WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
tumblr_lgszscuVPg1qfqhoro1_500.gif

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Sitting Sheppard after his 2nd brainfart - probably not even a message at this point. Once Burns is back or even Nieto, I bet he'll be in the press box. Then again, they could just stick him back on the 4th line (McCarthy back in Worcester). At this rate, he's just playing his way off the team.

Linkster

Beard goggles!
Nov 11, 2010
Coastal Sharkifornia
Just watched it again - 1st one is either on Jumbo or Sheppard. Both are on the ice as Kennedy was skating off. Marleau was the other forward forechecking to buy time for his linemates to get off.

I think wingers switch with wingers so I'm guessing it's Sheppard's fault.

2nd was clearly Sheppard's fault.

Yeah, the play-by-play report has Hertl-Thornton-Sheppard coming off the ice in the 2nd period bench minor; in the 3rd it was Marleau-Couture-Sheppard when the penalty was called.

But in the 3rd period penalty it looked like the D were playing the puck too close to the bench during the change.

Anyway, something major to work on in practice on Friday.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Sitting Sheppard after his 2nd brainfart - probably not even a message at this point. Once Burns is back or even Nieto, I bet he'll be in the press box. Then again, they could just stick him back on the 4th line (McCarthy back in Worcester). At this rate, he's just playing his way off the team.

I think hes playing himself out of the line up.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To GI, you're probably right that Sheppard is probably skating his way off this team. Irwin's a little tougher to gauge. I think the team has more faith in him at this point than they ought to but that could change down the road. They'd probably trade Sheppard to the team with a quality 4th liner to rent just to give them the salary. Shep and a 2nd for a good 4th liner where the team renting them out to the Sharks keeps some salary.

Irwin, I think, would stay and just be an extra since he's got another year.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
I honestly just don't think the Kings are as good as they were or as people continue to think they are. Easily beatable with a healthy Sharks roster, even on the road.

Not really pissed about the loss in general... more pissed off about the specific play of certain individuals who likely won't be on the ice anyways in the next week with guys coming back.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I think it's wrong to completely scapegoat Sheppard and not criticize Hertl. Yeah Sheppard had a bad game, but Hertl had a few lapses himself and looked really green, and it's been that way for a few games now.

Burns needs to get back soon because that line just isn't working right now despite Thornton playing great.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think it's wrong to completely scapegoat Sheppard and not criticize Hertl. Yeah Sheppard had a bad game, but Hertl had a few lapses himself and looked really green, and it's been that way for a few games now.

Burns needs to get back soon because that line just isn't working right now despite Thornton playing great.

I agree but the simple fact is that Hertl has more talent and at least gets a chance here or there in a game. Sheppard doesn't do that and Hertl hasn't cost the team with something stupid like bench minors.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
But in the 3rd period penalty it looked like the D were playing the puck too close to the bench during the change.

No, Couture had the puck in the neutral zone and King checked him causing the puck to go back to Vlasic, who, yes, was near the Sharks bench. This was all in front of Sheppard, yet he didn't pay attention to see that Kennedy was not close enough to the bench.

It was borderline but doing it twice in a game, I bet the refs schooled him, too.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California

Hertl looked overwhelmed just as I expected him to be against L.A. This was a good game for him to get under his belt.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
To GI, you're probably right that Sheppard is probably skating his way off this team. Irwin's a little tougher to gauge. I think the team has more faith in him at this point than they ought to but that could change down the road. They'd probably trade Sheppard to the team with a quality 4th liner to rent just to give them the salary. Shep and a 2nd for a good 4th liner where the team renting them out to the Sharks keeps some salary.

Irwin, I think, would stay and just be an extra since he's got another year.

Shep + 2nd for a #4/5 dman to pair with Boyle, I'd rather have.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shep get easy minutes with Jumbo against easy teams to showcase him a bit. They need to pump up his value.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I honestly just don't think the Kings are as good as they were or as people continue to think they are. Easily beatable with a healthy Sharks roster, even on the road.

Not really pissed about the loss in general... more pissed off about the specific play of certain individuals who likely won't be on the ice anyways in the next week with guys coming back.

I'm more ticked about the Bruins game. Jumbo's brainfart cost us but we really should have had that one.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Sucks nieto was hurt. Bad game for havlat to come back in. Would've put him with Thornton tbh.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

I'll excuse a 19 yr old playing against arguably one of the toughest teams in the Kings (like the Bruins). Shep isn't a young rookie so he gets a shorter rope.

Yes, Hertl has looked mediocre since Burns has been out but he's still a rookie

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Shep + 2nd for a #4/5 dman to pair with Boyle, I'd rather have.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shep get easy minutes with Jumbo against easy teams to showcase him a bit. They need to pump up his value.

When he's on the ice, he isn't that bad. But when you're just not at the proper level mentally, it catches up to you and he does too many stupid things for his role to be out there, even with Jumbo. I don't think they really need to pump his value. It's not going to really go anywhere, especially if he's just going to be tacked on for a rental. The other team is going to have to take a contract back unless the Sharks dump someone prior to that.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
At least I recorded the Warriors-Lakers game so I get to watch one Bay Area team #BEATLA tonight. Oh and what a beatdown it was... :D

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Bingo. He needed to see the real N. America game and he has. Let's see how he fares in his next game against the Kings.

The whole team needed a game like this. They came out with a point and I expect them to get back to the hard and fast mantra they had before Ottawa and L.A.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Bingo. He needed to see the real N. America game and he has. Let's see how he fares in his next game against the Kings.

Sigh... He has played in 12 other REAL N American games

And as for Sheppard... Let me put it this way: The Sharks would be better off with Burish

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
You know something else that really bugged me tonight? Our 4th line played wayyyyy too many minutes. And I knew this before even checking it because everytime I looked up and we were stuck in our own zone guess who was out there?

I KNOW the fourth line needs to play regularly to keep everyone fresh. But on a game where they were ineffective and we had two days of rest before and also have two days of rest after, there is NO excuse for Desjardins and McCarthy to be playing 11 and 12 minutes respectively. Hell Brown probably would have had the same if he hadn't sat a good chunk of the first for his fighting major.

NO FREAKING EXCUSE. Ugh, TMac you disappoint me :(

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad