Post-Game Talk: 10/30/13 Sharks at Kings. Sharks lose 3-4 in OT

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Pink,
I couldn't agree more. Aside from our goals, I was saying, "What??" quite a bit during the game. There were many gaffes by most everyone on the team. Amazingly, we garnered a point from it!!
Obviously, the coaching staff is well aware of the blunders and I believe they'll be addressed. I don't think Sheppard is going to be shipped out. The team has invested a lot of time on this kid.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Pink,
I couldn't agree more. Aside from our goals, I was saying, "What??" quite a bit during the game. There were many gaffes by most everyone on the team. Amazingly, we garnered a point from it!!
Obviously, the coaching staff is well aware of the blunders and I believe they'll be addressed. I don't think Sheppard is going to be shipped out. The team has invested a lot of time on this kid.

Pretty much this. With how much crying there has been about this game being the 'worst game of the season' we came out with a point .. on the road .. at the end of a 5 game road trip .. against one of the 'front-runners' for the cup .. despite playing without our best offensive D-man AND a top-line player. And we scored 3 goals on Quick. :nod:

There were a lot of negatives from the game for sure .. half of our D-men, Stuart, Hannan and Irwin played like garbage. The 4th line was pretty much the same. Kennedy was a turnover machine .. in a bad way. It was a real poor team effort on the whole. But then again .. refer to the first paragraph and take some positive(s) from the game too.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Uh-oh ... Sheppard with the 2nd!!!! bench minor for too many men on the ice. Hmmmm ... guess he should have ignored Kennedy waving his stick for a change, and then changing his mind when he-who-can-NEVER-do-wrong turned the puck over in the neutral zone.

Oh by far, Irwin/Stuart/Hannan were the weakest part last night. Sheppard just shouldn't have caused the 2nd too-many-men penalty but I did say it was borderline yet the refs chose to call that (but let many other calls go). Tough break.

BTW, look at the tape, it was Couture who lost the puck, not Kennedy. Kennedy was near the bench door - ~2 ft away...

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Pretty much this. With how much crying there has been about this game being the 'worst game of the season' we came out with a point .. on the road .. at the end of a 5 game road trip .. against one of the 'front-runners' for the cup .. despite playing without our best offensive D-man AND a top-line player. And we scored 3 goals on Quick. :nod:

There were a lot of negatives from the game for sure .. half of our D-men, Stuart, Hannan and Irwin played like garbage. The 4th line was pretty much the same. Kennedy was a turnover machine .. in a bad way. It was a real poor team effort on the whole. But then again .. refer to the first paragraph and take some positive(s) from the game too.

That can't be understated. All 3 goals involved cross ice passing with a quick shot. I think the same way when we had that amazing comeback a couple seasons ago. That's Quick's weakness - he's so aggressive and has a tendency to overplay.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
The mistakes are fixable. Its not like they have a lack of skill or speed. I do agree that a defensive upgrade may be in order.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
Playoff atmosphere. Playoff action. Big time rival. Over 50 man games lost vs Zero. Tough game to lose but the Sharks were not too disciplined and it was their eventual downfall. Havlat made it through the game so i was happy and he didnt look that out of sorts.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Playoff atmosphere. Playoff action. Big time rival. Over 50 man games lost vs Zero. Tough game to lose but the Sharks were not too disciplined and it was their eventual downfall. Havlat made it through the game so i was happy and he didnt look that out of sorts.

As long as he stays in the lineup, he'll get better. I don't know where this idea came from that Havlat needs to prove that he can fit into the way they play. That's been his game for years. He may not be the shooter that they'd like but his playmaking skills have always been conducive to a north-south game even when the team was playing poorly last year.

The team will get better as they get healthier. Havlat will improve since he's essentially in preseason mode. Boyle back in is obvious especially if they bench Irwin for a game or two, which should help him as well as the team. Burns getting back in should elevate the 2nd line entirely. Even Nieto getting back in will increase the team speed.

The team, even with last night's poorly executed game, is hanging in there with all the injury adversity. I'm happy where they're at and it will get better...in terms of play quality, maybe not record. lol

FSS

Aug 2, 2012
Last night was a fairly messy game to say the least. I too found myself saying "what" & "why" way too often during that game. I think it was primarily due to the jumbled lines because of the injures, and Havlat's return (didn't look good to me, but only game #1). We really need Burns back, and ditto for Boyle & Nieto.

SharksFan1

Aug 9, 2010
Orange County, CA
Last night was a fairly messy game to say the least. I too found myself saying "what" & "why" way too often during that game. I think it was primarily due to the jumbled lines because of the injures, and Havlat's return (didn't look good to me, but only game #1). We really need Burns back, and ditto for Boyle & Nieto.

I agree. It really hurts this team, especially JT's line, with Burns and Boyle out. Nieto much less so now that Havlats back, but he would still be nice to have in the line up.

Captain Mittens*

Regardless of the outcome, I always love Kings and Sharks games.

My peace offering

tumblr_lzvc4rcP9q1ql9fbgo1_400.gif

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Lol from hero to zero in one games time for sheppard. Fans are so fickle. The guy obviously doesn't belong on the top line with Thornton for extended time, but he definitely doesn't need to be traded due to arguable brain farts.

I feel like a decent chunk of sharks fans are just chomping at the bit for this team to play bad, since the team has a history of long periods of bad play, so they can point and tell everyone "told you so, this team was just playing good at the start again".

Last nights game was sloppy, specifically defensively and the 4th line, but it was still a fun game to watch and we got a point. Do some of you even like watching the game? Or just watch to figure out who you want to discuss trading or complaining about?

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Matt Irwin has been incredibly unimpressive this year. Very disappointed in how he has been playing.

Once this Sharks roster is healthy the Kings won't be able to match their depth.

I just hope they get healthy with enough time to develop some chemistry before the playoffs.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
I really didn't think Sheppard had that bad of a game. The Too Much Man penalties suck, but you can't put all the blame on him as there are a ton of other factors. Certainly not guilt-free, but analysts always say those type of penalties are coach's penalties, or it could have been that the player getting off was coasting to the bench. It's also a pretty subjective penalty with the whole 2 feet rule.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Lol from hero to zero in one games time for sheppard. Fans are so fickle. The guy obviously doesn't belong on the top line with Thornton for extended time, but he definitely doesn't need to be traded due to arguable brain farts.

I feel like a decent chunk of sharks fans are just chomping at the bit for this team to play bad, since the team has a history of long periods of bad play, so they can point and tell everyone "told you so, this team was just playing good at the start again".

Last nights game was sloppy, specifically defensively and the 4th line, but it was still a fun game to watch and we got a point. Do some of you even like watching the game? Or just watch to figure out who you want to discuss trading or complaining about?

Play bad or trade for a player they hate or draft someone they know nothing about. Even to sign for a contract that they can complain about.

My Polyanna outlook on this game, with Kool-aid in hand and wearing my San Jose Sharks Media tie, we scored 3 on Quick and we didn't even look like a cohesive team. We pulled out a valuable point when we are missing some very valuable players. Let's see the Kings do without, say, Brown and Doughty. Equal??

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Lol. You all REALLY need to go back and read the GDTs from the Montreal and Ottawa games.

After those two games a lot of people were stoked with how Sheppard was playing on the JT line, and now after one bad one he's a "failed experiment" and needs to be traded. I love you guys but you can drive me crazy sometimes with your bipolarness and short-term memory.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Matt Irwin has been incredibly unimpressive this year. Very disappointed in how he has been playing.

Once this Sharks roster is healthy the Kings won't be able to match their depth.

I just hope they get healthy with enough time to develop some chemistry before the playoffs.

Irwin doesn't look comfortable out there. I'm guessing he's missing Boyle in a huge way.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Irwin doesn't look comfortable out there. I'm guessing he's missing Boyle in a huge way.

I know he is missing Boyle but damn ... Stuart and Hannan look better than him. Who would have though that 13 games into the season Hannan would be the best between Irwin, Hannan and Stuart. Stuart has been disappointing as well.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I really didn't think Sheppard had that bad of a game. The Too Much Man penalties suck, but you can't put all the blame on him as there are a ton of other factors. Certainly not guilt-free, but analysts always say those type of penalties are coach's penalties, or it could have been that the player getting off was coasting to the bench. It's also a pretty subjective penalty with the whole 2 feet rule.

I just thought his play was uninspired compared to his last few games. Sheppard just leaves you wanting more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad