Post-Game Talk: 10/30/13 Sharks at Kings. Sharks lose 3-4 in OT

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Sucks nieto was hurt. Bad game for havlat to come back in. Would've put him with Thornton tbh.

Yeah, I think Nieto's injury threw more disruption into the Sharks' road gameplan than anything else.

But, not sure if Havlat was capable of playing 1st/2nd line minutes vs physical LA in his first game back after multi-month rehab.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
You know something else that really bugged me tonight? Our 4th line played wayyyyy too many minutes. And I knew this before even checking it because everytime I looked up and we were stuck in our own zone guess who was out there?

I KNOW the fourth line needs to play regularly to keep everyone fresh. But on a game where they were ineffective and we had two days of rest before and also have two days of rest after, there is NO excuse for Desjardins and McCarthy to be playing 11 and 12 minutes respectively. Hell Brown probably would have had the same if he hadn't sat a good chunk of the first for his fighting major.

NO FREAKING EXCUSE. Ugh, TMac you disappoint me :(

There are plenty of excuses actually. Thornton's wingers weren't good. Havlat was playing his first game in almost seven months. Kennedy wasn't good either. That means the 4th line had to take on more shifts than normal. And early in the season is when you ought to play those 4th liners.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
You know something else that really bugged me tonight? Our 4th line played wayyyyy too many minutes. And I knew this before even checking it because everytime I looked up and we were stuck in our own zone guess who was out there?

I KNOW the fourth line needs to play regularly to keep everyone fresh. But on a game where they were ineffective and we had two days of rest before and also have two days of rest after, there is NO excuse for Desjardins and McCarthy to be playing 11 and 12 minutes respectively. Hell Brown probably would have had the same if he hadn't sat a good chunk of the first for his fighting major.

I think the ineffective play of Sheppard and Hertl bugged me more. Joe was awesome and carried them. The 4th line had a few decent shifts when McCarthy wasn't giving the puck away...They played a bit too much and kept getting trapped against the Kings top lines and or Doughty. Thems the breaks on the road.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
There are plenty of excuses actually. Thornton's wingers weren't good. Havlat was playing his first game in almost seven months. Kennedy wasn't good either. That means the 4th line had to take on more shifts than normal. And early in the season is when you ought to play those 4th liners.

There are 35 forwards averaging over 20 minutes a game right now. No one over 20 minutes tonight on the Sharks. I'm not advocating running our guys into the ground like that on a regular basis but you're telling me that on a game sandwiched by extra rest days and the 4th line giving up scoring chances left and right and generally playing like garbage we couldn't have gotten more out of our best players? Not buying it.

Couture 19:21
Pavelski 19:02
Marleau 17:38
Thornton 17:35
Hertl 16:26
Wingels 15:52
Havlat 14:01
Sheppard 13:19
Kennedy 13:02

McCarthy 12:16
Desjardins 11:37
Brown 8:02

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
The whole team needed a game like this. They came out with a point and I expect them to get back to the hard and fast mantra they had before Ottawa and L.A.

It's absolutely a "teachable moment" early in the season for many rookies and youngsters vs. a perennial division rival.

I actually think Sutter has more reason to be concerned than SJ.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I mean, we're just nitpicking here. I think a healthy Sharks team probably beats this year's LA Kings 8 out of 10 times. But when you have a great team, you get to ***** about the little things lol

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Also, some perspective to people talking about strength of schedule so far or whatever...

The Sharks have lost to Dallas (gross) Boston and LA, all on the road.
The Kings have lost to Winnipeg (Meh), NY Rangers at home (LOLZ), Tampa Bay, Calgary at home (Really?) and Phoenix.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

I actually don't mind that Tmac kept the minutes balanced. Look at the Kings' forward TOI. Sutter shot the wad for his top 6 - i.e., he went balls out to win the game. He'd never admit it but he did. If you look at their minutes for the Coyotes game the night before, you could tell Sutter wanted to preserve his top 6.

Evenwith an injured lineup, we got a point.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
There are 35 forwards averaging over 20 minutes a game right now. No one over 20 minutes tonight on the Sharks. I'm not advocating running our guys into the ground like that on a regular basis but you're telling me that on a game sandwiched by extra rest days and the 4th line giving up scoring chances left and right and generally playing like garbage we couldn't have gotten more out of our best players? Not buying it.

Couture 19:21
Pavelski 19:02
Marleau 17:38
Thornton 17:35
Hertl 16:26
Wingels 15:52
Havlat 14:01
Sheppard 13:19
Kennedy 13:02

McCarthy 12:16
Desjardins 11:37
Brown 8:02

TMac is thinking long term as he should. He can run his top players into the ground but then what happens come playoff time, their tanks are empty. We saw that ****show for several seasons when the Sharks ran out of gas in the playoffs.

Look at the TOI for the Kings top 6. If I'm sutter, I'm thinking 'wow, it took overloading my top 6 and Doughty and with a healthy squad to barely beat the Sharks on home ice even when they're missing 3 (4, if you count Nieto) players. Hmm..."

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I mean, we're just nitpicking here. I think a healthy Sharks team probably beats this year's LA Kings 8 out of 10 times. But when you have a great team, you get to ***** about the little things lol

Yep... Healthy Sharks team and both teams playing their best, I'd put my money on the Sharks.

All bets are off if the Kings pull another Carter-like move and land a legit #1LW.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
You and I know that not all teams are equal. The Kings, Bruins and Blues play the same tenacious, fast and tight checking game that causes us fits.

They handled the Bruins and Blues...just fine and in their buildings. Tonight they lacked the polish they had against those teams.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Yep... Healthy Sharks team and both teams playing their best, I'd put my money on the Sharks.

All bets are off if the Kings pull another Carter-like move and land a legit #1LW.

Actually I think the Kings will be looking to move out guys to make room for Vey, Toffoli and Pearson. They are NHL ready. Hopefully Sutter keeps loving icing those grinders like Carcillo, Clifford and Nolan instead of those kids.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I will say this ... I'm pretty damn tired of Justin ****ing Williams owning us. Seriously why does he kill us so bad? There's nothing about him that's better than a number of our players. Yet somehow he daggers us every damn time.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I will say this ... I'm pretty damn tired of Justin ****ing Williams owning us. Seriously why does he kill us so bad? There's nothing about him that's better than a number of our players. Yet somehow he daggers us every damn time.

He does. Hes a Sharks killer.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Actually I think the Kings will be looking to move out guys to make room for Vey, Toffoli and Pearson. They are NHL ready. Hopefully Sutter keeps loving icing those grinders like Carcillo, Clifford and Nolan instead of those kids.

That's unfortunately the position the Kings are in this year - icing numbskulls like Clifford, Fraser, and Carcillo while Toffoli rots in the minors.

For someone who said the Kings aren't as good as they were in 2012, you're right. But this is also a team that never really turns it on until March, anyway

At this point, SJ is clearly the more skilled team top to bottom. Kings' D is a mess and the bottom six is essentially worthless. The Sharks look like they can roll three lines that can score on any shift, which is always dangerous.

Hats off to a good game. Hopefully we avoid each other in April and May, because that last series was too much for my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->