Pre-Game Talk: 10/27 @ Nashville

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Sometimes it's better to throw out your backup in games you'll likely lose anyway. Gets him quality reps, makes the team try to play a bit better in front of them, and you get your starter some rest in a game he likely would have lost anyways.

I'm fine with it.

And he's likely such an unknown to the Predators, who knows, he may pull one out.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I like the move. Better chance to win in Chicago if Koskinen turns out to be a backup. But hopefully he is motivated to come in and steal a win.

Bingo, win win for todd essentially, either koskinen loses and everyone says its Nash, better chance against Chicago. But if Koskinen comes out and steals the game he looks like a genius

Reactions: ujju2

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Sometimes it's better to throw out your backup in games you'll likely lose anyway. Gets him quality reps, makes the team try to play a bit better in front of them, and you get your starter some rest in a game he likely would have lost anyways.

I'm fine with it.

And he's likely such an unknown to the Predators, who knows, he may pull one out.
Yeah I agree. I just would liked to see him get a game sooner.

Reactions: Aerrol

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah I agree. I just would liked to see him get a game sooner.

Certainly. I do think it was important to make his first game be on the road though to limit pressure from the home fans in case he lets a bad one in. I think many are so prepared for him to fail, that a bad goal may have got a cold reception from the fans. Couple that with the quality of teams that were coming into town, I can see where the logic came from.

Unfortunately, the 0-2 start put the Oilers in a spot where they felt they had to ride Talbot on the first road trip to get home limiting the damage. Don't think it was the right decision for the roadie, but I understand riding Cam for the home stand.

Now that we're into a normal schedule though, they need to get Koskinen into game shape. So he needs to play every 4th game minimum unless he really starts to crap the bed. Don't deviate if he has one or two questionable starts, but if we start seeing multiple bad starts then maybe you reconsider the options.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Nashville is a throw away anyway, they are a very, very good team. Good decision. Chicago is the one to really try and win.

Predicting 3-1 L.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
color me surprised that McLellan would make the logical decision instead of ride, ride, ride Talbot.

looks like a loss but the Oilers have been surprising. Maybe Preds take us lightly this time out.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's good, I was thinking Koskinen should get the start in this game.

I don't know what's going to happen, but I suspect we'll see good performance like we did against the Caps.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Certainly. I do think it was important to make his first game be on the road though to limit pressure from the home fans in case he lets a bad one in. I think many are so prepared for him to fail, that a bad goal may have got a cold reception from the fans. Couple that with the quality of teams that were coming into town, I can see where the logic came from.

Unfortunately, the 0-2 start put the Oilers in a spot where they felt they had to ride Talbot on the first road trip to get home limiting the damage. Don't think it was the right decision for the roadie, but I understand riding Cam for the home stand.

Now that we're into a normal schedule though, they need to get Koskinen into game shape. So he needs to play every 4th game minimum unless he really starts to crap the bed. Don't deviate if he has one or two questionable starts, but if we start seeing multiple bad starts then maybe you reconsider the options.

I'd buy this reasoning more if TMac hadn't run Talbot for 70+games two years in a row...

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Good decision to throw Koskinen in for this game. This would be nothing short of a statement win from him. A team like Nashville is absolutely impossible to play against from behind, so there will be little room for error for him.

This will be a big game for lines 2-4. Nashville is a very deep, complete team. We need all four lines rolling to compete.

If we win this game, I will be ecstatic. I still can't believe we are 4-1-1 in our last six against: New York, Winnipeg,Boston, Nashville, Pittsburgh and Washington.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Great test for Koskinen, hopefully motivated to battle another Finn in net and being his first game in the nhl this season.

Hopefully the boys in front of him show up again like they did with Talbot in the Caps game. Still lots of improvement and work to do but ease in one game at a time.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Another interesting note, we are still 3rd last in PDO - which is a decent "puckluck" indicator. We are at 97.1

Not that is means a whole lot, but if it were well at 101+ I would say we may just be riding a streak. But we aren't. Interestingly the Preds are 1st with 104.

Reactions: guymez

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I will go ahead and predict in true Oilers fashion, Koskinen will have 39 saves and then Chiarelli will sign him 24 hours later to a 4 x $4m contract :D

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Another interesting note, we are still 3rd last in PDO - which is a decent "puckluck" indicator. We are at 97.1

Not that is means a whole lot, but if it were well at 101+ I would say we may just be riding a streak. But we aren't. Interestingly the Preds are 1st with 104.

Not a big fan of PDO. If you ascribe it to luck, you are saying that on average, good teams and bad teams generate & give up the same quality of scoring chances (thus it should sum to 100). It basically says every team should have equal likelihood of scoring.

I've never understood how people who watch the game could conclude that to be true. The whole point of this game is to generate better chances than you give up. It's not about volume. A team that shoots 35 shots from the perimeter, because they aren't good enough to generate opportunities in the slot... while giving up 3 breakaways and 6 odd man rushes is going to have a PDO near 50.

Reactions: Soundwave

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Not a big fan of PDO. If you ascribe it to luck, you are saying that on average, good teams and bad teams generate & give up the same quality of scoring chances (thus it should sum to 100). It basically says every team should have equal likelihood of scoring.

I've never understood how people who watch the game could conclude that to be true. The whole point of this game is to generate better chances than you give up. It's not about volume. A team that shoots 35 shots from the perimeter, because they aren't good enough to generate opportunities in the slot... while giving up 3 breakaways and 6 odd man rushes is going to have a PDO near 50.

It's useful to evaluate teams that look unbelievably hot like Colorado a while back, they had a crazy team shooting percentage and really, really great goaltending. You can apparently stretch that out over an entire season but generally teams regress. And my understanding is that it is looking at every NHL team over a period of several seasons to get a better sample size.

I also think it's probably more useful because there's a whole ton of teams that are mediocre. Maybe 10% elite teams, 10% terribad teams, and then 80% roughly in the middle.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
It's useful to evaluate teams that look unbelievably hot like Colorado a while back, they had a crazy team shooting percentage and really, really great goaltending. You can apparently stretch that out over an entire season but generally teams regress. And my understanding is that it is looking at every NHL team over a period of several seasons to get a better sample size.

I also think it's probably more useful because there's a whole ton of teams that are mediocre. Maybe 10% elite teams, 10% terribad teams, and then 80% roughly in the middle.

I get your point, but ostensibly what you just said is:

If we agree that all teams are ~equal and there is nothing separating them, then this number should be 100.

To me, good teams will have a high PDO, its attributional, not luck. Even a team that fluctuates in PDO over a season could just as easily be "hot" and "cold" or "playing well" and "playing poorly" rather than it being "puck luck".

Think about a team that has 24 Connor McD's vs 24 Jordan Eberle's. We've cloned Jonathan Quick and given him to both teams. Both teams may have ~same shooting % (within 1% based on their careers), which team do you think will have the better SPCT? Is it luck? Or maybe one of those teams is better defensively?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the game against Nashville on Tuesday was a lot closer than the score indicated. This team can play with Nashville...I am expecting a very close game tomorrow.
The key will be Koskinen.

Reactions: RegDunlop
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad