GDT: 10/30/19 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New Jersey

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
I think with enough pressure from our end the game wouldnt have been as easy for NJ because Schneider is just terrible. Still though they could have just rolled over if they truly want Coop gone. They have had that happen a few times this year. Where they look like they are just going to quit on Cooper and then come out and win right after. Makes no sense to me.
Don't misunderstand, I don't think the players want Coop gone. That's part of the problem.

Reactions: DFC

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Don't misunderstand, I don't think the players want Coop gone. That's part of the problem.

See I dont know. Why the slow start? Is it becuase the regular season doesnt seem as exciting after winning 62 games and then failing out in 4 playoff strait games? The team looks disinterested and if its not Cooper then this must be it. Dont think its a legit excuse but it would make sense.

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I have some really bad news for anyone even remotely buying into the idea that they're just holding back or conserving or consciously playing this way for stretch run of the season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I have some really bad news for anyone even remotely buying into the idea that they're just holding back or conserving or consciously playing this way for stretch run of the season.

Theyre definitely holding back. Why is the question I dont know. Is it because of Cooper or other reasons? Otherwise how do you explain them winning 62 games?? This team isnt that different.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
I agree and don't know that anyone really thinks that. It's pretty obvious that this team is lost right now. It seems to be stuck between identities, one of the "showtime", flashy type and the rough and tumble grind it out type that seems to succeed more in the playoffs. They're stuck in between and are not efficient in either style of play. I think, at this particular time, it's a lack of buy-in by everyone.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
No one is saying it is conscious or by design. It is a function of coaching inertia and player's wishing the playoffs could start tomorrow so that they can redeem themselves. In short, I think they are looking ahead, but not consciously.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
Would be more entertaining than most Bolts game this season. We could play the other game of trying to figure out how many TB's of shirtless pictures of Bolt players that @TeslaCoilFan hides from her husband?

Not quite as many as y’all might think. Some of the boys are just too young for my tastes. :P

Though I will admit to having a lovely picture of most of Team Sweden celebrating their World Championship gold in 2017 by splashing around in their big whirlpool wearing only their tight black skivvies and their gold medals. :heart:

Missed the game aside from listening to OT on the radio. Sounds like it was a rollercoaster of a game. Glad they pulled off the two points, but it would be nice to have some consistency. With Heddy and Cernak both out, there’s goes 2/3 of our defensively capable defensemen. Though Sergy does seem to be improving in that area and Coburn does have his moments.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
What I dont get is if they're gonna implement a new structure why not do it with a new coach?

I get the Cooper contract situation, but a coach that's been there for 5 years all of a sudden switching structures seems desperate and clunky. If a new voice came in and implemented it it would be way more affective.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm sure it's just October and theres nothing to worry about (flashbacks of 2017).
That season could probably be justified with all the injuries we had, but still should've made the playoffs. This one however? It would probably be the best roster in NHL history to miss the playoffs unless I'm forgetting someone.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
That season could probably be justified with all the injuries we had, but still should've made the playoffs. This one however? It would probably be the best roster in NHL history to miss the playoffs unless I'm forgetting someone.

It was absolutely NOT justified.... they missed the playoffs by 1 point and left a ton of points on the table in Oct-Nov with a healthy lineup. They started the season slow and built up a ton of bad habits they couldn't shake until February and they got a bunch of call-ups in. Inexcusable playoff miss that burned a year off of Kucherov's bridge, Bishop's last year, Hedman's last year at 4.25m, a year of Point's ELC and what was the best Lightning roster ever at the time until last year.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It was absolutely NOT justified.... they missed the playoffs by 1 point and left a ton of points on the table in Oct-Nov with a healthy lineup. They started the season slow and built up a ton of bad habits they couldn't shake until February and they got a bunch of call-ups in. Inexcusable playoff miss that burned a year off of Kucherov's bridge, Bishop's last year, Hedman's last year at 4.25m, a year of Point's ELC and what was the best Lightning roster ever at the time until last year.
Yeah you're right. I took a quick peek at our results from that season and there are some inexcusable games there, such as going 1-5 against the bottom 3 teams in the league. I don't remember exactly how injured we were in the first half but it definitely wasn't as bad bs it was at the end of the season, when we were actually performing.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
We had no business even being in the game let alone winning it. I was kind of hoping we would lose to get even more heat on Cooper but meh, it's still two points in the bank which should come in handy when April rolls around.

Reactions: DFC

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
It looks like Stammer is playing his own game out there and not following Coop's new "system". Maybe that's why he was benched for the third and OT. Maybe Stammer is the first true sign of him losing the room.

Also Ruuta has played one game. We are 1-0 with him in the line up. The charts didn't lie, when he's in we win. Charts prove yet again, that we are all plebs.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
It looks like Stammer is playing his own game out there and not following Coop's new "system". Maybe that's why he was benched for the third and OT. Maybe Stammer is the first true sign of him losing the room.

Also Ruuta has played one game. We are 1-0 with him in the line up. The charts didn't lie, when he's in we win. Charts prove yet again, that we are all plebs.
7 goals for on average with Rutta in the lineup.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Explains why he was so noticeable then. It was pretty clear that he was hustling out there.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
He was on the ice for 4 of the 6 goals against. Not saying they were all his fault, but that's an ugly stat for 1 game.
Charts man, charts say he's good. Charts don't lie. Charts are truth.

Can't argue the fact the charts said he was a positive for us and we won with him in the line up.

Charts.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He was on the ice for 4 of the 6 goals against. Not saying they were all his fault, but that's an ugly stat for 1 game.

I can't even remember one goal against where you could say he was to blame, ugly stat for sure but the whole team especially the forwards are atrocious in their own end right now. Coburn was only a -1 but he was especially bad at attempts to clear the zone probably our worse d-man the past 2 games but stats won't tell you that.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I can't even remember one goal against where you could say he was to blame, ugly stat for sure but the whole team especially the forwards are atrocious in their own end right now. Coburn was only a -1 but he was especially bad at attempts to clear the zone probably our worse d-man the past 2 games but stats won't tell you that.
Yeah ever since Marek Malik, I've never been a fan of the +/- stat

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

I think Stamkos and Kucherov have a green light, to an extent. Although I think Stamkos is playing a cycle system pretty well. I only find myself rolling my eyes at him when he passes to Kucherov for no reason whatsoever. Kucherov, obviously, is in a whole different zone.

That said, I think there are a few signs, going back to the sweep, that Stamkos would prefer a change. He'll obviously never say it openly, but he's coming up on 30. And that's when guys without cups start to hear the clock ticking.

Letsgobolts21

Apr 19, 2019
They were put back out there late--after we took the lead and NJ promptly put one off the post/crossbar and that was the last we saw of them.

I actually think last night had alot to do with Volkov not being trusted defensively. But a line of Stamkos, Kuch and Volkov--their best defense is offense. If they are in the their own end too often it's not going to end well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad