him.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I blame Boychuk more than Caron on that play. Boychuk had a very strong game outside of that though.

Krejci was absolute garbage last night. You need your centers going when you play against Pittsburgh and he looked as bad as I've ever seen him. Bergeron, on the other hand, was great.

putabergeronthegrill

Oct 31, 2011
I watched most of the game and didn't read this thread during it. seems like most people agree it was a great game and both teams played well, we just made a few more mistakes which cost us the game.

easy loss to handle really, not sure why some people are freaking out. Both those 3rd periods pens goals went off the post an in, can't fault rask for those.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I think almost every team "lives and dies" by their goalie, but I think if Rask got hurt we would be completely screwed. He's bailed us out already a few times this season, but the Bruins are definitely a team that go off of the goalies "competitiveness" as well. If Rask has an off day, so does the entire team.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
Boys it a long season teams go through this as long we are one of the teams that qualify for the playoffs. I believe that all that matters not going to get nuts this season unless we in last in March.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I watched most of the game and didn't read this thread during it. seems like most people agree it was a great game and both teams played well, we just made a few more mistakes which cost us the game.

easy loss to handle really, not sure why some people are freaking out. Both those 3rd periods pens goals went off the post an in, can't fault rask for those.

Both those goals were terrific shots. The Sutter one in particular, woof, nobody is stopping that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad