GDT: 10/30/19 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ New Jersey

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Palat is a monster. Hats off to the man. I honestly thought he was done as a top-6 forward. Easily our best forward so far this season.
Sergachev and Shattenkirk were both terrific again, both a +2 btw. Schenn didn't look bad.
Benching of Kuch and Stamkos in the 3rd and OT was a surprise but warranted.
McElhinney finally got his first win as a Lightning, but at the cost of getting run over twice and 6 GA.
Rutta with a goal and a team high -3.

We gave up 5 powerplays, let them score 6 times and NJ had almost twice as many SOG than we did at 42-23.
They scored a couple exciting goals but we are absolute trash without the puck and in our own zone.

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
Apparently Cooper said “we played well our last few games. I’m not upset with our play at all” after yesterday's shitshow?
This is getting out of hand.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Apparently Cooper said “we played well our last few games. I’m not upset with our play at all” after yesterday's ****show?
Cooper is downright delusional if he really thinks that. Let's look at our last four games for his "last few games" time frame:

We barely beat the Penguins 3-2 (shots 48-39) who had to play half their AHL team due to an abundance of injuries.
We lost 2-3 in OT against the Predators and got heavily outshot (30-40).
We lost 1-4 to the rebuilding Rangers and got heavily outshot (30-42).
We won 7-6 against the struggling Devils and got heavily outshot (23-42) yet again.

Sure, the end result looks alright as we are 2-1-1 in those four games. But we were sure as hell not "playing well". If anything we got outplayed at least 3 of these 4 games while the remaining game (vs. a depleted Pittsburgh team) should not have been as close as it was (we scored the game winning goal in the last minute of the 3rd period). 3 out of the 4 teams we faced are clearly inferior to us, yet we managed to give up around 40 SOG in each game. Great team defense. Well played, team. Coach is happy.

Reactions: SRQKiter and Kusic

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Apparently Cooper said “we played well our last few games. I’m not upset with our play at all” after yesterday's ****show?
I honestly don't give two shits what he says to the press. While I would *enjoy* Torts-esque diatribes after every shit game, I don't think that does anything for the players or has any effect in the room (except insofar as it has a bad one).

If the same tone is what is happening behind closed doors, which I suspect is the case, *that* is a problem, though.

Reactions: Fudge

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Cooper is downright delusional if he really thinks that. Let's look at our last four games for his "last few games" time frame:

We barely beat the Penguins 3-2 (shots 48-39) who had to play half their AHL team due to an abundance of injuries.
We won 7-6 against the struggling Devils and got heavily outshot (23-42) yet again.

Sure, the end result looks alright as we are 2-1-1 in those four games. But we were sure as hell not "playing well". If anything we got outplayed at least 3 of these 4 games while the remaining game (vs. a depleted Pittsburgh team) should not have been as close as it was (we scored the game winning goal in the last minute of the 3rd period). 3 out of the 4 teams we faced are clearly inferior to us, yet we managed to give up around 40 SOG in each game. Great team defense. Well played, team. Coach is happy.
TBF I think we outplayed the Preds, but they were without their two best forwards, so there's still plenty to critique there.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I honestly hope we continue to look this bad through the year, staying within striking distance. This way we can ax Cooper and get a new message in the room to start 2020. This team looks absolutely horrendous.

Sadly, Q would have been perfect for 3 years, which matches up with our core’s peak. And now he is off the market. Torts would be great for one run. But I don’t see how that logistically is possible. Not sure who the top target would be? Boucher always works for a very short period, too.

I am sorry for the negativity, but, as you know, I have called for Cooper’s head for years. He clearly is not the answer. And his message now is stale and ineffective. This is some of the worst hockey I have seen us play in a while.

The biggest mistake JBB has made so far was resigning Cooper this spring.

Reactions: Kusic

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018

And let's not a forget a miserable, play down to, no, below, the level of our opponent loss to worst in the NHL Ottawa. Outshot 34-21 in that one.

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
So when is Kuch going to snap out of his funk? I think he should do it yesterday.
We know Kuch is a slow starter but I think we sometimes forget the degree.

20 games into last season, Kucherov was sitting at 20th in points... Then he scored 105 points in his next 62 games.

He'll catch fire, it's just a matter of time.

Reactions: 42 and Zwui21

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
We know Kuch is a slow starter but I think we sometimes forget the degree.

20 games into last season, Kucherov was sitting at 20th in points... Then he scored 105 points in his next 62 games.

He'll catch fire, it's just a matter of time.
I don't think he's going to come anywhere near his totals from last year. The entire team is a ****show with the exception of a few guys.

The entire team is going to see a pretty big reduction in points as well as the team in general.

Reactions: Kusic and Master P

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I turned the game off. Still feel good about it even though they managed to win against one of the worst teams in the league.

There's nothing really left to be said. This team is busted. I don't know how you can watch them and feel like anything is right with that team. Something. Someone. Is wrong. It's very apparent in the attitude of the players and the product on the ice. This isn't even close to the team we saw last year. I actually thought they'd be better this year. They're playing like a bottom team in the league in just about every facet of the game.

I'm really bummed out that so many years of our window have been wasted already and will likely continue to be wasted. It's such a disappointment.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
There isnt much positive from the game other than they won. They escaped with 2 points but they deserved to lose. Play against a somewhat decent goalie and they probably lose. I gotta say though that I wrote them off and didn't think they would put any effort into coming back and winning this one. They deserve credit for that.

Cooper cant be calling that anything but a disaster save the 2 points. The last two games were bad. I'm glad that he benched Kucherov and Stamkos as something needed to be done. I don't know what Cooper is telling the team behind closed doors but if hes saying the same things to them as he is saying to the media he is not setting the right tone in that locker room and if the play continues Coop will probably be gone. I don't see how the team wins games with that kind of effort.

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
There isnt much positive from the game other than they won. They escaped with 2 points but they deserved to lose. Play against a somewhat decent goalie and they probably lose. I gotta say though that I wrote them off and didn't think they would put any effort into coming back and winning this one. They deserve credit for that.

Cooper cant be calling that anything but a disaster save the 2 points. The last two games were bad. I'm glad that he benched Kucherov and Stamkos as something needed to be done. I don't know what Cooper is telling the team behind closed doors but if hes saying the same things to them as he is saying to the media he is not setting the right tone in that locker room and if the play continues Coop will probably be gone. I don't see how the team wins games with that kind of effort.
As much as I think Coop has to go, I don't believe that the bolded is occurring. I don't care what team or coach, the public and the private are very different (Torts probably being the exception to some degree, but only to some degree). To me, the simple truth is that the core of the team has been together with Coop for a very long time and they have tuned him out. Coop isn't Scotty Bowman and doesn't command the kind of respect that can be sustained indefinitely.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
As much as I think Coop has to go, I don't believe that the bolded is occurring. I don't care what team or coach, the public and the private are very different (Torts probably being the exception to some degree, but only to some degree). To me, the simple truth is that the core of the team has been together with Coop for a very long time and they have tuned him out. Coop isn't Scotty Bowman and doesn't command the kind of respect that can be sustained indefinitely.

Agree. Ill say this though. Last night was a shit show and they had no business winning that game. They still won and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to just roll over and play dead so that it inches closer that your HC that you have been tuning out will be shown the door. The fact that this team hasnt rolled over yet tells me either that they are just trying enough to win to keep pace in the playoff race or that he hasnt lost them completely yet. I dont know how that works though. I mean we are missing a few players to injury and the team looks worlds better when they are healthy and when Kucherov isnt looking like a disinterested player only there for his paycheck.

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Stamkos getting lumped in with Kucherov despite actually working pretty hard. Game to game basis this is one of Stamkos' more consistent seasons.
Guilt by association I guess. They were on the same line last night... but I don't get that either. Stammer's been, along with Palat, the hardest-working and most dependable player for us so far this season.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Stamkos and Palat have been our 2 best players. Dont know why he benched Stamkos but if I had to guess it was to send a message to the team. :dunno:

SRQKiter

Sep 26, 2018
Agree. Ill say this though. Last night was a **** show and they had no business winning that game. They still won and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to just roll over and play dead so that it inches closer that your HC that you have been tuning out will be shown the door. The fact that this team hasnt rolled over yet tells me either that they are just trying enough to win to keep pace in the playoff race or that he hasnt lost them completely yet. I dont know how that works though. I mean we are missing a few players to injury and the team looks worlds better when they are healthy and when Kucherov isnt looking like a disinterested player only there for his paycheck.
Even with our depleted roster, last night shouldn't happen in the first place so I give no points for the comeback, particularly against that team and that goalie (poor Schneider, he is so done). Now, the level of engagement for this team was going to be a problem in the regular season no matter what after last year, but again, that's Coop's job and he's not getting it done. His excuse is that he is experimenting with a new style of play, but that doesn't excuse the disengagement of the players.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Even with our depleted roster, last night shouldn't happen in the first place so I give no points for the comeback, particularly against that team and that goalie (poor Schneider, he is so done). Now, the level of engagement for this team was going to be a problem in the regular season no matter what after last year, but again, that's Coop's job and he's not getting it done. His excuse is that he is experimenting with a new style of play, but that doesn't excuse the disengagement of the players.

I think with enough pressure from our end the game wouldnt have been as easy for NJ because Schneider is just terrible. Still though they could have just rolled over if they truly want Coop gone. They have had that happen a few times this year. Where they look like they are just going to quit on Cooper and then come out and win right after. Makes no sense to me.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think this is also indicative of Coop's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks approach. Stammer is playing his heart out. What message is he sending by sitting him?

I have no clue. Only thing I can think of atm is that he didnt want Kucherov to be the only guy that he benched? Maybe that starts a storm with Kuch that nobody wants to see here. Just guessing. Otherwise bizarre move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad